Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to secure windshield trim?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AZ914
Hey!

I'm looking for recommendations on securing the aluminum windshield trim after it was removed for my paint job. I thought it was down tight but at speed, it starts lifting off the car up on the roof line.

Any suggestions on the best way to secure the trim? silicone, etc..

Thanks smilie_flagge6.gif
davep
Did they replace the clips that hold it in place? Did they get the glass recessed to the proper location? If both are not done correctly, the trim will not stay in place.

DaveP
scotty
...the top center cap is the first to go mad.gif

As a kludge you could use some clear silicone sealer... wacko.gif
campbellcj
I had that happen once on my previous 914...I had the top off and managed to catch the trim piece as it was about to launch up over the car and onto I405!

The plastic clips usually hold it OK when it good condition. I'd check that first.

You can also screw the trim down, or use the racing windshield hold-down tabs (which will also hold down the trim)...if you don't mind the non-stock appearance and punching holes in your car blink.gif

I have some of the pretty (and expensive) little alloy tabs from Smart Racing Products to install shortly.
AZ914
Thanks.... its probably the clips. I didn't have the windshield out for the paint job, just pulled the trim and masked the glass/rubber. I think I've seen those on PP -- I probably have some broken ones...

It really sucked driving with my hand out the window holding the trim down...
Brad Roberts
They are one time use only. Pull chrome off for anything.. better plan on replacing them.

B
markb
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 19 2004, 02:17 PM)
They are one time use only. Pull chrome off for anything.. better plan on replacing them.

B

agree.gif
Don't you also have to pull the windshield to replace them?
campbellcj
I'm pretty sure you do have to R&R the windshield and seal as the clips are kind of embedded in/under the seal...
meursault
The hell with it. Use duct tape, but only the type that is rated for 200 mph.

Seriously, though, you need to remove the windshield to replace the clips. Any time a windshield is replaced, the clips should be replaced at that time as well. You'll hate yourself later if you try to use silicon to keep the trim on.
scotty
agree.gif BIG time!
d7n7master
I removed my windshield trim for paint too. I had a bitch of a time gettin' it back on. Ended up using black RTV. The trim bent in places it wasn't suppose to bend when I was re-installing it so not it looks worse than before I removed it. I don't like it but new trim is big $$$. Doesn't anybody make "cal rubber" for 914's? It looked good on my bug.
krk
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 19 2004, 08:22 PM)
I'm pretty sure you do have to R&R the windshield and seal as the clips are kind of embedded in/under the seal...

Well that sucks. I'll have the same problem with mine once it runs. The trim on the lower drivers side seems loose at the corner.

kim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.