Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who is a good flipper in the Ca. E. Bay area?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR
Ring and pinion flipper that is beerchug.gif I picked up a 915 today and I was talking to a shop local to me and he recommended Hollerans in Pinole. I figured I would ask here to see if anyone has used them or if there are any other people to consider.

John at Valhalla said Hollerans is the only shop with a jig for setting the pinion depth. With all the porsche activity around here it seems odd that there would be only 1.

John was saying you dont need the jig but it takes forever to get the depth/pattern right without it.

thanks in advance for info.
Larry
SirAndy
QUOTE(LarryR @ Jan 23 2009, 03:32 PM) *

it seems odd that there would be only 1

WEVO can do it but Hayden ain't cheap.

biggrin.gif Andy
stevesc_us
QUOTE(LarryR @ Jan 23 2009, 03:32 PM) *

Ring and pinion flipper that is beerchug.gif I picked up a 915 today and I was talking to a shop local to me and he recommended Hollerans in Pinole. I figured I would ask here to see if anyone has used them or if there are any other people to consider.

John at Valhalla said Hollerans is the only shop with a jig for setting the pinion depth. With all the porsche activity around here it seems odd that there would be only 1.

John was saying you dont need the jig but it takes forever to get the depth/pattern right without it.

thanks in advance for info.
Larry

Hollerans in Pinole does excellent work. Knows 914-6's inside and out. He has done alot of work on my original six and I won't trust my car to anyone else. John does complete engine and tranny rebuilds and is a master at body work. You should stop by and see his shop and take a look at the six GT conversion he is doing for himself.

GeorgeRud
This may be a silly question, but does the pinion depth have to be changed if you flip the 915? It seems that you're not changing the pinion depth by flipping the differential if you keep track of the thickness of the gaskets as it came apart.

It certainly does make it more of a pain to set with the flip, but it is important to have a quiet transaxle. If those gears were happy with each other before, you don't want to mess with their marriage!
LarryR
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 23 2009, 03:41 PM) *

WEVO can do it but Hayden ain't cheap.
biggrin.gif Andy

I plan on using their tail shifter set up but hoping not to sink a fortune in the trans.

QUOTE(stevesc_us @ Jan 23 2009, 04:00 PM) *

Hollerans in Pinole does excellent work. Knows 914-6's inside and out. He has done alot of work on my original six and I won't trust my car to anyone else. John does complete engine and tranny rebuilds and is a master at body work. You should stop by and see his shop and take a look at the six GT conversion he is doing for himself.

Glad to hear. If I dont hear of any other compare/contrast I will probably use them. John from Valhalla giving them the thumbs up was good and having 2 people say their work is good seems like they would be worth a shot.

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 23 2009, 04:15 PM) *

This may be a silly question, but does the pinion depth have to be changed if you flip the 915? It seems that you're not changing the pinion depth by flipping the differential if you keep track of the thickness of the gaskets as it came apart.

It certainly does make it more of a pain to set with the flip, but it is important to have a quiet transaxle. If those gears were happy with each other before, you don't want to mess with their marriage!

To tell you the truth I have no idea. I have never taken a transaxle apart. I was just picturing a differential and how they are shimmed. I was thinking left to right might not 100% equate to how it would be shimmed right to left.

Does the ring and pinions assembly come out as a unint and just have to be litteraly moved to the other side?
r_towle
With a 914 tranny it would not make a difference. You would not need to reshim unless you regeared...then you have to do it.

If all you do is remove the gear stack, set it on the table.
Remove the side covers...the ring gear and differential come out as one unit...
Flip them over and put them back inside...again, keep all the bearings sorted, in order etc.
The pinion gear is on the pinion shaft (on a 914 tranny) and that is where the shims are located to set the depth of the pinion gear into the ring gear...the ring gear cannot move front to back.

Assuming that the 915 is using a similar design you could do this with little effort...on a scale from 1-10 I would call this a 3.

You need to measure and replace the gaskets with the same thickness gaskets...so you pull the gear stack, measure the gaskets, pull the side covers and do the same..then order up your gaskets.

Its about 20 nuts you remove and reinstall.
The gear stack on a 914 can be pulled without removing the tail cover...thus leaving that gasket and the reverse gear in place and undisturbed.

You can do this...dont let anyone blow smoke up your bum and charge you a fortune.
IF you regear the gear stack...you need to send it out to set the pinion depth...that is when you change the position of the pinion shaft...or new bearings, or or or...

RIch
LarryR
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 23 2009, 06:15 PM) *

With a 914 tranny it would not make a difference. You would not need to reshim unless you regeared...then you have to do it.

If all you do is remove the gear stack, set it on the table.
Remove the side covers...the ring gear and differential come out as one unit...
Flip them over and put them back inside...again, keep all the bearings sorted, in order etc.
The pinion gear is on the pinion shaft (on a 914 tranny) and that is where the shims are located to set the depth of the pinion gear into the ring gear...the ring gear cannot move front to back.

Assuming that the 915 is using a similar design you could do this with little effort...on a scale from 1-10 I would call this a 3.

You need to measure and replace the gaskets with the same thickness gaskets...so you pull the gear stack, measure the gaskets, pull the side covers and do the same..then order up your gaskets.

Its about 20 nuts you remove and reinstall.
The gear stack on a 914 can be pulled without removing the tail cover...thus leaving that gasket and the reverse gear in place and undisturbed.

You can do this...dont let anyone blow smoke up your bum and charge you a fortune.
IF you regear the gear stack...you need to send it out to set the pinion depth...that is when you change the position of the pinion shaft...or new bearings, or or or...

RIch

Thanks for the good info Rich.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.