Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suby oil pans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
charliew
I already posted on a few threads awhile back that when I first started a dunebuggy suby/901 thread that when I got the adapter and stuff from kennedy they also offered a big short suby oil pan. I wanted to make my own but wanted to use their stamping to make it simpler. I used their stamping and top plate and added some sbc cheater swinging gates from speedway motors. I think it came out great. I think I found out about the pan from a thread that showed someone making his own. Don't remember the exact thread. Annnnyway I just bought the parts from kennedy and speedway. Seems like it was less than 100.00 from kennedy and the pan holds about 8 qts and is about 4-5/8 deep with a gate on each wing to keep the oil around the pickup. You can make your own gates out of hinges. I also made a short pickup by unbrazing the original and shortening it and silversoldering it back. I also reinforced it with a additional support to one of the windage tray bolts. This was for the dunebuggy but it will work on the 914 except if you use the small car mount as it won't fit inside the mount.

On suby motors it should be said that the oil pickup to pan clearance should be checked even on stock applications. I found that brand new parts have wide tolerance variations. On a new sti pan and pickup the gap was ony 3/32. I like about 7/16 for high rpm applications. I built my son a 8qt pan for his sti and formed a new bottom to fit inside the equal length perrin headers he was using. It looks like a triangle from the bottom or sorta like texas. It also has gates. When I cut the bottom out, I couldn't get all the ends on one piece to bend up so that left one wing end open and that left a easy way to measure the modded pickup. On this pan I had to add aluminum heat shields to go between the header and the pan. It's all pretty tight.
effutuo101
very nice. I would like to see a pic of the buggy when you have it together. I grew up in SoCal and love to run out to Glamis, buttercup, superstition and O. Wells.
The wife is looking forward to our move back so she can take her Jeep Jeep out and play
charliew
Weeell I got sidetracked on the 914 suby deal and now think a mid engine chassis will work on some other projects patiently waiting on me. A 58/64 beetle that I made into a pickup in the late 60's, a speedster kit I've had over 10 yrs. and now the dune buggy. The 914 rear swing arms may be the answer on a rear suspension to get the width for the motor. I have a lot of parts for subys and vws so once a midengine chassis is done the vw pan based stuff might be easy. If I can come up with a radiator setup like the new meyers manx it would help. That was the hold up on the dune buggy, I didn't want to completely remake the front end as I have already redone the rear end considerably with a fiero rear trunk lid and tail light assembly with a lockable trunk to cover the tail dragger suby and 901.

I may never do the tail dragger stuff as the suby tranny mid engine setup is inmo a better way to go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.