Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody know of a good Honda Club
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I'm looking for information on parts and tech for the Predude I picked up. Any of you folks found a site that has good people in it?
rick 918-S
Flapper?
Dave_Darling
Honda-Tech has a lot of info, but you have to really dig hard to get through all of the stupidity, BS, and locker room talk...

--DD
PeeGreen 914
Hey Billy

The garage I use to work at is a Japanese specialty garage where the owner is a Honda specialty tech. If you need anything just let me know.
Johny Blackstain
The Temple of VTEC:

http://asia.vtec.net/
Wes V
Honda-Tech.com

I've spent years there while working on an 89 Civic I built (putting in 95 Acura GSR drivetrain and getting it through the BAR process)

Wes
Brett W
What year prelude? I just picked up a 89 SI. I also happen to own three other Hondas. One is a turbo hatch, one is a shell for my race car and the other is a 90 Accord (for Sale CHEAP). I really like Hondas, just wish they would make a few more rear wheel drive cars so I don't have to.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 25 2009, 09:58 PM) *

Honda-Tech has a lot of info, but you have to really dig hard to get through all of the stupidity, BS, and locker room talk...

--DD

Yeah one does get spoiled by the quality of content here and the other 914 boards. Trying to find tech info on most of the Honda sites is a practice in patience.
PanelBilly
97 Prelude, but not an SH. It is the base engine with an automatic. Perfect car for a teenager. I'm going to have my neighbor check out the engine and determine the amount of effort I put into the paint work, base on the expected life of the block. If the engine isn't going to last long, I'll just clean it up and flip it. If it has some good life in it, I think I'll do a restoration on the body and try to get $8-9,000 for it.
6freak
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 25 2009, 09:59 PM) *

Hey Billy

The garage I use to work at is a Japanese specialty garage where the owner is a Honda specialty tech. If you need anything just let me know.

O good Jon i need some work done on my gay honda..you are talking mat right
PeeGreen 914
Yes, Matt owns the shop. beerchug.gif

Billy, these engines go forever and if they need a new one you can get the crate engines for $700.
AgPete139
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 26 2009, 11:11 AM) *

97 Prelude, but not an SH. It is the base engine with an automatic. Perfect car for a teenager. I'm going to have my neighbor check out the engine and determine the amount of effort I put into the paint work, base on the expected life of the block. If the engine isn't going to last long, I'll just clean it up and flip it. If it has some good life in it, I think I'll do a restoration on the body and try to get $8-9,000 for it.

They are good reliable cars, still fast, and easy to work on yourself. My 22 year old brother, as of a year ago, ownsa '96 Prelude S (base model) with the SOHC, non Vtec F22 and manual box. We just replaced the CV halfshafts last weekend.

I agree that Honda-Tech is a good source of information, but the search function is key to the site.

Houston-Imports.com is also decent for general tech info, but you have to ignore the chicken-crap teenagers and ricers on there.

My brother is also a member of PreludePower.com, you could try checking that out.

Unless the car is extremely nice and modified, I doubt it will demand $9,000 in most of the markets.

Good luck, and welcome to the convenient and irritating world of Hondas.

Pete
Johny Blackstain
My daily driver-
Wes V
Heck, if we are posting photos, here is my last project car.

IPB Image

It started as a 89 SI and now has a full 95 Acura GSR drivetrain, including brakes. It's been through the California smog referee process and is fully legal.

The engine is a 1.8 liter vtec and has about 190 horsepower. The red-line is 8500.

The hub-caps hide factory mag rims, in order to keep it looking stock.

I swapped the roof for a non-sunroof one so that it looks more like a base model.

The project was a lot of fun.

Here is a complete write-up.

My Webpage

Honda's can be a lot of fun and you don't have to go "ricey". However any one that is nice NEEDS a good alarm!!!!!

Wes
Brett W
Wait, your Wes Vann? Damn, what a small world. I saw your site a couple of years ago when I was building my Civic. Very nice work.

I can say, for daily drivers Honda owns all. My Accord is almost 20 years old, gets 33mpg on the highway at 80mph with the AC blowing. The motor has 260K miles and doesn't burn oil between 7000+ mile oil changes. Yeah the body looks rough as hell, but that is because the previous owner didn't know what wax was.

My new Prelude is 20 years old and has 150K on the clock. It looks almost new. Can't wait to get rid of the Accord and start driving the Prelude.

Now if I can just get my Civic repainted and put back together, i may have to show up at the local PCA track day and beat up on the GT3s.

BTW, I have a H23 head that I am not going to use. It is in good shape. it needs to find a good home.
Wes V
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jan 27 2009, 07:06 AM) *

Wait, your Wes Vann?

Ya, I'm also the Wes Vann that did a lot of work on the Chevelles.com and Camaros.net sites.

I get around a lot as I move from one "project" to another. Now it's the 914.

Wes
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 26 2009, 11:36 AM) *

Billy, these engines go forever and if they need a new one you can get the crate engines for $700.

Hey Jon. Where can you get the crate engines and what kind can you get. Any DOHC or V-Tec's for civic's. idea.gif
James
jcambo7
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jan 26 2009, 12:19 PM) *

My daily driver-

Where did you get that scuff guard for your front bumper? That looks good on it.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Jan 27 2009, 12:26 PM) *

Where did you get that scuff guard for your front bumper? That looks good on it.

Thanks. Got it on ebay after much searching. OEM Type R spoiler made from urethane, not ABS plastic. You can bash the hell out of it & just wash & amor all.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Jan 27 2009, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 26 2009, 11:36 AM) *

Hey Jon. Where can you get the crate engines and what kind can you get. Any DOHC or V-Tec's for civic's. idea.gif
James

That generally cost too much and is pointless unless you are wanting to race your car... and your car is not a race car wink.gif
turboman808
Well since we are posting Hondas

IPB Image

I want to build one again someday. To my knowledge no one has built a 200 mph street legal civic. That's something I would like to do. I even went so far as to make a proposal and sent it to several car video sites to raise the funds and interest in the project. No dice!
Johny Blackstain
HMO- honda motors online:

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/

Nippon Motors:

http://www.nippon-motors.com/index.htm

Nagano JDM:

http://www.naganojapanese.com/

More tech info @ hondaswap.com:

http://hondaswap.com/
Brett W
I really keep waffling back and forth on taking a 3.2 TL Type S motor and tranny and putting it in the middle of my Civic, but the turbo motor has been so reliable and fun, I don't want to mess it up. Maybe I will do it with another one. Oh the projects.
Wes V
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jan 27 2009, 11:18 AM) *

To my knowledge no one has built a 200 mph street legal civic.

A 240 horsepower 1.8 liter honda engine that is (fairly) legal (here in California) is easy.

Just start with a B18C and put a Jacksonracing supercharger kit on it (which is smog legal) and have the intake modified by LHT performance for a water to air intercooler.

There are legal turbo kits for "B" motors, but none of them include an intercooler (while maintaining the legal status) Greddy is the name that comes to mind.

Edelbrock makes legal turbo kits for Honda "D" motors with intercooler. (they did design work on what was to be a carb certified "B" motor kit, but never got it through the legal system)

Wes
turboman808
QUOTE(Wes V @ Jan 28 2009, 08:56 AM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jan 27 2009, 11:18 AM) *

To my knowledge no one has built a 200 mph street legal civic.

A 240 horsepower 1.8 liter honda engine that is (fairly) legal (here in California) is easy.

Just start with a B18C and put a Jacksonracing supercharger kit on it (which is smog legal) and have the intake modified by LHT performance for a water to air intercooler.

There are legal turbo kits for "B" motors, but none of them include an intercooler (while maintaining the legal status) Greddy is the name that comes to mind.

Edelbrock makes legal turbo kits for Honda "D" motors with intercooler. (they did design work on what was to be a carb certified "B" motor kit, but never got it through the legal system)

Wes

The one I posted the picture of had 350 hp. I forget how much torque it had. It was a D series so the torque was pretty good. Gonna need 500hp to hit 200 mph I imagine.
Brett W
My simple street car made an easy 240 at the wheels, did 37mpg on the highway and gave me no problems. In the next iteration, it will make close to 400 at the wheels, with no more tranny problems. Not bad for a simple D series motor.

Wes I think you misunderstood. Not 200HP, 200MPH. I would go with at east 500hp to make that number, but it would take a lot of aero work. Good underbody aero, no mirrors, no big stupid ricer wing, etc. It would be interesting.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jan 28 2009, 03:51 PM) *

My simple street car made an easy 240 at the wheels, did 37mpg on the highway and gave me no problems. In the next iteration, it will make close to 400 at the wheels, with no more tranny problems. Not bad for a simple D series motor.

240bhp from a D? blink.gif
US stock is 125bhp.
Turbo & nitrous?
Sleepin
My old 99 hatch. Dyno'd at 328hp to the fronts with a "slightly" modified B16A. I sure miss it at times (just don't miss the import attitudes.)
IPB Image

On Topic: I reccomend honda-tech.com and hondaswap.com as well.

My best friend and I also built his D series CRX to 460whp....it can be done.
IPB Image
pktzygt
Dealing with all the children on the honda boards was part of the reason my '99 prelude never got it's turbo. I found that just going to a shop that has built some of the nicer hondas at the track was the best place for info.
dw914er
k>b

k>h

ahaha, rsx/integra owner

ill post my dd rsx later

i kinda want to do a k series swap in a small honda platform
dw914er
IPB Image

right now is the lights, emblems, and header, exhuast, and next week an intake

not bad for a budget rsx imo

good luck on the prelude
dlo914
Before when i was put in the situation and had to choose a honda it would only be the S2000 and NSX. But lately, after my friend picked up a really clean and well taken care of genuine 1997 Integra GSR w/ a fully built B18c1 w/ about $10k in engine work and full suspension. And it was a bargain of a price @ $5500 w/ full receipts of all the work done on the car. And to boot it came with a bunch of spare OEM and aftermarket parts. I'd really suggest getting a genuine or bar'd GSR if i had to drive a honda. Would prolly only do suspension work.
Johny Blackstain
Hondas are like crack or heroine- tweak it just a bit & you want more biggrin.gif When I got my civic I could not believe how badly it handled. All I wanted to do was put some sway bars on it. Next thing you know I'm swapping out my engine & tranny for a "mini me" w/ lsd. Everything is so plentiful & relatively cheap compared to anything German. Divided loyalties... I wish Porsche would buy Honda laugh.gif
Brett W
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jan 29 2009, 06:46 AM) *
I wish Porsche would buy Honda laugh.gif

Hell no, they would fuck it up just like they have the 996,997,986,987,etc. At least my Hondas don't crack sleeves, break intermediate shafts, basically puke a motor at 10K miles. Sorry Porsche is great but I would rather have a Honda NSX or S2000 over a stock Porsche (except a Carrera GT).

My Civic is turbo'd. It runs a small junkyard turbo. I have a bigger T4 waiting to go on as soon as I finish the paint work. I love my car. I won a time trial Championship with it and drove it daily. Plus the heat worked, it wasn't rusty as hell, the bolts still have a nice plated finish, and the interior wasn't trashed. These cars hold up very well even for 20+ year old cars.

I have a few new mods going into the motor and drive train when I put it back together. I have a set of Accord wagon calipers and 11in rotors for the front, a CG 5speed tranny from a 86-89 Integra, custom intake manifold, may redo the exhaust manifold, but I am happy with it now. I have fabbed everything on the car.

Apparently I won't be adding pics since they exceed the global limit.

Scott S
I actually traded in my z-71 silverado on this. Cant haul as much, but it sure has been a great driver and it has a real back seat.
My wife drives a 2004 CRV. We have put 80k on the thing, and it is still worth 65+% of it's purchase price. Amazing....

dw914er
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jan 29 2009, 06:46 AM) *

Hondas are like crack or heroine- tweak it just a bit & you want more biggrin.gif When I got my civic I could not believe how badly it handled. All I wanted to do was put some sway bars on it. Next thing you know I'm swapping out my engine & tranny for a "mini me" w/ lsd. Everything is so plentiful & relatively cheap compared to anything German. Divided loyalties... I wish Porsche would buy Honda laugh.gif

thats where the gsr integra (dc2) or the rsx (dc5) fit in. They are actually quite good handling cars for a 'pos' fwd car.

I actually do love my Honda, but in a completely different way than the Porsche.

dw914er
my next project

hopefully, because I am in love with the color, and I want the type-s version of my current car
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image

with basic bolt ons, it will be as fast or faster than 350z, EVO, and the subie sti. Not bad for a honda
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.