Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should/could I run new fuel lines some other place
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave Cawdrey
I was thinkin heater channels/longs. Is this safe? Any other ideas? Clean and update existing??? confused24.gif

Jus planing ahead... blink.gif
Jeroen
Go for metal lines down the center tunnel...

cheers,

Jeroen
URY914
I agree. In the center is the best place. Shortest route, and most protected.
joea9146
Metal down the middle
Dave Cawdrey
So, the group consensus is metal down the middle. Whats the existing lines made of? I thought it was metal...

I plan on blowing them out, and clean w/ fuel stabalizer confused24.gif sound good?
ChrisReale
Stock fuel lines were hard plastic.
anthony
I wouldn't replace them unless they need it. I'd just flush them like you are planning. They are made of some kind of hard plastic.
Jeroen
I'd have to disagree with Anthony...
These plastic lines are how old? 25, 30 years?
They are known to become brittle (which is bad news)
Replace 'em with steel ones (unless you already have steel replacements) now, while everything is outta the car (easier access)

Just my 0.02 euro's

cheers,

Jeroen
URY914
There was a post with this topic a few weeks back that went on and on about fuel line replacement. Do a search and check it out. It has all the options and pros and cons.
Dave Cawdrey
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 29 2003, 05:05 PM)
There was a post with this topic a few weeks back that went on and on about fuel line replacement. Do a search and check it out. It has all the options and pros and cons.

I was following that thread...

Do the stock lines have any steel tubing, like where it exits tunnel under the tank? I have steel connections there. The existing plastic at the rear is brittle, broke already. Does this crap run all the way thru the tunnel and connect to the tubing/nipples I'm talking 'bout?
anthony
I'd have to disagree with Anthony...
These plastic lines are how old? 25, 30 years?
They are known to become brittle (which is bad news)

Jeroen, even Br@d said in the other topic that he looks for good used lines. I assume he's talking about good used 30 year old lines. Sure, lines should be replaced if there is a problem with them but I don't think they need replacing just because they are old.
jimtab
I say replace them, the job isn't that bad (even I was able to do it) I used copper tubing but you could use steel, or even braided stainless if you can find the right size, then get good new neoprene fuel line for the terminal connections ( it likes the new gas) and a few mo3 size clamps and you're in business. Jim
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(korijo @ Mar 29 2003, 06:58 PM)
Do the stock lines have any steel tubing, like where it exits tunnel under the tank? I have steel connections there. The existing plastic at the rear is brittle, broke already. Does this crap run all the way thru the tunnel and connect to the tubing/nipples I'm talking 'bout?

The stock lines are steel up front, where they go through the grommet. The plastic is (more or less) just pushed onto the steel bits, and then runs back through the tunnel and exits into the engine bay. There is practically never a problem with the lines in the tunnel, unless they get physically damaged by some intrusion. (Screw, drill bit, etc.) In the engine bay is another story. They get exposed to heat and chemicals and such, and can eventually get brittle and break. As long as you can safely get rubber lines onto them, I don't think there's a lot of problem just keeping them.

I'd use SS truck hard brake line. Aluminum and copper have too many potential issues. Copper in particular...

--DD
Dave Cawdrey
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 29 2003, 11:53 PM)

The stock lines are steel up front, where they go through the grommet. The plastic is (more or less) just pushed onto the steel bits, and then runs back through the tunnel and exits into the engine bay. There is practically never a problem with the lines in the tunnel, unless they get physically damaged by some intrusion. (Screw, drill bit, etc.) In the engine bay is another story. They get exposed to heat and chemicals and such, and can eventually get brittle and break. As long as you can safely get rubber lines onto them, I don't think there's a lot of problem just keeping them.

I'd use SS truck hard brake line. Aluminum and copper have too many potential issues. Copper in particular...

--DD

Here is a pic, sorry for the quality...

DD, the circle shows where they broke. Is there a "best" place to start rubber? The fire wall?
Dave_Darling
"Best"? I suppose that would be "where the tubing is still pliable". It would be nice if you kept the stock runs of tubing vs. hose, but I don't see that it's very necessary. Just make sure you have things routed so you don't start wearing through your hoses (BTDT, got the underwear!) which is no fun.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.