Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring rates?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
fasthonda
I'm setting up my 914 for the track. What springs rates/torsion bars do you guys run front and rear.

Car is a 914-6, 225/50-15 R compound tires, Bilsteins, front 22 mm bar.

Thanks for your Advice.

Michael
J P Stein
Well now, tough question.....there are many variables.

I run 21mm front T-bars with 275lb rear springs. The Bils are custom valved for these rates and for AX, not track. The car weighs 1900 lbs with me in it.

drew365
Front: 23mm T-bar, 23mm Smart SB
Rear: 450# springs, 19mm SB,

I was given this setup years ago by a guru. I've always felt it was a little too stiff but I never got around to trying anything softer. As far as handling goes it is pretty neutral.
d914
mine was simular to drew365 except I ran 200lbs -225 springs....then i saw pics under heavy breaking and hitting a big 90 and there was too much rear body action...450 might be steep but 300+ definitely will work.
degreeoff
OK dumb question but WHERE does one get springs that rate? I have Billy's.....
J P Stein
Coleman's for one.
One needs a few accessories. Nuthin' is simple, eh?
degreeoff
Nope....nuttin! I will know as to wether or not I'll be tearing down by the end of next month JP I HOPE my numbers are good enough on the leakdown to keep drivin.....!

Thanks man, I think my wimpy 180lbers are too small for my girl. So you need the adjustable perch too eh? What length are you running? 5,7 or 8" ?
J P Stein
I was serious about that BP break in oil. If anything will seat them rings, that will do it....give it 100-150 miles. If it works, you will feel the motor wake up. It may be a $60 cure.

The springs are 10 inch, the collars are 7in IIRC. Coleman's house brand springs are about 100 bucks a set. Available in 25lb increments. They have a website you can browse....I think you have to download their cataloge.....it's been a while.

Springs are another suspension tuning aid....one of the more useful ones.
PeeGreen 914
For what it's worth I have the same size tires and asked Greg Fordahl this same question. He told me that 225lb or 250 lb rear springs are perfect for a 914. He explained that if you go stiffer or softer you do not get the same characteristics that you want from the rear end. Oh, and no rear sway bar. this is of course for an autocross setup. This is only one mans take on it but I followed it and my car feels great.
grantsfo
I think to accurately answer that question we would need to know more about intent of the car. Will it be race car or a track day car, how much will it weigh, what tracks will you be running, etc.

I ran rates between 250 to 275 in rear with 19 mm front torsions and 21 mm front bar on a 1750 lb car. I ran Ground Control collars with 10 inch Eibach springs.
SirAndy
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jan 24 2009, 08:41 PM) *

I've always felt it was a little too stiff

Two words:

Roller Bearings shades.gif

I've driven a track 914 with 450lbs rear springs and roller bearings (front and rear) and it feels sooooo smooth.

I've got roller bearings and 250lbs springs in my street car and it feels just fine. They really do make a big difference.
driving.gif Andy
degreeoff
I will second the no rear sway bar idea....Ask me how I know?.....I save mine for the day I get a LSD.....
fasthonda

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I will elaborate some more on my intentions. This car will not be raced, but will be a dedicated track car (basic cage). Should weight it at around 2k lbs and has flares. Not completely set the the wheel and tire sizes. Since the car is light I'm thinking 225's on 15's should be suffcient and easier on the budget. HP will be in the 200 range.

I never see 914's at track days/DE anymore, unless its a vintage event. Looking to change that.

Michael
drew365
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 26 2009, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(drew365 @ Jan 24 2009, 08:41 PM) *

I've always felt it was a little too stiff

Two words:

Roller Bearings shades.gif

I've driven a track 914 with 450lbs rear springs and roller bearings (front and rear) and it feels sooooo smooth.

I've got roller bearings and 250lbs springs in my street car and it feels just fine. They really do make a big difference.
driving.gif Andy

I have Elephant bearings all the way around. I think the stiffer springs, T-bars and solid trans mounts makes for a stiff ride. If you think it's soooo smooth, maybe I'm just old.
SirAndy
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jan 26 2009, 05:55 PM) *

maybe I'm just old.

That's a possibility ... biggrin.gif

Aren't the Elephant bearings Poly-Bronze?
If so, they don't compare to roller bearings at all ...
bye1.gif Andy
drew365
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 26 2009, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(drew365 @ Jan 26 2009, 05:55 PM) *

maybe I'm just old.

That's a possibility ... biggrin.gif

Aren't the Elephant bearings Poly-Bronze?
If so, they don't compare to roller bearings at all ...
bye1.gif Andy

You're right, they're poly bronze. I've never driven a roller bearing car. Something I can aspire to. Someday when you come down to Buttonwillow, I can take yours for a spin, well maybe that's not a good choice of words. driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jan 27 2009, 04:52 PM) *

Someday when you come down to Buttonwillow, I can take yours for a spin, well maybe that's not a good choice of words.

Better than breaking a transmission main shaft ... slap.gif

I still owe you a beer or three for that one!
unsure.gif Andy
TimT
I run 400# front 450# rears, RSR struts & shocks, tires are 225&245 DOT R rubber, hot rod 3.2, short gears..front bar connected rear along for the ride

On a smooth track its great...on a rough track I bounce and skip all over the place...

Lots of fun at say 100 mph laugh.gif

You need to set up for the track condition you will see most... Seeing you are in S.C. its a good bet you will drive at CMP, Roebling, and VIR mainly?

Those are pretty smooth tracks, and you can get away with higher spring rates. Also to really effectively use the springs you chose.. you should have your shocks valved to match.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.