Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cleaning the relay board- alcohol O.K.?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I have found a couple of engine relay boards in my stash-o-parts for my 75 GT clone project. The bottom of the boards seem to be in good shape with minimal cracking in the potting. So I want to clean the top side,relay contacts,fuseholders etc. so what to use? I was thinking either alcohol or paint thinner. I want to be able to use a stiff brush to get everything nice and clean. Then I'd like to coat all contact points with dielectric grease is that good to use? Any suggestions are appreciated.
tod914
You can get contact cleaner at Radio shack, or HO model train track cleaner works good too.
quadracerx
I was just gonna say...Contact Cleaner rules... agree.gif I use it on computer stuff all the time....

Steve
underthetire
Watch out for contact cleaner. NOT ALL OF IT IS PLASTIC SAFE!! Just ask my buddy that dropped his cell phone in coolant then tried to " clean and dry it out" with contact cleaner. He was left with just the circuit board an battery. I of coarse laughed my ass off! w00t.gif

I have also had plastic safe contact cleaner react to stuff funny. If it is clean you want, 50/50 simple green with warm water rinse. Followed by a good alcohol rinse.
ericread
Alcohol is great!!!

Usually I prefer Maker's Mark (whiskey) or Patron Silver (tequila).

Oh, make no mistake, I wouldn't use either to clean the realy board, but they sure are fun to drink!!!

Eric beer3.gif
Triaddave
[I wanted to add something I found to work on the bottom of the relay board SHOE GOO available from K-mart. it is self leveling and drys over night. I know that was not the question, but thought I would throw this in...
[/quote]
jt914-6
You might try some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. It cleans electronics and is safe for most plastics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.