Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Ok, so this is my second 914. The first one had no interior at all ( but was fast as hell). On to my second one.

This car is complete, but what knob is supposed to turn on the blower in the engine bay. Is it the dash slider or the defrost lever? I tested the blower motor and it works fine. Everything else in the car works fine.

Thanks.
904svo
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 25 2009, 01:29 PM) *

Ok, so this is my second 914. The first one had no interior at all ( but was fast as hell). On to my second one.

This car is complete, but what knob is supposed to turn on the blower in the engine bay. Is it the dash slider or the defrost lever? I tested the blower motor and it works fine. Everything else in the car works fine.

Thanks.

The switch is located on the heater lever on the floor (the Red one) the lead is
grounded is ground when you pull it up, this operates a relay an turns on the motor.
Check the fuses in the rely panel in the engine compartment first they get dirty!
r_towle
The lever next to the shifter turns on the blower motor.
Its a ground circuit, so you wont see power on that lead.
Its a dirty grimy space filled with all sorts of crap.
Pull out the switch, it will come out a little bit if you have removed the cables from the flapper boxes under the car...
Leave the cable in place, just pull the switch out far enough to clean everything, the wire, the switch and get a shop vac under it to clean all the crap out..
If you cant get the vac in there, get compressed air and blow all the crap toward the rear and use the access panel in the back for the vac.

Fan also uses the same fuse and relay as the fuel pump....both located on the engine bay relay board.
Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 25 2009, 01:29 PM) *

The first one had no interior at all ( but was fast as hell). Thanks.

huh.gif You sure these are 914's ? blink.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Cevan
You can remove the lever from the cable and then you can disassemble the lever and clean it up. Mine was pretty dirty and was grounding out prematurely. There are a couple of plastic washers in there that provide friction. Once it was cleaned and lubed, it worked much better.
Dave_Darling
Pull the "defrost lever" all the way up. The contact closes when the lever is very near its maximum top travel. That is what turns the blower fan on.

--DD
Sleepin
...don't give her a wedding ring? blink.gif

...sorry, I tried....but couldn't resist.
underthetire
The first one had a buick 231. Thats why it was fast. Had that one in high school.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 26 2009, 04:06 AM) *

...don't give her a wedding ring? blink.gif

...sorry, I tried....but couldn't resist.

Buy it a sexy nightgown.

See your not the only one who is sick, You just beat me to it
underthetire
Thanks all that had usefull comments piratenanner.gif
It was the fuse in the relay board not making contact.
PanelBilly
Oh, and check the fuse in the relay board.
helios
So the lever should turn on 2 blower motors? The lever in my car turns on the blower in the engine compartment to pull from the heat exchangers. Is this right...or is my car all messed up? I know it has some electrical issues (wiper motors and driver side running lights) but I didn't think it was all hacked up. sad.gif
tradisrad
The top lever on the dash turns on the fresh air fan, the lever by the shifter turns on the heater fan. I wired my heater fan lever so it would light up the red box on the control panel. The fresh air fan should light up the blue box on the panel.
IPB Image
IPB Image
sorry for the dark picture...
helios
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jan 27 2009, 11:20 AM) *

The top lever on the dash turns on the fresh air fan, the lever by the shifter turns on the heater fan. I wired my heater fan lever so it would light up the red box on the control panel. The fresh air fan should light up the blue box on the panel.
sorry for the dark picture...

Sweet. Thanks for the clarification. I assumed they were on separate switches, but didn't know for certain. I tried reading through the owners manual a while back, but it wasn't very clear.
r_towle
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 27 2009, 12:00 AM) *

Thanks all that had usefull comments piratenanner.gif
It was the fuse in the relay board not making contact.

Good you found it.
I assumed (though I did write to check them) that before you sat down at the computer and typed that you would have checked the fuse...an assumption on my part...

aktion035.gif

Rich
underthetire
I had no idea there were lights on the dash sliders. Something else to fix now!
tradisrad
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 27 2009, 12:19 PM) *

I had no idea there were lights on the dash sliders. Something else to fix now!

The Blue light is standard from the factory. I added the bulb for the red light. I don't think the factory ever wired the car to illuminate the red box as there is no wiring for it, but there is a hole in the back for a bulb.
I used a clear LED in the red box (and installed one in the blue), I took the 12V form the blue side to the red side and hooked the other side of the red to the heater lever.
The fans are old and we don't need to run them while we are on the freeway so I thought it would be cool to have the light so I'd remember to turn off the fan when the engine is at speed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.