Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your chance to get in on the ultimate brake upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
PeeGreen 914
For the guys that don't go in the garage very often I just wanted to make sure all you racers out there had the option to see this.

We are having a group buy on Porterfield pads and we are getting them at a very resonable price. This is the best and most cost effective upgrade you can do to you braking system. Here is a blurb from them:

R4-S High Performance Street Brake Pads - For high performance and heavy duty street conditions the Porterfield R4-S compound remains a top performer in the realm of street/performance brake pads. With the R4-S compound giving a friction level up to .41. This is an amazingly fast stopping brake pad. Simply put, they will give you an impressive increase in stopping ability with very minimum amount of pedal effort. Perfect for prolonged everyday street driving while also being capable of enduring the most severe use without fade. It is also rotor friendly of course. We have gone to great measures to ensure that the R4-S compound has the absolute lowest noise and dust levels possible, far below O.E.M. equipment or any other high performance brake material. The R4-S compound which has an overall win in the Baja 1000 is available for most models of cars, trucks, and SUV’s. Superb stopping power under heavy use. Great for occasional autocrossing, solo events, off road events and rallies. Perhaps one of the overall best performing, clean and quiet everyday high performance driving brake pad ever made. The R4-S compound is available for virtually any vehicle sold in the U.S. Also for rare vintage cars and special applications for street touring.

If interested just post here and a PM will be sent to you. beerchug.gif
6freak
What kind of money we look`n at Jon ...Ive spent close to a G on mine already and they still suck
J P Stein
Ultimate?
I'm underwhelmed.....
jsayre914
ballpark price?
popcorn[1].gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 21 2009, 11:49 AM) *

Ultimate?
I'm underwhelmed.....

That's okay JP. You don't need these biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
THANKS for working on this! beerchug.gif
The first day I raced with these R4Ss was also the first day with DOTR Hoosiers, new suspension joints, and lower alignment, so it was hard to tell exactly how much better they were than stockish pads but WOW the combo of high performance tires and brake pads was awesome. I'm hooked, and look forward to keeping these on my shelf for a busy 2009 shades.gif
PeeGreen 914
I remember when I have my four and I was running with these I never understood why people said 914 brakes were no good. Then when I got my six I was wondering my the mrakes were not as good as on my four. Well now I know it was the pads. JP still doesn't need these biggrin.gif
veltror
any idea of cost and would they ship to the uk?
lucky25
I would be in for a set
Dave
PeeGreen 914
Ends tonight at 6pm
yeahmag
Can I get a price PM'ed to me...
naro914
hmmm... my ultimate brake upgrade was to put 993 rear brakes on the front of my 914 - pretty much bolt right up ifyou have 5 lug conversion, with Hawk Blue pads... now THAT's ultimate 914 brake upgrade, not that expensive either....... smile.gif
J P Stein
"Ultimate" gets thrown around a lot, eh?

Brakes are one of those items that you should match your usage. A bit of excess is OK, IMO, but if you can lock up your tires ( and modulate your braking) as often as your foreseeable need, why waste time money and add unsprung weight?

Good pads for Porsche brakes are common. I always wonder the price of such things. I really wonder when the price is repeatedly asked but not published. IIRC, my Pagid were about 90 bucks a set of 4.
Eric_Shea
MAP (minimum advertised pricing) policies are common. It is in my best interest, while attempting to be a responsible reseller, to abide by them, hence no price was ever published in a public forum. Those who got the price were asked not to publish it.

You didn't ask. I believe you were "underwhelmed". Those who asked, got the price. Wonder no longer.
grantsfo
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 24 2009, 09:23 AM) *

hmmm... my ultimate brake upgrade was to put 993 rear brakes on the front of my 914 - pretty much bolt right up ifyou have 5 lug conversion, with Hawk Blue pads... now THAT's ultimate 914 brake upgrade, not that expensive either....... smile.gif

Agreed Hawk Blues had better feel to me than Porterfields. Also Hawks were quiet and Porterfields were very noisy.
Joe Ricard
"Porterfields" is pretty general
"Hawk Blue" is pretty specific.

As the old wise racer said above. Depends what you are doing with them.

Look up Carbo Tech pads. They have numerous levels of pad described with intended heat range.

If you know how hot your brakes get (mine get to the 450- 650 range
Pick a pad that fits.

Everything else is just settling and guessing.

I love my Porterfield R-4's on th track
I love my R4-S for Autocross and street.

ArtechnikA
I for one do not mind a bit of brake noise in a street car (and it is inconsequential in a track car).

If I am braking, it is for a reason (often it is for no other reason than to avoid crashing into the SLOW person in front of me). If a bit of brake squeal serves to get the attention of the oblivious person in front of me, I'm OK with that.

My experience has been that most brake noise occurs under light braking. A hint that you need to either get off the gas sooner, or brake later.

(This morning I had a yahoo in front of me at a stop light. We both knew he was (probably...) turning right, 'cause his signal was on. Light turns green, he accellerates (in his Toyota minivan...) BRAKES THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE TURN and continues. People in this part of the world REALLY BELIEVE the center pedal is the 'steering enable' pedal... There's no reason to brake in the middle of a turn pulling away from a stop. It just tells the world you (somehow) managed to go too fast in the 10 feet it took you to get there...)
maf914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 27 2009, 09:54 AM) *

People in this part of the world REALLY BELIEVE the center pedal is the 'steering enable' pedal... There's no reason to brake in the middle of a turn pulling away from a stop.

So I am not the only one who notices this. That always leaves me muttering "Get off the effing brakes!" My favorite are the drivers who think they have to brake before changing lanes. confused24.gif

People do it in this part of the world, too! chair.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.