Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb set-up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
Are any of you running single carb, if so what kind of set up do you have. thanks
Al Meredith
My experience with the 32/36 is that you should open up the idle jet at least one size. This carb should run rich anyway as the manifold stays cold all the time. I also use metal caskets at the head as this transfers heat to the runners quicker. keeps it warmer which is nessessary.
r_towle
Funny, I was talking with Ray in NJ about doing just that..
How did the metal gaskets work? I figured aluminum ones to replace the phenolic spacer, then even wrapping the runner in header tape....

Rich
Dr Evil
I have a 4bbl adapter that is going onto my corvair engine. It is very much like the progy single bbl manifold setup and to overcome the issue of cold runners/carb I bought one that has a plenum welded on the bottom of the carb mount that engine oil is passed through. It will still likely suck until the engine warms up. Maybe an electric preheater would help?
eg914
I have lived with the progressive boat anchor for the last four years (on the car when I bought it). If you will ever drive the car with ambient temperatures below say 55F I would say don't do it. It really hates the cold. The fuel condenses out in the cold runners. The car tries to die, it is a dog. I just switched to a pair of EMPI HPMX 2 barrel carbs and it is SO much better. It is running reasonably by the time I reach the end of my street, even with a temperature of about 34F.
xperu
I never thought about the temp issue, and wrapping the runners; Bill can you give me more info on your carbs, 40mm, 44mm etc. Mike
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I have had all three types of carbs on my 914. ( Single 2 barrel , dual single

barrel Weber 34 Itc's , and dual Weber 40's . ) Buy far the best

running, performance, mileage, are the 40's. Single 2 barrel is dito on every

thing said above. Dual single barrel is dangerous , some one will be killed with

those on there 914 . Bite the bullet and get the 40 IDF's you will be a happy

camper. Or use the factory fuel injection, the best choise , more H.P. better fuel

economy. The choise is yours! My 2 cents Dave slap.gif
xperu
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jan 25 2009, 08:12 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

I have had all three types of carbs on my 914. ( Single 2 barrel , dual single

barrel Weber 34 Itc's , and dual Weber 40's . ) Buy far the best

running, performance, mileage, are the 40's. Single 2 barrel is dito on every

thing said above. Dual single barrel is dangerous , some one will be killed with

those on there 914 . Bite the bullet and get the 40 IDF's you will be a happy

camper. Or use the factory fuel injection, the best choise , more H.P. better fuel

economy. The choise is yours! My 2 cents Dave slap.gif

I have been thinking about installing the FI, what do you mean by some one will be killed with those on there 914, is there a fire danger. I am weighing the $ options on a car I have already spent a lot on. Currently I have a 2 barrel, but it just loads up in first gear and offen dies, it runs good in the higher gears. The weather has been cold here in the Houston area, could be the problem, maybe jets? Mike
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 24 2009, 07:05 PM) *

Funny, I was talking with Ray in NJ about doing just that..
How did the metal gaskets work? I figured aluminum ones to replace the phenolic spacer, then even wrapping the runner in header tape....

Rich

...determined to get the car running well with the single carb for the Spring and Summer...while collecting all the components to return to FI.

I'd like to think the single carb will be good enough to make it a run-around car for a short period of time!
r_towle
Measure the phenolic spacer between the runners and the head.
Its easy enough to remove one side.
Go to a metal shop (yellow pages) and get a piece of aluminum that is the correct thickness...damn close it OK...there is a bit of play in the system that will accomidate a few 10th difference.

Draw out the gasket onto the aluminum..
Layout all the holes first and drill them while its still a rectangular piece of aluminum...its easier to clamp down in that shape.
You can cut it with hand tools, a jig saw or bandsaw, and use hand files to get it right.

Header tape it easily obtainable from summit racing or a motorcycle shop.
Another idea to think about...if you remove the hoses that go to the heater fan (in the engine bay) and feel the amount of air that blows up from those holes...its pretty significant.
You could route that air (temporarily) and aim it at the intake runners..
This is done on the 356. The 356 uses a simple flapper that is controlled by a cable in the cockpit...
Open the flapper and direct air at the intake runners...close flapper and air will go back into the normal heating system.

Rich
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Xperu:

I mean the 34 ITC's are to small for a 914 , no matter what engine you

have, 1.7,1.8 or 2.0. They were made for a 356 or VW way smaller engines.

On my 1.7 there was no excelleration above 50 mph, God forbid you had to pass

something on the highway. Above 50 you need a mile or better to get around

another vehicle. At 50mph you run out of carb, that almost killed me.

I supose if you drive only in town they would be O.K. , not worth the risk.

Some may differ with me, but this is from my direct experience. P.M. me

if you need more info. my 2 cents Dave slap.gif

ps. as to the single it will always run like shit when cold, and not much better

warm. F.I. or 40IDF's is the answer.
eg914
I bought the Empi 40mm HPMX after reading a post a bit back saying they were decent. I ordered the kit from The OVW Company. The price was good. The kit had all I needed for the installation. I opened the carburetors up before installing them, and there was no junk in the bowls. They fired right up, and seem to be running great. I still need to balance them, but they seem pretty close.

The single progressive is a disaster looking for a place to happen. There were several times during cold weather when I thought I was in trouble because the car wouldn't go when I needed it to. Also, the electric choke is a problem. It warms up on it's own, not in relation to the engine temperature. When you park the car for 20-30 minutes the choke is cold/closed and the engine is still fairly warm. Makes for a great cloud of smoke when you start things up.

If used in warm weather the progressive is not too bad. It will get you around without much trouble. Just get rid of it before it gets cold out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.