Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Colors (Acutal Cars)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914four
I have a 1974 914-4 1.8 Saturn Yellow L13M and a 1974 914-4 2.0 Marathon Blue Metallic L96M that have been painted over many years ago by previous owners. The paint seems to be poor quality for both cars and may not be a true indication of the original color. It is hard to tell what the original color might actually look like and I am interested to know if anyone has pictures of cars with these colors. I have looked at the color code chart in the information section of this web site and other web sites but it is hard to tell how the colors might look on a 914.

It would be nice to see pictures of all of the 914 colors as they may have looked new. Please post pictures of any original color cars along with the color names and codes if they have original paint in good condition.
SirAndy
You can search our VIN database by color and look for entries that have a picture attached.

For example, this gives you all the Marathon Blue Metallic cars in our database:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;byColor=L96M

Now simply find an entry with a camera symbol IPB Image next to it, indicating that there is a picture of the car attached.
Click on the camera symbol to view the picture ...

Voila!
bye1.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 27 2009, 01:30 AM) *

You can search our VIN database by color and look for entries that have a picture attached.

For example, this gives you all the Marathon Blue Metallic cars in our database:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;byColor=L96M

Now simply find an entry with a camera symbol IPB Image next to it, indicating that there is a picture of the car attached.
Click on the camera symbol to view the picture ...

Voila!
bye1.gif Andy

I might add here that the 914 paint finish was not Porsches best. It had a small degree of "orange-peel" to it - small degree. It was a decent finish, but not up to the 911 finish of the period.

When I had my 914 resprayed in 1979 (can't believe it's been 30 years ago!), I told the painter (a Mercedes Master) to not paint the engine lid, but match the factory finish from it. A Master's job was done. After 30 years, it still amazws me!

It's more than just spraying color, though no one would probably notice today. However, I am warm & fuzzy in that my 914 looks exactly as delivered.
914four
[quote name='SirAndy' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:30 AM' post='1126449']

Although that is a nice way to see some cars with what might be original color and I appreciate the instruction for searches, I am still unsure which cars have the original color (or intended color). An example of a Saturn Yellow car with the recommended search is attached. Below the passenger side head light it looks like it may have been yellow at one time but painted over dark blue. I found others like this as well and it is hard to know what might be original paint.

It might be nice to have one place to see original, or as close to original as possible, 914 colors on the cars.

McMark
Unfortunately, due to camera differences, operating system differences, and monitor differences, no 'true' pictures are possible. Digital color matching is an expensive proposition and is layered with pitfalls.

Let this be clear, I am all for collecting pictures of original colors. Keep going! Just don't expect any definitive info. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(PH1 @ Jan 27 2009, 07:30 PM) *

I found others like this as well and it is hard to know what might be original paint.

Well yes, of course some cars will have been repainted.

But with a few clicks, you should be able to find one in the original color.
bye1.gif Andy
mel reckling
Here's the Saturn yellow.

914four

But with a few clicks, you should be able to find one in the original color.
bye1.gif Andy
[/quote]

Thanks but knowing which one of the different pictures is the original color is the problem for me. Some look much darker, some lighter and it is hard to tell if the cars have been repainted a different color from the original color.
914four
QUOTE(mel reckling @ Jan 29 2009, 02:21 AM) *

Here's the Saturn yellow.

Thanks, I think this is the color I see where the paint has chipped on my car under a darker yellow re-paint.
1970 Neun vierzehn
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=saturn+yellow
1970 Neun vierzehn
and...
914four
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 29 2009, 10:22 PM) *

and...

Thanks. These pictures are great! This is exactly what I was looking for. I hope to get my car looking this good one day.

Thanks to all who posted pictures.
sixnotfour
76 viper green metallic L96N
dave1075
hi,

i recently bought a 1972 US model here in Germany which makes me smile every day as it is in a very good shape. however i was not able to find out the correct color code (even do not know if it is a vw or porsche custom color). the karmann plate says 98, original invoice says "beige grey". i would love to get the original paint code for my files....

URY914
Looks like Steve's Sahara Beige color.
davep
Beige grey is colour 622
Sahara beige is colour 516
The two are different!
What is the Karmann body # on the badge please.
9146racing
try the glasurit "weiss-grau" ! my 6 has that color. shades.gif
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 15 2009, 11:45 AM) *

Dave1075's looks lighter than Steve's Sahara Beige

T.C.
dave1075
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 16 2009, 01:56 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 15 2009, 11:45 AM) *

Dave1075's looks lighter than Steve's Sahara Beige

T.C.

It's definitely no sahara beige - checked that already.

dave1075
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 15 2009, 10:11 PM) *

Beige grey is colour 622
The two are different!

VIN: "4722918830"
Karmann body no.: "2059565"
Karmann paint code: "98"
production plate date: "06/72"

smg914
Beige is cool beerchug.gif
tod914
L96D Silver Metalic 1974

Click to view attachment
tod914
Light Ivory L80E 1975

Click to view attachment

dave1075
ok. took the baby out today - oh what a great car!

... still do not know the correct color code.

dave1075
ok. took the baby out today - oh what a great car!

... still do not know the correct color code.

smg914
QUOTE(dave1075 @ Apr 17 2009, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Apr 15 2009, 10:11 PM) *

Beige grey is colour 622
The two are different!

VIN: "4722918830"
Karmann body no.: "2059565"
Karmann paint code: "98"
production plate date: "06/72"

Does the original invoice that you said you have show what Dealership the car was sold at and what State it was in?
dave1075

[/quote]

Does the original invoice that you said you have show what Dealership the car was sold at and what State it was in?
[/quote]

Dealer was Johnson-Bozzani (Porsche / Audi), Phoenix, Arizona

smg914
Thanks Dave.
Mine was from Rusnak P/A in Pasadena, CA.
bembry
QUOTE(smg914 @ Apr 19 2009, 12:11 PM) *

Thanks Dave.

I probably missed it in another thread, but was your Beige 914 a special order? BTW--it looks fantastic.
tod914
Match to sample paint for 98. Here's a bunch of vw colors; http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php

You can try searching Glassurit paint too. On their website they should have color samples.

smg914
QUOTE(bembry @ Apr 19 2009, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Apr 19 2009, 12:11 PM) *

Thanks Dave.

I probably missed it in another thread, but was your Beige 914 a special order? BTW--it looks fantastic.

Tod is correct. According to the window sticker, it has the "Color to Sample" option which was a $330.00 option in 1973.
tod914
If you look on the top of the Samba link I gave you, you can click through the various pages; type 1, type 2, type 3, Ghia.
Beige Grey comes up roof colors for early year micro buses. L 472 paint code in the type 2 catagory, and a 1965 color in the type 3 catagory.
Seems the owner had it matched to sample from a vw paint code. Car looks very nice btw.
6freak
What ever colour it is it sure is a nice car . No euro lenses ?? smilie_pokal.gif
Rav914
Could be Medium Ivory. A special order color.
ScooterD
This car has the original paint, it's called Phoenx Red (L32K) which confuses a lot of people. It does have red in it which is evident when parked next to Signal Orange 914. The paint has held up well over the years.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.