Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: triad west update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Triaddave
The flat screen is way cool. the rest of the computer stinks. I lost information and addresses along the way. All the triad pictures are now part of the wife's stuff. I sometimes cannot access the internet, sometimes can.same with my e-mail...UUUGGH. printer doesn't work... lost access to the web site.
I am tring to work this out.
still on this planet
dave @ triadwest
Bleyseng
I hate to say it but....You should have got a Mac!
I just bought a MacBook at Xmas and love it...shit works first time.

Vista problems? I keep XP on the other computers as they work.

Dave, long time no see so hope you are doing well.
PanelBilly
Three engineers were driving a Fiat (could be a Dodge now). The car stopped on the side of the road. The first fellow was and electrical engineer and he immeniately pulled the wires to check for spark. The second engineer being mechanical, started fiddling with the timing. The third being a software engineer insisted they turn the key off, close and lock the doors and try to start it again in 5 minutes.

Have you tried turning it off and on?
Triaddave
I am not the guru on computers. It doesn't have spark plugs or carburtors. YES, I turn the dam thing off with my fist. I'll work through this even if I need to ask a girl for directions...crap
Joe Bob
Never mind.....
YksKrad
Did you update an old computer to Vista from xp? Or buy a new computer?

If it's the first do you have at least 3 gigs of ram (They say 2 but it has issues with that few resources available.). Have you updated your drivers?
Lavanaut
You'd probably be better off with the Win7 beta that's freely available right now for download. I'm a "computer guy" and fought with Vista for about a week before rolling back to XP. Vista is an OS travesty!
PeeGreen 914
bye1.gif Hi Dave. Vista is fine for what you are doing. Just takes a little time to figure it out. I don't mind it on one of my laptops. Actually not sure which I like better between Vsta and XP now that I have them both.

Keep up the good work.

dw914er
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 25 2009, 07:37 PM) *

I hate to say it but....You should have got a Mac!
I just bought a MacBook at Xmas and love it...shit works first time.

Vista problems? I keep XP on the other computers as they work.

Dave, long time no see so hope you are doing well.

agreed

love my mac, no issues to date on both my older macbook pro, and our old g4 imac (that things like 5 years or older)
PeeGreen 914
No offense but I hate Mac. Everyone I went to school with in the photography department loved them but I was one of the only guys that liked his PC. Just don't like the layout and they cost four to five times as much as a comparable PC. The biggest seller for most of the students in the graphic design area was that Mac catered to them. However, a few of the PC guys in school showed how you could do everything on the PC just fine slap.gif
banger
I suggest a Mac as well. After working with PC's for over 15 years, I finally had enough. Macs are just as capable now as any PC, but without all the headaches. No crashes, no strange behaviors, no stupid popups nagging that you arent protected, no viruses etc. I feel like I am going to have an anxiety attack every time I have to deal with windows. Even the windows based cell phone share all the wonderful traits of windows.
rjames
I run both a Mac and a 2 PCs running both XP and Vista. In my eyes they are all equal as each have their problems. Macs do have a much better looking interface, and have less viruses written for them so they score ponts there, but they co$t a lot more.

A lot of the issues that folks complain about with either platform can be solved with a little user education.

Dave, if you still need some help, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to try and help you sort things out from afar if I can.
Bleyseng
Macs cost more? Bullshit...Last Dell Latitude I bought cost $2100 and lasted 5 years and blew up twice....This MacBook cost $1200 started up right out of the box and hasn't missed a beat yet......Trying to load XP on it so I can use some Windows programs on it but XP has loading problems just like when I had to re install it on the Dell when it crashed....
Why does Windows crash so often??? POS is my answer..

Jon, the Mac interface is so easy to use and Windows just keeps copying more and more of the Mac features... chair.gif

Dave, did you figure it out?
r_towle
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 26 2009, 10:32 AM) *

Memory Managment.
It has always been the major flaw of the PC/DOS platform.
Multi threading still does not always work in the PC/Dos platform...even on Vista/NT.

MAC is based on Unix at this point. A system that was invented in the open, like linux has been. (BSD Unix, 30 plus years old) This creates the best software because everyone breaks it while its being developed.
When/if Microsoft finally gets this point, they may save the company and the OS business.

Dave, if you can see this, did you upgrade the OS on an existing computer or did you buy a new computer?

Rich
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 26 2009, 07:32 AM) *

Macs cost more? Bullshit...Last Dell Latitude I bought cost $2100 and lasted 5 years and blew up twice....This MacBook cost $1200 started up right out of the box and hasn't missed a beat yet......Trying to load XP on it so I can use some Windows programs on it but XP has loading problems just like when I had to re install it on the Dell when it crashed....

Jon, the Mac interface is so easy to use and Windows just keeps copying more and more of the Mac features... chair.gif

Apples to apples geoff. The Viao I have cost 2100 new but the comp Mac would have run 3600. Just bought a Toshiba for 500 and the similar Mac would have been 1700.
McMark
Jon, I'd love to see a link for that $500 Toshiba. I have a hard time believing they are comparable.
ericread
YAY! Religious Wars!

PC vs. Mac - That's a new one! screwy.gif

Anybody want to debate VHS vs. Betamax? screwy.gif

Or how about Democrat vs. Republican? screwy.gif

People have their own preferences! WOW, what a concept.

Now, back to the original thread...

Do you need any assistance with your new computer or operating system? idea.gif

Eric

Mark Henry
My new PC cost me $270 Canadian......no monitor, didn't need one.

Working OK with basic vista, if I have issues I have a copy of XP
Mind you I don't game or need much, I just surf and do a bit of selling on the samba.
PeeGreen 914
Hey Dave, any new products you can tell us about? I know you started making exhausts for all size engines and have great hearder for fours and sixes. Any thoughts on how you could make a lighter version of the same exhaust? The Stein exhaust is light but I don't like the look of it or the sound as much as I like you other exhausts. beerchug.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 26 2009, 12:39 PM) *

Apples to apples geoff. The Viao I have cost 2100 new but the comp Mac would have run 3600. Just bought a Toshiba for 500 and the similar Mac would have been 1700.

This is coming from a PC guy...not a MAC guy.
If the MAC was cheaper, I would go for it...also the long lived lack of comprable software kills the mac...
Ever try to email a file from a PC to a MAC...MAC can open it.
Ever try to email a file from a MAC to a PC...PC has no idea what to use to open the file...that is just BS from MS plain and simple...they can fix that easily.

Its not apples to apples on paper if you just look as memory and disk space.
MAC uses memory much more effectively, therefore it does not need as much.
MAC is truely a multi threaded system so its faster.

Look at how many instructions can be processed per second and the bus speed...that is about the only similarity that you could compare...that is all mother board specs.
The MAC OS is faster, Linux is faster also...both when you compare them to a PC.
Hell, MAC runs windows faster than alot of windows boxes just based upon the hardware...

Sad to say this, but MS is starting to look like Digital Equipment in its final days.
They have been bandaiding Windows (based alot on VAX...remember VAX?) for years.
Its reached its limit...it cant go any faster..it cant handle 64 bit...it cant swap fast enough...its just a cost issue.

Look at what IBM and HP support now...Linux...in a big way also...
I would bet that ten years from now the MS domination on the desktop is gone...and so might MS...unless they focus and dominate another market...
All they have left is Office...and openoffice kills that market.
Xbox...nope, Mobile phone, nope, Internet Search...nope..
They have nothing left...

Rich
Sleepin
QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 26 2009, 10:51 AM) *

WTF is Betamax? huh.gif av-943.gif
dinomium
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 26 2009, 10:50 AM) *

OS X.4 and better can do pretty much everything. I am Windows Server Admin and I am writing this on my iMac. As for the cost comparisons, if you really line item cost out the hardware and equip a PC with 'real world standards' you will spend the same $$
As for Vista, it is a hot mess! XP or 7... Vista has really proved the ole adage of:
If you want to know how computers work get a PC if you just want TO WORK get a Mac...
biggrin.gif
My suggestion for the uber computer is Mac OS on a hot rodded notebook and using VM ware running window OS as shells. That way when the OS poops the bed, you can just spin up an new one and still have your data (stored on the Mac OS as a back up folder)
Keep buying the Microsoft el Crappo software. It keeps me employed and aloof!
HA!!
Dave, I will be needing some carb linkage soon. I do trades!
lol
If the MAC was cheaper, I would go for it...also the long lived lack of comprable software kills the mac...
Ever try to email a file from a MAC to a PC...PC has no idea what to use to open the file...that is just BS from MS plain and simple...they can fix that easily.

Look at how many instructions can be processed per second and the bus speed...that is about the only similarity that you could compare...that is all mother board specs.
The MAC OS is faster, Linux is faster also...both when you compare them to a PC.
Hell, MAC runs windows faster than alot of windows boxes just based upon the hardware...

Sad to say this, but MS is starting to look like Digital Equipment in its final days.
They have been bandaiding Windows (based alot on VAX...remember VAX?) for years.
Its reached its limit...it cant go any faster..it cant handle 64 bit...it cant swap fast enough...its just a cost issue.

I would bet that ten years from now the MS domination on the desktop is gone...and so might MS...unless they focus and dominate another market...

Rich

YksKrad
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 26 2009, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 26 2009, 10:51 AM) *

WTF is Betamax? huh.gif av-943.gif

WTF is VHS?

LaserDisc all the way!!! av-943.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jan 26 2009, 03:33 PM) *

OS X.4 and better can do pretty much everything. I am Windows Server Admin and I am writing this on my iMac. As for the cost comparisons, if you really line item cost out the hardware and equip a PC with 'real world standards' you will spend the same $$
As for Vista, it is a hot mess! XP or 7... Vista has really proved the ole adage of:
If you want to know how computers work get a PC if you just want TO WORK get a Mac...
biggrin.gif
My suggestion for the uber computer is Mac OS on a hot rodded notebook and using VM ware running window OS as shells. That way when the OS poops the bed, you can just spin up an new one and still have your data (stored on the Mac OS as a back up folder)
HA!!
lol

Rich

Dude, quoting me is fine.
re-writing my statement is not ok.
Please use quotes correctly.

Rich
dinomium
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 26 2009, 01:23 PM) *

biggrin.gif
HA!!
lol

Rich

Rich

Want to hear a funny:
I did post correctly, but from iMac it showed up garbled!
Too funny

PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jan 26 2009, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(dinomium @ Jan 26 2009, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 26 2009, 01:23 PM) *

Rich

Rich

Want to hear a funny:
I did post correctly, but from iMac it showed up garbled!
Too funny

biggrin.gif
HA!!
lol

Bleyseng
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 26 2009, 09:47 AM) *

Jon, I'd love to see a link for that $500 Toshiba. I have a hard time believing they are comparable.

I wanna see that link too...BS...

A 3600 Mac?? WFT? The only one that cost that much is a 8core Macpro tower!
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family
I found this /mac_pro?mco=MTE2NjQhttp://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?seg=HHO&poid=432634

which is kinda like a Macbook but it doesn't have a aluminum case nor GarageBand, iMovie...plug and play just plug and pray... chair.gif

Oh, I run 10.5.6 hmmm nice.....
PeeGreen 914
rolleyes.gif I don't have a link. I bought it in a store. I got it on sale and yes a comparable Mac would be over 1500+.

You don't need to get all worked up about this. I sometimes wonder how you make it with as worked up over the smallest stuff huh.gif
ericread
Macs hit with BitTorrent-embedded malware attack...

Yep, as the Mac got more popular, it attracted attention from the hackers. Here's the story link;

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/117188

Eric Read
cwpeden
Well, on the brightside at least PC's have thousands and thousands of people working simultaineously to correct their problems and protect them from hackers......

Or is it the other way around unsure.gif
Triaddave
WOW, O,K. to answer in order...
yes
no
yes
I don't know
I should have thougt of that,,,,
I guess I just needed some friends to bitch to about this mayhem I'm going through...
thanks to all for being there.
triaddave
dw914er
i like how the mac spoof pc commerical... im a pc from every group... was made on a mac.

anyways
dinomium
QUOTE(Triaddave @ Jan 26 2009, 08:51 PM) *

yes
no
yes
I don't know
I guess I just needed some friends to bitch to about this mayhem I'm going through...
triaddave

well, BITCHING we can do in spades!
LOL
McMark
QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 26 2009, 08:00 PM) *

Yep, as the Mac got more popular, it attracted attention from the hackers. Here's the story link;

Eric Read

Now that's a little blown out of proportion. That 'malware' attack only affected people who were pirating MS Office. Windows machines can get malware by visiting certain web sites. BIG DIFFERENCE rolleyes.gif
Chris Hamilton
I love the OS, but I wish they'd get someone else to design their computers.

All of the Macbook Pro laptops made since around March 2008 have defective nVidia graphics chips, and they are all going to fail eventually from this problem. I originally had one of these laptops and finally got rid of it because Apple wasn't fessing up to the problem. Now they finally admit it since their new laptops are out, but they didn't learn their lesson! The 9600M gpu ( not the 9400m ) in the new MacBook Pro laptops all have this defective design by nVidia, and they are all already showing problems. If you have one go bad, apple will just replace it with another one that has the same defect!

I'm posting this from a PowerBook G4 while the money for a Macbook Pro is sitting in the bank waiting for the day apple releases a laptop with a decent video chip.
So.Cal.914
Hi Dave- I have been on a laptop with Vista for about a year. I have found that I need to defrag this computer every two days. If I do not it gets all stupid, and won't do much right. If I do it's great. I like Vista, doing graphic's takes a lot of memory, I only have one gig of ram and it runs my OS and CS3. My Nephew is a big gamer and uses XP, he says its quicker, less problems. For me I like all the bells and whistles. Is your printer new? Is the software for vista? If not see if you can get a Patch for it. I have installed patches and it has worked just fine.
ericread
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 26 2009, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 26 2009, 08:00 PM) *

Eric Read

Now that's a little blown out of proportion. That 'malware' attack only affected people who were pirating MS Office. Windows machines can get malware by visiting certain web sites. BIG DIFFERENCE rolleyes.gif

From my work a few years ago in computer security analysis, the primary reason Mac's weren't getting the attention from hackers was that there just wasn't the sheer numbers of Macs in the marketplace. With the hugely successful Apple advertising campaign and the proliferation of Macs in the marketplace recently, it appears that more hacker networks are starting to pay attention to the Apple products, and going after Macs.

I continue to work with an agency that oversees naional security statistics on hacker attacks (sorry but the stats are part of a classified report, so I am unable to share them with you). However, we are seeing Mac computer attacks start to climb to significant numbers.

It's interesting to see Apple is becoming a victim of it's own success. confused24.gif

And if I remember correctly, Apple issued one of it's first emergency security patches late last year.

It's not that the Apple OS is invulnerable, (although it is very good), it's more a matter of market share. idea.gif

Eric Read

azbill
Switched to Mini Macs last summer. They are great NO issues none nadda. They are priced right with all the whisles and bells $1200 each. The Macs were recommended by my IT guy. Best thing I have done.

Bill
Gint
Wow. How did this thread turn into OS religion wars? Sorry Dave!
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 26 2009, 06:29 PM) *

rolleyes.gif I don't have a link. I bought it in a store. I got it on sale and yes a comparable Mac would be over 1500+.

You don't need to get all worked up about this. I sometimes wonder how you make it with as worked up over the smallest stuff huh.gif

Who's worked up...just having fun like always....

I like the fact that I can run BOTH XP and OS 10.5 at the same time on my Mac.
ericread
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 27 2009, 07:15 AM) *

I really haven't touched a Mac in the past couple of years. I know that Apple went to the Intel processor about a year ago. Any thoughts? Better or worse?

Eric Read
BKLA
I thought this was going to be a link about Dave's new stuff...

I would really like to see Triad's stuff - three OT pages is enough! (I'm just glad there is a choice between computer systems and OS's. What kind of world would we have if there was only one choice?)

Dave - what you got planned?
rjames
I have found that I need to defrag this computer every two days.

I hope you have a backup of your hard drive because you're speeding up its death if you're really defragging every 2 days.

Sorry, what was this post originally about again? huh.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 27 2009, 11:01 AM) *

I really haven't touched a Mac in the past couple of years. I know that Apple went to the Intel processor about a year ago. Any thoughts? Better or worse?

Eric Read

IMHO this is what will increase the level of attacks on the OS.
The instruction set at an assembly level is very well know.
The older Apple chipsets were not well known and thus there was less knowledge of how to hack them.

The closer to the mainstream they get, the more focus they will get from hackers.

Rich
r_towle
QUOTE(Triaddave @ Jan 26 2009, 11:51 PM) *

yes
no
yes
I don't know
triaddave

Great news, glad we could all help....and in so many ways.
If only Slits knew what a computer was we may have solved this faster and with much more sarcasm.

RIch
ericread
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 27 2009, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 27 2009, 11:01 AM) *

Eric Read

IMHO this is what will increase the level of attacks on the OS.
The instruction set at an assembly level is very well know.
The older Apple chipsets were not well known and thus there was less knowledge of how to hack them.

The closer to the mainstream they get, the more focus they will get from hackers.

Rich

I see that Rich picked right up on my point... agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.