Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: close-up of correct '70 carpet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Periodically the question arises as to correct carpet for a 19** 914. Here are some close-ups showing coloration and texture of OEM 1970 US-spec material. The quarter is placed to show scale. As most are aware, from a distance the color looks consistent, but upon close inspection, the carpet comprises different color fibers.

1970 Neun vierzehn
Photo 2 of 4
1970 Neun vierzehn
Photo 3 of 4
1970 Neun vierzehn
Photo 4 of 4
6freak
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 25 2009, 06:08 PM) *

Photo 4 of 4

Thats whats in mine
Johny Blackstain
Looks like the stuff in my trunks, not my inside carpeting. However, my inside rugs are tan & from 74 tongue.gif
Lavanaut
Great pics. So is that Perlon? confused24.gif I've heard Perlon described as "felt"...
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jan 26 2009, 11:29 AM) *

So is that Perlon? confused24.gif I've heard Perlon described as "felt"...

I've often wondered about that term. Later model year 914s had what I would term "loop" carpeting, but I'm certain that description isn't precisely correct either.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 26 2009, 07:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jan 26 2009, 11:29 AM) *

So is that Perlon? confused24.gif I've heard Perlon described as "felt"...

I've often wondered about that term. Later model year 914s had what I would term "loop" carpeting, but I'm certain that description isn't precisely correct either.

Paul

This photo of a '75 illustrates what I would term "loop" carpeting, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a different "official" term for it.

And are/were there any other US spec, OEM carpeting styles installed? And during what years? idea.gif

Paul
Tom_T
FYI - Here's an example of the original Tan or "Carmel" Loop Carpet in my `73 2L #1954 produced in 9/72. I will point out that this relatively clean carpet has been sitting in my garage closed up for 24 years since 5/85, and I was surprised how clean it was when I shimmied inside to get some pix last week!

Also of note - it is edged in a matching nylon material and backed with a clear plastic film - all still intact & in good shape as well!

However, the Driver (with pedal cut-outs) & Passenger side floor pieces were severely worn and removed a few years before it was stored & I need to replace them both, or find a substitute.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to get acceptable inserts for those 2 pieces in a matching color & material for the 1973 "Carmel" color mentioned by George above?

...George - do you folks at AA carry anything short of a full re-carpet kit, since everything else is in very good to excellent shape - similar to this example (but not necessarily concours).

Carpet Behind Passenger Seat - Original & Never Replaced:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.