Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: San Francisco to Los Angeles AIDS Ride
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiid
I have registered for the 2004 AIDS/Lifecycle event, which entails riding a bicycle from San Francisco to Los Angeles - a 585 mile route that is taken over 7 days.

I have multiple reasons for doing this - primarily to support at least a few of the millions of AIDS sufferers globally, and to try and do some good and make a difference in the world - to give something back. I am also doing this in memory of Freddy Mercury who is just one of many people tragically lost in this pandemic. It's is also a big physical challenge and opportunity to get fit whilst helping others.

Donate Now!!!!

I need support to do this - I am hoping to raise $6000 in total for this charity by the time I do the ride in June. The Ride starts June 6th, so I will be leaving the classic to do it!!

Thanks in advance for your support and donations.

Oh yeah - Donations ARE TAX DEDUCTABLE - SO GIVE AN EXTRA 30%!!!!!
fiid
(admins - if deemed worthy, please nail this)

More info is available at http://www.aidslifecycle.org

l8r,

Fiid.
steve@ottosvenice.com
Bring plenty of spare tires as I know that the guys at Malibu Salt PCH with tacks that Sat morning to give the Riders Flats. Steve
fiid
That's nice of them. I have no idea why anyone would do that!

I need to raise a minimum of $2600 to be able to take part in the event, so all sponsorship money is greatly appreciated!! If everyone registered on this board donated $2 I'd be in! Everything makes a difference, (and will also make a difference to your taxes!)

Thanks,

Fiid.
Andyrew
How would he bring the tires??

Anyways. Good luck Fiid. Thats pretty big! Dont know If I could do it..
Qarl
clap56.gif

Done! $50.00 towards your fund raising effort!

Who's next?
jarbuthnot
I'm next - $150.00. I lost a lot of good friends and co-workers to this invidious disease. Hope you raise a lot more and thank you for doing this for a good cause.

P.S. I finally saw one of Alfred's posts. Now I know what I haven't missed.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(kellzey @ Feb 19 2004, 07:50 PM)
clap56.gif

Done! $50.00 towards your fund raising effort!

Who's next?

I'm in. wavey.gif

Good luck on the ride Fiid.
GWN7
If Alfred posts against something, it must be a worth while cause.

I'm in for $20.

Need a snail mail address (PM me with it) to send a donation.
lagunero
Good luck on the ride! Email me an address to send my donation.
busaslidr
Mycousin and her friend are doing the Amgen cancer ride in October that I am building her friends bike for her. that's my donation. Make sure your seat is comfy and your gearing is suited to how you ride.
seanery
gotta triple chainring? I can't imagine a trip like that without one ohmy.gif
seanery
I'm in for 25.
Carl
OK, Fiid. I ponied up for you so you better make it. We're counting on you to uphold the untarnished (rust, notwithstanding) image of the 914world.com.

Good Luck, it is a big trip.

C
Qarl
Sorry, for Alfred's crap. Fiid.

Some morons never learn, do they? smilie_pokal.gif

That's okay. His antics don't bother me. I guess it's refreshing to know that he has to go through some B.S. to post his idiotic responses, only to have them deleted. Show's what a waste his life really is.

If anything, Alfred's posts are just making us want to donate even more. Well,
maybe that's the one useful thing he can contribute to society. Making us even more determined to help Fiid.

Thanks for helping, Alfred! clap56.gif
Gint
He's gone (again).
fiid
You guys kick so much ass, it's just unreal. Thanks!
smilie_pokal.gif

I read Alfred's first post, and then went out to dinner with a couple of friends - I guess he had two or three goes at it before I got back in, but they have all been deleted. I'm glad I don't have to read his crap.

Thanks for all the support!!
beerchug.gif
Mueller
Need a snail mail address (PM me with it) to send a donation.

If you follow his link, it has a snail mail address for donations.....

I kicked down some money for the 'ride.......

It must be "be nice to Fiid" week for me, he got a custom billet crankfire adapter and a donation out of me laugh.gif

I'd invest in one of those "chick" seats for you bike to make the ride more comfortable cool.gif
Gint
fiid,

Bump this tomorrow night and I'll make a donation. I need to pack it in for tonight so I can do another 12 day at work tomorrow.
ppickerell
Fiid,
A while back you PM'd me about business ideas cool.gif . I responded back but did not hear from you sad.gif . Peridot is willing to kick down $100 for the ride smilie_pokal.gif . Want to schedule (shedyewl) happy11.gif a meeting here and you can pick up check?
fiid
Thanks again for the continued support.

The best thing for non-electronic payment is to send checks directly to AIDS/LifeCycle....

AIDS/LifeCycle
File #7421502, PO Box 60000
San Francisco CA 94103

Please make sure you write my Name and Paricipant Number on ALL checks:

Fiid Williams - San Francisco Cyclist # 2113

and make checks payable to AIDS/LifeCycle.

Also - send in a little note with your name, address and email (wouldn't hurt to stick my name and rider number on there too). You will receive a letter of acknowledgment for tax purposes. If you can, request that they send the reciept by email, which lowers costs for the organization and puts your money to more efficient use!

Donations are tax deductible. Tax ID#: 94-2927405

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

Thanks a lot guys - you rock!!!
fiid
Here is a quote from a Journal of a rider in the AIDS Ride - you can read the whole thing here:
http://webcast.aidslifecycle.org/journals/...tien/index.html

Why I Ride
Ten years ago, I met an exceptionally courageous woman.

She came into the women’s self-defense class I was co-teaching, and told us the first day that she was HIV+. Her fiancé had contracted it, known he was HIV positive, and had deliberately infected her. After she found out, he fled.

I don’t know why he couldn’t, or wouldn’t talk to her about his HIV status. There are many possibilities: it might have been an abusive relationship, or he might just not have felt comfortable telling her he had contracted HIV. But it doesn’t matter: he had infected her, and then left, because he couldn’t face her afterwards. She, in turn, couldn’t tell people she was HIV+, because of the stigma associated with AIDS; so she was struggling with it, with only her closest friends and family knowing.

I didn’t know what to say. I had been working with survivors of rape, domestic violence, and incest for awhile, and really thought I had heard everything; but that night I went home and spent one long night thinking about the cruelty of the universe. It was just wrong: that he had contracted it, that he had deliberately infected her—and then on top of that to have to deal with the shame and secrecy surrounding AIDS alone—it was just too much. No one should ever be hurt that badly.

But this is not a victim’s story. Over the next few weeks, as she learned to fight in body, her fighting spirit emerged. She chose to fight for her life—literally—and it was nothing short of a miracle. When she left our program, she told us she was going to beat this disease somehow and that she was moving to another state to start a new chapter of our self-defense program and empower other women. She was not only going to fight and win, she was going to make every day count. She was going to live.

I promised myself that night, that someday I would pay tribute to that inhuman—that so human—courage.

(from http://webcast.aidslifecycle.org/journals/...ien/index.html)

The rest of the journal talks about experiences on the ride as well as more facts and links on the AIDS problem itself. A long but heartwarming read. There are a collection of jounals including this one at:
http://webcast.aidslifecycle.org/journals/

Sponsor me here: https://www.aidslifecycle.org/donate/form.cfm?n=2113
fiid
Training for the ride is going in ernest - I have been working out at the gym most days in the last week - today I went on my first official training ride.

I did 33miles on the bike. I hurt just about all over now - my arms from lifting yeasterday, and everywhere else from today's ride. I am pleased because this is 1/3rd of a day and it only took a couple of hours. It seems like making it to LA is not close, but is attainable.

Keep On Supporting! https://www.aidslifecycle.org/donate/form.cfm?n=2113

Thanks again for all the support so far.

Fiid. boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif smilie_pokal.gif

(We need a cycling smiley!)
VegasRacer
QUOTE(fiid @ Feb 21 2004, 02:59 PM)
We need a cycling smiley!

It's not exactly what I was looking for, but this is the closest I could find.
fiid
Hey,

So starting today I am biking to work again every day - it's only 8 miles a day, but helps get more saddle time and keep the rate up.

The lifecycle team updated my account - I am up to $534 - nearly 10% of the way to my target of $6000, and 70% of the donations are from 914club people!! Rock on people!!

It's not too late to get in on the action: https://www.aidslifecycle.org/donate/form.cfm?n=2113

clap56.gif clap56.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Rock on people! Thanks a lot!!
ppickerell
Fiid,
My office manager mailed the check today, so you should be at $634. smilie_pokal.gif Here's to your ass callouses beer.gif
seanery
I never thought I'd say this, but "Damn, homer, wanna kiss?!"
Jenny
I know. I did a double take myself. I was wondering what Homer was doing on her ass. Them's fat lips!

Jen
lagunero
Keep on Biking! I don't know your physical condition, but with such little time to train I would work on my core (arms won't help if your lower back is killing you), cadence and ALL the hours one can afford in the saddle. If you haven't tried different supplements now is the time to experiment, you don't want to be sick on the ride and your body will need the all the help it can get towards the last couple of days. I admire your courage and wish you luck. I'm close to L.A. so if I can help or assist you please let me know.
Riding centuries is like driving a 914.

It took me a minute on the Homer kiss, funny stuff!
fiid
Hey all,

I did a 67 mile training ride yesterday from SF down to Robert's Market in Woodside. I'm not in nearly as much pain as I thought I would be. The training is really starting to work. I also got a road bike, which has made a huge difference to eh experience over a long ride.

The fundraising effort is going really well - I have $2200 now so I am a few hundred dollars away..... if you do have any extra cash to sponsor me - now is the time! The clock is ticking!

http://www.aidslifecycle.org/2113

boldblue.gif

I am trying to get some idea of what the route map and timing will be if anyone does want to do a drive by or stand by and cheer. We leave San Fran on the Sunday morning of the WCC. If you were driving down 1 that day I think you are pretty much guaranteed to go past us - day 1 finishes in Aptos near Santa Cruz.

Thanks for all the support!

Fiid.
lagunero
Looks like you'll make the ride! Awesome! I haven't been able to get much info on the route either. I guess this way they assure they don't have any Alfred's getting in the way.

I'll update the thread regarding support for your ride as soon as I get more info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.