Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ah Mother #*$&%^
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
Okay. I am not totally screwed yet but just a few minutes ago I was going to take the rubber tops off my bumper and the first nut I tried to get off broke the bolt. Is there a way to remove the stud and redo these? confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
Cut the bolt flush, drill it out, and glue in a new one with rubber epoxy.

Use antiseize on everything at reassembly.

Zach
So.Cal.914
Good Answer.
jd74914
I welded mine back on. You do have to go very slowly to prevent thermal build-up.
Root_Werks
Weld it, I've done it before. Jon, just bring it over and we'll get it done. Got plenty of 6x1.0 studs floating around anyway. wink.gif
IronHillRestorations
Probably not the concours correct solution, but many years ago I just added holes in the top of the bumper, drilled pilot holes into the metal core, and used some sheet metal screws. The bumper top was pretty wavy though, so the core was known to be a little corroded. Held up for a long time though.

This is where a spot welder, or carbon arc torch briefly touched to the attachment nuts can do wonders. Heats up the fastener without transfering too much heat to the rubber.

PB Blaster, time, and gentle knudging??
underthetire
Just did mine this weekend. Drilled out old studs and used self tapping sheet metal screws witht the same size hex head as the nuts. Worked fine.
PeeGreen 914
Thanks Dan. I will be bringing this to you biggrin.gif

Drilling through this top isn't a good idea as it looks perfect.
Solo914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 27 2009, 11:57 AM) *

Man everyone is going easy on you.

I would have told you that you are screwed and that you should give up, buy a new one and give me your "garbage" one. biggrin.gif

Looks like Dan will get you taken care of. Your bumper tops are some of the nicest I have seen.

kyle
pete-stevers
save yourself the hassel and get a glass one....
then you have the hassel of fitting the glass...
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Jan 27 2009, 02:38 PM) *

I would have told you that you are screwed and that you should give up, buy a new one and give me your "garbage" one. biggrin.gif

Looks like Dan will get you taken care of. Your bumper tops are some of the nicest I have seen.

kyle

Thanks Kyle

The front has a little pit in on one spot but other than that it looks good.
degreeoff
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Jan 27 2009, 02:38 PM) *

kyle

agree.gif

I was goina say just get a FG bumper and be done with it....hell save a few lbs too happy11.gif
PeeGreen 914
I preffer having the metal bumpers. beerchug.gif unless I went Sheridan piratenanner.gif
t collins
Just like Zach, I cut it off flush and drilled it out but then I taped it and screwed in a stud locking it in place with Permatex permanent thread lock. Good as new.
Joe Bob
Use a GOOD lubricant....I'm not going to get into the MY ShIt versus Yer CrAp wars....but the technique is important.

TIGHTEN it first, AFTER soaking overnight.....then slowly back it off. If ANY resistance give it another soak....wait another day.

Then do the same...if it breaks....have a drink or a smoke....you were screwed from the beginning.

As to broken studs, they can be drilled up and a self tapping hex head can be used.....but it's better to try to save them.....
Root_Werks
I have class Saturday but if you're up for it, bring the pad and bumper over Sunday. I'll call ya. wink.gif
PeeGreen 914
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.