Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Got our 914 last Friday night and started on it the next day. Besides the rust /body work this week I started on the engine during drying times. It's a 76 2.0 fi, 53K miles. I dumped some gas down the throttle body and it fires right up. However the fuel pump wasn'tmworking. OK; I found the relay tray, pulled the fuel pump relay and tested it..OK...#30 female pin on the board has 12V. No voltage @ 86. Jump 30 to 87 and fuel pump cycles. Forgot if I checked 85 for grnd!!!!!! But I do have continuity between 85 & 86 (key off). It looks like 86 goes to 19 on the ECU and 85 goes to pins 16 & 24 on the ECU. If this is correct so far; if I check pin 19 on the ECU and find no voltage is the ECU kerplunck. What's the next step? All I've got is this Haynes primer! Thanks for any help.
Cap'n Krusty
Test the heater blower circuit by pulling up the heater lever behind the shifter, if it works, sub that relay for the fuel pump relay and see what happens. The headlight motor relays are the same, so there's another option. The computer controls the fuel pump relay, and you need to look at Brad Anders' web page for information on testing that. <http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/>

Good luck! The Cap'n
ericread
How about wiring the fuel pump temporarily directly from the battery? If everything fires up OK, then continue troubleshooting the relays and relay board. If it doesn't fire up, then it sounds like the fuel pump is FUBAR...

Eric
r_towle
Fuel pump only comes on for 1.5 seconds when you turn the key to the run position.
Turn key on...pull headlight switch...if the headlights go up, those relays work....they are located next to the headlight motors under a plastic cover...
Take one of those and put it in the fuel pump relay socket.
Replace both fuses in the relay board.
Turn key on...do you hear the fuel pump?
If not, follow the wiring from the fuel pump to make sure its still stock..and follow the ground lead...make sure its clean.

If you are trying to start it after a long period of it not being started...turn key to run, then off, then run, then off...about ten times...that will pressurize the fuel system again.

Rich
76-914
All good points. I did jump it when I jumped #30 to #87 and the pump worked, thogh I haven't pressure checked it yet. Heard a strange noise and smelled gas; found injector hose leaking. Cutoff, replaced it and broked the stud off in the head. I knew i had to pull it anyway so here goes. And Cap'n Krusty; thank you. Excellant, excellant diagnostic info at that web site. People who will take the time to condense this public info for those of us that read, should be knighted. Again, thanks for the web address.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.