Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stub axle's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
Continuing on my restoration, Im looking at my axle's and CV's, they need to be refurbed or replaced and the shafts are rusty and peeling paint.
Should I rip into these my self and and renew or is it a better value to send out and exchange for new(rebuilt ) assembly's?
Anyone BTDT, would I need any special tools? unsure.gif
Eric_Shea
I blasted mine and used POR-15 on them. New boots and re-greased the CV's. If the pitting is too deep then you might want to find another pair. Fairly easy with normal set of tools.

E.
DNHunt
Rich

You need the CV bolt tool. Looks like a torx nib but I think its 12 point. I got mine at a Flaps. Aero-Krol the hell out of the bolts. The last thing you need is to strip the head. I used a wire brush on my electric drill to get the paint off, then treated them with Metal Ready and Por15. It hasn't been long but they look good so far.

Repack the CV joints (I needed to relplace the 2 inboard ones). New boots and away you go.

Dave
Gint
QUOTE(DNHunt Posted on Feb 20 2004 @ 07:11 AM )
You need the CV bolt tool. Looks like a torx nib but I think its 12 point.

The V-Dub crowd often refers to these as "triple square" bits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.