Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fog light grills . metal or plastic?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crxnug
im new to 914,s and have question regarding fog light grills on a 1973 2.0 are these plastic or metal grills. any info would be much appreciated
PeeGreen 914
All that I have seen are plastic. Many are chromed though.
jsayre914
my 73 came with plastic chromed as well
Todd Enlund
Technically, plastic cannot be chromed... it is vacuum metalized. There are companies that will refinish these parts. If enough guys got together, I'd guess $50/pair would be possible. No, I'm not volunteering to do this... I am not planning on using my grills. biggrin.gif

A buddy of mine tells me that he had three sets of grills cast in aluminum.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
some of the very early cars had steel chromed horn grilles but early on production was shifted to the plastic chromed grilles.
ericread
The question was metal or plastic? The answer is Yes.

dry.gif
crxnug
thanks for the info
burton73
Just for you information PVC plastic can be real chrome plated. Real metal on plastic but it must be PVC. Radio knobs that where on Ford cars in the 60s like 67 Mustang or Mercury Cougar where done this way. Look it up on the web. I had a Cougar in 1971 and the radio had thin metal coming off of it.

Yes vacuum metalizeing is a common way to put bright finish on plastic. I have done a lot of jobs in the past in my plastic business on custom jobs. The problem is the tooling is a lot of money for a short run.

Another way is to spray sliver nitrate the way they do mirrors. That is a way to get a bright mirror like surface but the base must be finished super and you must understand that process. These are a lot of money if you want to re-do old parts.

I had a man that was going to do my gas burners that way and coat them with an epoxy. That was 27 years ago.

Bob
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I had 4 pairs done by the Vacuum Metalizeing process,(Open your Wallet) they

were beauty. Sent them 6 pairs 2 were not worth doing. I kept 1 for me ,sold 2

to guys on here for big $$$$$ . Still lost my ass, my advice is to buy new from

P.Parts or Automotion, or A.A. Much less hassle. Dave slap.gif
veltror
These are still available new from Porsche ordered mine today £64 each
ericread
QUOTE(veltror @ Jan 24 2009, 12:40 PM) *

These are still available new from Porsche ordered mine today £64 each

But the Porsche dealerships in Ohio won't take British £'s!!! I don't think they take Euros either. My god man, what to do???????

biggrin.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I'll bet they will take good old U.S. dollars ! Hell Canada isn't a foreign country

to us in Ohio. Really find how much they want, go to your bank , get the money

converted to U.S. and send them a bank draft. Dave slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.