Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the F*(#U engine do I have?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
OK, last summer bought a 73 supposedly with a 1.7. Thats what i assumed. Finally was able to read the engine number and it a GE case. Everything I have found says its a very late 2.0 ??!! It has the stock injection on it and 4 bolt intakes. The motor I have on a stand came out of a bus and has a CB on it. That one seemed to make sense, 1.7 dual carbs. What the headbang.gif is a GE case???
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 23 2009, 07:30 PM) *

OK, last summer bought a 73 supposedly with a 1.7. Thats what i assumed. Finally was able to read the engine number and it a GE case. Everything I have found says its a very late 2.0 ??!! It has the stock injection on it and 4 bolt intakes.

It's a 2.0 case, but it's a bus 2.0... very different animal.
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 23 2009, 07:30 PM) *

The motor I have on a stand came out of a bus and has a CB on it. That one seemed to make sense, 1.7 dual carbs.

Bus 1.7...
ws91420
2.0 L bus Hydro cam engine that would explain the 4 bolt intake on a 2.0
Mark Henry
Could still be a 1.7, they may have just used a bus case during the rebuild. Check the numbers on the heads and this site can help you figure it out:
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/index.shtml
Bleyseng
Pull a lifter out to see if its hydraulic or solid...GE were 79 (hydro) Bus engines rated at 67hp..low compression pistons with huge dishes...
But as Mark says check the heads numbers.......

Sell those dual bus carbs on the Samba as lots of Bus guys want those!!!!
underthetire
Thanks all. It sure is a hydraulic lifter unit. I kept thinking "why those guys always adjusting valves" Now I know, I got a POS bus motor!!!!
Mark Henry
That sucks, but your're not the first to find a bus motor in a teen.
Watch the classifieds as a complete engine often comes up, sell the bus engine to recoup some of your money.
underthetire
I probably will eventually. This engine seems to have a lot of torque and it runs nice and uses no oil at all. Maybe next winter.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.