Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trav012000
Okay so my clutch went out last week and it looks like the cable broke between the pulley and the release fork. No biggie right? Just order the parts. Well I got the parts in, hooked everything up then realized, "huh, seems the clutch just stays on the floor."

My release fork freely moves fore and aft. Am I as sheeplove.gif as I think I am?

Related question: The clutch cable is attached to the release fork with the clevis and one nut correct? I think that's what I'm getting from this picture (I'd of referred to my parts if they weren't somewhere on Highway 41 North):
http://www.914world.com/specs/enginedrop/ed27.jpg

What am I looking at here as far as repairs here? I'm no car guy, I'm a computer networking guru, but hey, I'm trying, and I'm trying to do it myself. piratenanner.gif

Thanks
GeorgeRud
If you can get under the car while someone works the clutch, you should be able to see if it's moving at the end of the covered cable or not. The clutch tube can come loose in the tunnel and not allow proper disengagement. Also, be sure you have it tight enough, there is some slack that needs to be taken up, and sometimes just eyeballing it is not enough. Be sure that the pedal is all the way up when you adjust the clutch cable at the trunion. Also, I've always tried to double nut the cable end so I don't have to worry about the nut loosening up.
Trav012000
The cable and tube have been replaced and are fine now. What I'm saying is my release fork moves free. Meaning I can move it with one finger to the back of the car (which is the position it should be when the clutch is on the floor) and it will stay there. There's nothing returning the release fork to the front of the car (which would bring the clutch back to the up position).
SGB
Um, I'm pretty sure a clutch job will be required. The failure might be the relese fork- thats called a "throwout arm" but probably is the throwout bushing- the little cup that holds the ball / hinge that the throwout arm swings on.
Trav012000
So I'm correct in assuming that if one would move the throwout arm (disconnected from the clutch cable) towards the front of the car, it should return to the back of the car when released and not remain towards the front of the car? Because like I said, it moves freely, no crunching, no tension in either direction.

Sorry if I'm a little slow on this.
GeorgeRud
Sounds like the trans has to come out (or pulled back) to get to the clutch. If you don't have any local people to do the work, Brad Mayeur in Peoria, IL knows these cars like the back of his hand.
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Trav012000 @ Jan 21 2009, 07:28 PM) *

So I'm correct in assuming that if one would move the throwout arm (disconnected from the clutch cable) towards the front of the car, it should return to the back of the car when released and not remain towards the front of the car? Because like I said, it moves freely, no crunching, no tension in either direction.

Sorry if I'm a little slow on this.

The pressure plate spring should be strong enough that you cannot move the throwout arm without the reduction ratio the clutch pedal provides.
Trav012000
Thanks Chris that's what I was looking for.

Import Autos here in Vincennes works on a friend of mine's 911 and came recommended by quite a few here in town.

So since I'm going to be in there anyway, I suppose I should get one of the clutch kits from PP and kill 6 birds with one credit card?
ericread
I had a similar clutch problem.

Click to view attachment

There's a little bearing that is held captive by the clutch retaining plate (#6 above). If it comes lose, the throw-out fork no longer has a lever point, and you can move the throw-out fork around with your bare hand.

To fix, you need to drop the transmission (about a 2 hour job), make sure the retaining plate and fork are properly attached, and re-install the transmission.

It's a good afternoon of work. But if I can do it (and I have), then just about anybody with a few tools and a good vocabulary of swear words can also do it.

Eric Read wavey.gif
racunniff
QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 22 2009, 08:40 AM) *

There's a little bearing that is held captive by the clutch retaining plate (#6 above). If it comes lose, the throw-out fork no longer has a lever point, and you can move the throw-out fork around with your bare hand.

To fix, you need to drop the transmission (about a 2 hour job), make sure the retaining plate and fork are properly attached, and re-install the transmission.

It's a good afternoon of work. But if I can do it (and I have), then just about anybody with a few tools and a good vocabulary of swear words can also do it.

Eric Read wavey.gif

agree.gif

While you're in there, it's not a bad idea to replace the various now-easily-accessible bushings. All are typically in stock at the Bird.
Trav012000
Here's hoping it just came loose. smile.gif
ericread
QUOTE(racunniff @ Jan 22 2009, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 22 2009, 08:40 AM) *

Eric Read wavey.gif

agree.gif

While you're in there, it's not a bad idea to replace the various now-easily-accessible bushings. All are typically in stock at the Bird.

Thats a good idea. And while your in there. make sure the throw-out bearing clips (number 9 in the diagram) have been installed. I've seen several cars that did not have these installed and that can also cause some unwanted slop.

Eric

Trav012000
I just figured I'd share my pain with those who would appreciate my position.

So I finally got the Super Clutch Kit ordered on the 18th. It came in on the 25th. I just took the box, opened it up and glanced inside. Since I was going to have someone else install it I didn't bother taking it all out of the box. Well yesterday (the day my mechanic was actually able to start work on it, I get a call. No flywheel was in the box. I double checked my order and I did order the correct $970 kit.

So my mechanic isn't too happy, I'm tying up one of his lifts. And I'm currently talking to the PP people and I'm waiting on word back from the person I was dealing with's boss. All the while I'm going to be charged for taking up lift time.

I suppose I should have double checked that everything was shipped. sad.gif

Ive got the shipping weight of the box (without the muffler gaskets which were for the wrong model year and the clutch alignment tool). It was 33.6 lbs according to fedex. I dont know if that was given to them by PP or if they have to verify the weight though. Anyone know how much that box should have weighed with a flywheel in it?
Trav012000
QUOTE(Trav012000 @ Mar 3 2009, 08:34 AM) *

I just figured I'd share my pain with those who would appreciate my position.

So I finally got the Super Clutch Kit ordered on the 18th. It came in on the 25th. I just took the box, opened it up and glanced inside. Since I was going to have someone else install it I didn't bother taking it all out of the box. Well yesterday (the day my mechanic was actually able to start work on it, I get a call. No flywheel was in the box. I double checked my order and I did order the correct $970 kit.

So my mechanic isn't too happy, I'm tying up one of his lifts. And I'm currently talking to the PP people and I'm waiting on word back from the person I was dealing with's boss. All the while I'm going to be charged for taking up lift time.

I suppose I should have double checked that everything was shipped. sad.gif

Ive got the shipping weight of the box (without the muffler gaskets which were for the wrong model year and the clutch alignment tool). It was 33.6 lbs according to fedex. I dont know if that was given to them by PP or if they have to verify the weight though. Anyone know how much that box should have weighed with a flywheel in it?

I answered my own question. They've got the shipping weight on PelicanParts.com listed as 31 lbs for the whole kit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.