Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found cheap 915 transaxle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dkjens
I've found a 915 transaxle fairly local for a good price ($325.00). The stamped numbers are given as 911/01 7111735. Supposed to be out of "70/71 911. I'd like to know a little ablout what gears I can expect to find in it, so if anybody can tell me what these numbers means, I'd appreciate it.

Jens
Eric_Shea
Found cheap 915 transaxle

No such thing especially if you're putting it in a 914.

Now... the other thing is, that's a 911 not a 915. That is the correct year (70/71) and they are starting to go for money.

"Expect" a basic T ratio in that box.

It's a good tranny to flip the R&P on and install in a 914. That's what I'll be running with MSXZA
Eric_Shea
Buy it BTW. You'll double your money by offering it on the right board.
dkjens
It should be fine for a Chevy sb 350 with 500HP max though, right?

I have a local friend with a shop here in Pasadena. I am sure I can have him make it to my likings for a fraction of the normal $60-$80 shop rate he he.

Oh, and where should I go look at shift linkage for this trany?

Jens
Eric_Shea

Wrong biggrin.gif

Again, buy it, sell it, use the money as a down payment on a 915 conversion for that kind of HP.

Here come all the naysayers... yes, you can run a 911/901 with that type of HP but, you'd better play "really" nice with it. First thing to go will be 1st gear. They call it 1st gear because it's the 1st to snap off the mainshaft. biggrin.gif Plan on munching through CV's as well. wink.gif

You'll need a real 915, flipped R&P and a Wevo kit. e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e... sad.gif
drgchapman
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 22 2009, 02:25 PM) *

You'll need a real 915, flipped R&P and a Wevo kit. e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e... sad.gif

agree.gif

915 Wevo is the way to go. Bullet proof, pretty much.
I have one, running a 3.2 through it.
~$9000.00 gear box.
WEVO makes great stuff. You'll pay for it, you'll love it.
Aaron Cox
911/01 vs a 901 box....

Slightly bigger clutch correct?
LarryR
QUOTE(dkjens @ Jan 22 2009, 01:55 PM) *

I have a local friend with a shop here in Pasadena. I am sure I can have him make it to my likings for a fraction of the normal $60-$80 shop rate he he.

Oh, and where should I go look at shift linkage for this trany?

Jens

Its the opposite of what you want for a v8. The early 915's had a 7:31 ring and pinion. The later 915's had an 8:31 ring and pinion which would be much better suited to a v8. I also believe that the early 915's have smaller axle flanges, magnesium case which in and of itself is not bad but there were a lot of improvements in the later aluminum case 915's... thats the short list...

But as Eric said its a smokin deal for 325. If it were me it would already be in my garage...
SLITS
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jan 22 2009, 06:07 PM) *

911/01 vs a 901 box....

Slightly bigger clutch correct?

Yeh Lurch .... it's a 225 mm clutch with the 215 mm hub so it works with the 901 input shaft.

It also features the use of the "911 pull clutch".

If it doesn't have the clutch fork don't consider buying it ... they are extremely hard to find and are NLA.

Special 2 year throwout bearing ... $180.00 or the clutch package is $800.
Joe Bob
An early trans like that have the less than optimal differential side cover that can bulge under heavy loads. Then can explode and take the rear end with it. 500HP? G-50 or a 930 trans......

They will all last awhile, it's when you get tired of going home on the hook and build a decent trans for longevity when you start dumping the big $$$.

Now let's talk intermediate plate and bearing shells that oval out....
brp986s
The early mag box has a cast-in steel bearing retainer like a 901 and is much less susceptiple to wear compared with the alum boxes. The early 915 has a linear bearing on the shift shaft which may help with minimizing slop. I don't want any legal trouble, but the wevo "sideshift" looks like a tailshift to me, and if so, slop = bad. Mines not on the road yet - we'll see. What are the improvements in the later aluminum case 915's?
Cap'n Krusty
"911" trannies crack above the front mainshaft bearing on the top left side of the case. That's why they're hard to find. It's VERY important that you look carefully at this part of the case before you spend your money. And, yes, the release fork is HUGE dollars, IF you can find one. I bought the last one in the parts system about 7-8 years ago, and it was well over $300, shop price. They wear out in the "cup" area.

The Cap'n
dkjens
Thanks for all the input. I've talked to Eric Shea and he's put me right as to what exactly it is I'm looking at, as well as how much money is involved in using this, or a 915/930/G50/52 in a mid engine car, wheew, that Wevo kit is E X P E N S I V E. I think I will just maybe find another 901 tranny, the right gears, get an aluminum intermediate plate, etc. and have a good five speed (with four strong gears) made.

The tranny mentioned in this thread is i Mojave, CA, here's the link, if anybody else wants to pick it up. The guy also has a '73 914 which may be of interest: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/pts/996038536.html

Jens
byndbad914
901 box, regardless of whiz-bang upgrades, etc will never handle the torque a 500HP V8 will generate, which will (at least should) be over 400 ft-lbs.

CA Motorsports (in AZ actually cuz he moved years ago) for instance offers a 901 with billet int plate, NO LSD, regeared for a V8 at $3K on eBay. The gearing seems reasonable but I would put money out there that it will fail with a 400HP V8 (which will make more than 350 ft-lbs regardless of cubic inches if making 400HP), not right away per se, but it will wear out quickly and fail probably within a year for certain.

The 915 won't hold up to 500HP either - I skipped both the 901 and the 915 because I heard so many horror stories with 915s and hot 6 cyls let alone a V8. A V8 will knock that box apart at around 400 ft-lbs, a six can do it under race conditions with around 350 ft-lbs as I understand it. I have seen a blown 915 box with lots of upgrades come out of a serious 3.6L (IIRC) racer - big six but maybe 350 ft-lbs.

And both require regearing period - I don't care what anybody's opinion on that is because both boxes are geared too low for a V8 - the torque a bone stock 350 makes means you don't need the low gearing to keep in any sort of power band... higher gearing would mellow the drive out and increase mpg.

The 930 is about the only way to go IMHO for any V8 due to gearing - the stock gearing works PERFECTLY with a V8 IMHO for a driver/track car. I recently went with the sequential box with tighter gearing for the race track, but it hums along at nearly 4K at CA fwy speed whereas the 930 box is perfect for freeway cruising.

Remember, that box was built to run behind turbo cars and can roll along around 200mph in top gear, so it is geared well.

Both the 915 and the 930 cost the same money to install in the car and there are adapters out there for both. The 930 can run inverted all day long every day so you don't have to flip the R&P but a lot of guys like them upright. I ran mine inverted with a full sump oil pan to cut down pan height.
SirAndy
QUOTE(brp986s @ Jan 22 2009, 08:10 PM) *

the wevo "sideshift" looks like a tailshift to me

Yes. And no. The 915 is by design a tailshifter when installed in a 914. The WEVO endcover allows for the use of a simple, straight shiftrod as used by the 901 sideshifter thus making it work with your 914 sideshifter setup.

bye1.gif Andy
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 23 2009, 12:08 AM) *

"911" trannies crack above the front mainshaft bearing on the top left side of the case. That's why they're hard to find. It's VERY important that you look carefully at this part of the case before you spend your money. And, yes, the release fork is HUGE dollars, IF you can find one. I bought the last one in the parts system about 7-8 years ago, and it was well over $300, shop price. They wear out in the "cup" area.

The Cap'n

I think I have one of those arms. Does anyone have a part #?
Dr Evil
hijacked.gif Yup, I got one of those rare arms, anyone need it? hijacked.gif
IronHillRestorations
I've got a '70 911S engine and trans. Any idea what kind of gearing came with the S? I haven't checked the diff to see if it's LSD. I got an unbelieveable deal (complete engine real S, 911 exhaust, trans, muffler, no induction).
sww914
It's good to keep in mind that these 901 trannies were designed to last a long time with about 120 HP. The 915's last a long time at 175 HP.
At 3-4-5 times as much HP things start breaking. I know that torque is what really breaks things, but HP is easier to type.
turboman808
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Jan 22 2009, 02:59 PM) *

~$9000.00 gear box.

Really been wanting a Wevo 915 for a long time. I will have one someday.
brp986s
~$9000.00 gear box.

I can vouch for the $9K on the wevo. They may have a better mousetrap than porsche in terms of tailshifting, but it's no good if your box isn't good and tight. My wevo needed clearancing work on the casting. And don't forget the 915 starter, axles/cv's, speedo conversion, 915 shifter and shift linkage, clutch linkage, cables, trans mounts, exhaust mods, pedal box... wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.