Full Version: Weight diff between 4 and 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914runnow
Hi all....Would really like to know the weight diff. between
a 4 and 6 stock motors...
Thanx Rx
brant
Rex,

its about 150lbs. (a real 914/6 with mag case)
the aluminum early motors are 20 more than that
the late aluminums probably even more than 20

Gint
agree.gif
jasons
So is that just the motor? What about all the oil you have to keep in the oil tank? Basically, what would be the curb weight difference?
brant
QUOTE(jasons @ Jan 24 2009, 11:09 AM) *

So is that just the motor? What about all the oil you have to keep in the oil tank? Basically, what would be the curb weight difference?

Jason,
yep.. just the motor
I don't know the total, but would guess around 200lbs

-heavier carbs
-oil lines
-oil tank
-heavier throttle linkage

of course a lighter motor mount
J P Stein
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 24 2009, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Jan 24 2009, 11:09 AM) *

Jason,
yep.. just the motor
I don't know the total, but would guess around 200lbs

-heavier carbs
-oil lines
-oil tank
-heavier throttle linkage

of course a lighter motor mount

Humph.......I'd guess the difference would be closer to 100-125 installed.
The problem I have here is nobody with a car gutted out like mine and running a T-4 will say (or knows) how much it weighs.

Mine weighs 1725 as is. With a 200 lb difference that would put it at 1525 with a
T-4. Randal says he's at 1650 or so. Nobody else is talking.

The official weight of a stock 914-6 is under 2000, IIRC.

Anybody caring to straighten me out ....speak up.
HAM Inc
I weighed my race ready engine and tranny before installing them into the car last year on a pair of my race scales. The engine and tranny were bolted together and the engine was complete, just the way it came off the dyno. The total weight was 293. I can't remember what the tranny alone weighed, but 95lb's sticks in my mind.

Anyone know what a 2.0/6 engine weighs with carbs?
J P Stein
75lbs sticks in my mind for the 901. I'll be pulling it out tomorrow and get back to ya'll. I know I can still pick it up & put it up on the workbench and I ain't gettin' no younger.....hell, I hope it's 95. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
The 901 with oil in, trans mounts still on, and a Guard TB LSD installed is 90lbs even on my bathroom scale. The added weight over a naked stocker is about 8lbs.
r_towle
Well that explains it...I had a hernia get aggrevated over this past holiday when we lost 6 trees and I had to get them off the driveway quickly...

I could not life the tranny up into the car so I took out the gear stack and did it that way...I thought I was just getting weak...

Rich
J P Stein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 25 2009, 04:57 PM) *

Well that explains it...I had a hernia get aggrevated over this past holiday when we lost 6 trees and I had to get them off the driveway quickly...

I could not life the tranny up into the car so I took out the gear stack and did it that way...I thought I was just getting weak...

Rich

Ah comeon....I picked it up & walked it over to the bench.....I'm old & all
stove-upish. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.