Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket TypeIV motor mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Hamilton
Anyone here have leads on aftermarket motor mounts? I think I remember SirAndy having one made of box chromoly when he was still running a 4-banger. I'm looking for something solid and lighter than the stock bar.
Mark Henry
For the rubber mounts I wouldn't run anything but the stock mounts unless it's an all out race car. As for the bar you could fab up a bar that's lighter, but to be strong enough the weight savings would be small.
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 22 2009, 03:48 PM) *

For the rubber mounts I wouldn't run anything but the stock mounts unless it's an all out race car. As for the bar you could fab up a bar that's lighter, but to be strong enough the weight savings would be small.

Yeah, I'm looking for a bar that's lighter than the stock one.

This is for my trailered racecar, you might have seen it before:

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
Make a pair on the lathe, shouldnt take you more than a half hour smile.gif (assuming you have a sideshift)
SGB
Its been done. I think the weight savings were pretty minimal , as stated above. Seems like it wasn't even a full pound in reduced weight.
McMark
I wonder is a T bar would make it lighter. Four tubes for bolt passthrough, flat plate on top parallel to the ground, flat plate vertical.

I bet that would do it, and weight a lot less. idea.gif

I have a mount bar laying around here. I could whip up a prototype... welder.gif
Chris Hamilton
McMark that sounds interesting. I'm not sure what you mean though, you're talking about a motor mount like the -6 has?

Also anybody remember SirAndy's motor mount back when he had a type IV?
J P Stein
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jan 22 2009, 06:02 PM) *

This is for my trailered racecar, you might have seen it before:

Ayup, sure is ugly. biggrin.gif
Pretty quick tho. 2nd place material.
ChrisFoley
Why would you want to lighten one of the lowest parts of the car? That will raise your cg.
McMark
Here's a mockup design.
ericread
How does your design ensure there is no rotational flex, or do you feel this is not an issue? Do you believe this design can meet the stock design of keeping the engine in a very static position?

idea.gif
McMark
Eric, rotational stress along the length should occur between the center and the ends. There will never been end to end torsion, because the body is relatively solid (for the purposes of this design study). So you have a 1.75' section that's twisting, which is pretty short. I think the T-structure will provide sufficient strength.

Torsion comparisons between this design and the stock bar would be fairly easy to conduct. Drilling holes would also be an option that could be tested....
ericread
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 23 2009, 11:45 AM) *

Eric, rotational stress along the length should occur between the center and the ends. There will never been end to end torsion, because the body is relatively solid (for the purposes of this design study). So you have a 1.75' section that's twisting, which is pretty short. I think the T-structure will provide sufficient strength.

Torsion comparisons between this design and the stock bar would be fairly easy to conduct. Drilling holes would also be an option that could be tested....

Cool aktion035.gif

So how much weight do you anticipate saving?
Mark Henry
You will need a hole for the shift rod.
J P Stein
BTW, if ya'll want a rematch, it'll be at Packwood WA, August 8 & 9.
Ya'll come to our house & lay a whippin' on us'n & we'll call it even. biggrin.gif

I think Andrew remembers this car.
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 23 2009, 05:03 PM) *

Ya'll come to our house & lay a whippin' on us'n & we'll call it even. biggrin.gif

Yeah I remember that second place you got to our first on sunday biggrin.gif As I remember it we're already tied (BMWs don't count dammit )

How about a rematch without tire warmers? driving.gif
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 23 2009, 09:06 AM) *

Why would you want to lighten one of the lowest parts of the car? That will raise your cg.

I'm not too worried about the CG when the whole car needs to be lighter. By that logic we should be adding lead panels to the floors to lower the CG. Overall weight is a much more important factor right now.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jan 24 2009, 05:06 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 23 2009, 05:03 PM) *

Yeah I remember that second place you got to our first on sunday biggrin.gif As I remember it we're already tied (BMWs don't count dammit )

How about a rematch without tire warmers? driving.gif

Well the event was cumulative times for 2 days just like the SCCA does at the Nationals, but Andrew did a fine come back on day 2....... but not enuff to make up for the first day's ass kicking.

Sure, no tire warmers and no changing the car for day 2. biggrin.gif

Brit's unfortunate cones after the lights on his last run let both you'z guys and the Beemer thru on day 2. We did OK for our first time on concrete *at your house*.
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 23 2009, 11:22 AM) *

Here's a mockup design.

I like that design, but the car still has a sideshifter and typical linkage. I'll have to take some measurements of the hole in the stock motor mount.
McMark
Clearance for the shifter wouldn't be too big of a deal. I'm searching for appropriate 'tubes' for the bolts to pass through.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jan 25 2009, 10:52 AM) *

the car still has a sideshifter and typical linkage.

Do you guys even shift that car at all? It seems, all you would need is 2nd gear.

Throw away the shifter and linkage and remove all unneeded gears from the tranny ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: Do you still have the steel targa bar?
Chris Pincetich
I like the idea of a six-like mount for a TIV that was mentioned before.
Should be small and slick design once the front fan housing is removed (which it is on this 914 last I looked).
Trying something new is cool beerchug.gif
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 25 2009, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jan 25 2009, 10:52 AM) *

the car still has a sideshifter and typical linkage.

Do you guys even shift that car at all? It seems, all you would need is 2nd gear.

Throw away the shifter and linkage and remove all unneeded gears from the tranny ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: Do you still have the steel targa bar?

Yeah we have the steel targa bar, but we aren't cutting out pieces of the structure of the car, it already flexes enough as it is.

If I remember correctly you had a tubular steel motor mount in your car at one point, do you still have it or any pictures?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jan 26 2009, 12:23 PM) *

If I remember correctly you had a tubular steel motor mount in your car at one point, do you still have it or any pictures?

I looked for pics but i couldn't find any.

I trashed it after a week or so and went back to the stock bar ...
shades.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
Here is Paul Woodbury's (URY914) engine bar...love the wheels.... biggrin.gif

Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 26 2009, 12:38 PM) *

Here is Paul Woodbury's (URY914) engine bar...love the wheels.... biggrin.gif

I like that. beerchug.gif Are there more pictures around?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.