Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it worth it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
Okay, honest opinion, and experience-
Talking about carb'd engines:
Is an upgrade from a carb'd good running 1.8L to a Carb'd 2.0L REALLY worth it?
Has anyone done it an said "WOW world of difference!! This RULES!!"
Or is it just another step in futility? (It's NEVER as fast as it could be...)
I can't afford a /6 and I can't afford a Jaby 2270, my car runs great, so is a well balanced well cammed, 2.0L worth the trouble? confused24.gif
TIA
Bob O
Brad Roberts
Yes. The 2.0 is a kick in the pants. The heads alone are worth 10+ HP.

B
Jake Raby
turn the 1.8 into a 2056, run 9:1 with a good cam and it'll haul ass.
914ghost
Psssh...of ALL the people to respond....you think I'm gonna listen to YOU TWO!? smile.gif
Where are the normal poor people?
I gotta drive the car everyday for a long time to come-whilest I build the 'other engine', and I hafta make the wife think it happened for free.
I was hoping to stay away from machine shops except for the heads and balancing, and away from "NEW" expensive parts- except the cam/lifters.
Like everyone I want the most for the least.
So, I probably cant afford ceramic lifters..I would however spend a few bucks to have Jake break the cam/lifters in...
So there.
Bob O
Jake Raby
Hell, 21 months ago I built the engine in my 912E into a 2056...

I built it old school! Just ran a fingernail across the rod and main journals- didn't catch a nail- its good..

Rebuilt the rods... balanced the assembly

Then balanced it and slapped in a *nice* cam.. Bumped up the CR and did my head upgrades.

The only new parts in it were the bearings and cam/lifters and the valves and hardware....

The rest of the stuff came out of blown engines I had taken apart (pistons/cylinders)

I built it in two days. Total investment was about 800 bucks.

45,400 miles later its getting ready for a full track weekend- I'll see if I can break it !
tat2dphreak
Hel yes... the 1.7 feels more than a 1.8... and a 2.0 is, well, much better than that...

I thought just like you... until Don came over with his 2.0 and gave me a spin around the block... big difference mein freund
Bleyseng
A 1.8l (76hp)in a 914 feels like a bug engine in the middle to me. A 2056 (115hp) really wakes the car up!! big time. Wow, power to pass these slow idiots!

Geoff
Gint
My first 914 was a 1.8 with 96mm PCs (1911), weber 40IDFs, and, *GASP* hydraulic lifters (PO installed). It could hold it's own with stock 2.0s. I'm sure the 2.0 had more power, but the low-midrange punch on that motor and the sound of the Webers was total blast. Kinda wish I still had it.
Bleyseng
Come over to JP's and you can drive my 2056 914. "Try it you'll like it"
914ghost
I've got your #, if I go I will try and be somewhere near you by 10 Am or so...
You coming back saturday night??
I'll take you up on that offer... . . but it'll be my downfall..
Bob O <_<
Bleyseng
Yep, I have to come back on Saturday night.
It will be your downfall to try a 2.0l 914.
Mo' power Scotty!!!

Mine is a 3.2l six....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.