Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mojorisen914
I need to purchase a nice muffler for my 2.0. I'm looking for suggestions of what kind to buy. I'd like to have it produce a nice sound; not too loud but not to whimpy. The motor has carbs. I would prefer a one pipe exit out of the muffler (Not like the monza system).
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Links to sites would be helpful to.

Thanks.
tod914
Triad is real nice, but borders on loud for me. Notable increase in power over stock. Dave offers a version with one tail pipe turned down which I went with on my 75. Bursch isn't bad. See if you can get one from the factory unpainted then paint it yourself if you go that route. Paint on the Bursch burns off too fast. Stock would be the most quiet.
factory loudness 1 bursch 3 triad 4.5
dw914er
people swear by the triad... i have a monza right now, love it, but i think next time ill go with the triad
mojorisen914
I had a monza once before a couple of years ago. Most of the time I liked the sound but every now and then I would think it was a bit on the loud side. But still need an exhaust with only one pipe.

Anyone else have any suggestions or comments?
'73-914kid
This may not help you, so beware....
I'm going to be in need of a muffler soon, and I'm looking for something loud. It needs to keep up with my dad's Corvette, which is very loud!
So how loud are we exactly talking about with the Triad? Just from videos on youtube it shows the sound, but not the DB level...

IMHO though, Triad sounds the best, next to straight megaphones.
IronHillRestorations
From everything I've read and my own experience, the stock muffler is hard to beat for performance and acceptable sound level.
championgt1
Triad!

The right side pipe is turned down so you do not have to cut a hole in the valance.

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
I have used bursch (fairly decent... but rust immediately.... needs a real coating) and a triad. The triad was better sounding and a little deeper and louder.

I have since migrated to a header.....and a custom GT muffler.

Why not modify a stock banana into a GT style muffler?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=63852
tod914
if the triad is rated lets say 4 - 4.5 with the busch 3 and factory 1, monza would be 6 (way too loud for me). All kind of subjective, but should give you abit of an idea.
IronHillRestorations
I guess that asymmetrical dual outlet works well with the stock valance. I'd rather customize the right side of the valance to match. I don't think I could get used to the two different outlets.
r_towle
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 24 2009, 03:17 PM) *

if the triad is rated lets say 4 - 4.5 with the busch 3 and factory 1, monza would be 6 (way too loud for me). All kind of subjective, but should give you abit of an idea.

With the engineering (dyno design work) that went into the stock muffler, I would not agree with rating it at a 1.

The stock setup has a great sound, just a bit quieter than the bursch, yet puts out more HP than the bursch (according to GRM magazine....from what I remember)

If you like loud...triad...
Rich
championgt1
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 24 2009, 03:27 PM) *

I guess that asymmetrical dual outlet works well with the stock valance. I'd rather customize the right side of the valance to match. I don't think I could get used to the two different outlets.

When the car is sitting on the road you can't even see the right side pipe. Makes it look like a single exhaust exit.
mojorisen914
Those are some good comments to help me. I had a Bursch on there up until now. I agree, the Bursch does rust really quick. I think I'll go with the Triad and see how it sounds and performs. Is the Triad all steel or partially SS? Also, does it use the stock hanger too?
jmill
Has anyone used the bursch header with a 2 or 3 chamber Flowmaster?
Lavanaut
I had a triad on my /4. Not loud at all, I'm surprised by the comments here to the contrary. Slightly louder than stock, but really only on high-RPM deceleration did I even notice it. It does have a different, and in my opinion better sound that stock. And I do agree that if you get a triad you'll notice a power increase...i was surprised, really didn't expect it.

Below is a pic of my mod'd valence. And if you're interested, here are about 50 pics of the process. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
tod914
Rich I was using the number value as a noise rating only.
mojorisen914
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jan 25 2009, 12:22 AM) *

I had a triad on my /4. Not loud at all, I'm confused by the surprised by the comments here to the contrary. Slightly louder than stock, but really only on high-RPM deceleration did I even notice it. It does have a different, and in my opinion better sound that stock. And I do agree that if you get a triad you'll notice a power increase...i was surprised, really didn't expect it.

Below is a pic of my mod'd valence. And if you're interested, here are about 50 pics of the process. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

I checked out your link. Nice job on the install.

I think I'm sold on the Triad. I'll have to order one.

Thanks everyone for their input.
Lavanaut
Thanks. Great product, built like a tank, nice sound, looks sharp. You'll be happy with your decision. Post pics once it's on your car!

bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.