Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HEMMINGS S & E
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
Got the latest issue of Hemmings Sports and exotics yesterday. It's a Porsche special issue. Not much 914 related but worth picking up anyway. Everytime my subscription is up they pull something like this to make me stay laugh.gif

GeorgeRud
They actually do a pretty nice job of showing different cars and the work people have done on them. Kind of the same thing I like about Excellance, it doesn't only act as a shill for the manufacturers, but actually has cars that we could have, tinker with, and enjoy. I kind of like reading about some of the other makes that people work on (I started with a TR3A and an MGB before seeing the light and going German).
Porsche Rescue
Excuse my self-promotion, but I entered their "tell us a Porsche story" contest for the Porsche issue. Didn't win the prize but made top ten with my 912 story. The editor cut my long-winded piece in half. Left out my description of trying to release the hand brake while attempting to leave the dealership with my new 914 in 1970. Maybe I should have told the story of driving from Chicago to Oregon with the one-owner tangerine 914 I purchased in 2002. And then selling it to Joan who proceeded to solo the car back to her home in Maine! Could have even included a photo.

Click to view attachment
ejm
hijacked.gif
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jan 25 2009, 12:23 PM) *

And then selling it to Joan who proceeded to solo the car back to her home in Maine!

Does anyone know where Joans car ended up? Last I knew she was moving to France and the car was for sale.
Porsche Rescue
Hi Ed. I only know that she made it to France. Not sure where the car ended up. Tried to find her email, but no luck. I am curious too.
1970 Neun vierzehn
I'm finding that I enjoy my subscription to Hemings S&E more than R&T (except for Peter Egan content). The cars in H S&E are for the most part cars that I came of age with, cars that don't offer the comfort, convenience, utility, and performance of even todays standard issue sedans and hatchbacks, but those old cars certainly had more character, required more driver involvement and provided a level of satisfaction in the owning (and maintaining and repairing) that exceeds the "turn-key" experience offered in todays contemporary cars.

I would always have a contemporary car for the utility and reliability, but never be without a classic, hence the 34 year ownership of my 914.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.