Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One more thing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
por73914
The 914 I just bought has the reflector on the back with a solenoid release. The solenoid does not work. Any idea on how to get the trunk open?

Thanks
Paul
Millerwelds
Mine sometimes won't open unless I have someone push down on the lid to relieve the pressure off the solonoid. Then it works fine.

If that does not work there are other options I am sure someone will chime in with. Good luck.
Mark Henry
First check under the car, above the muffler, hopefully a PO installed an emergency pull wire of some type. If not lots of extensions, pop the plug and get to the latch bolts through the engine bay.
por73914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 27 2009, 01:33 PM) *

First check under the car, above the muffler, hopefully a PO installed an emergency pull wire of some type. If not lots of extensions, pop the plug and get to the latch bolts through the engine bay.

Man that would be LOTS of extensions... headbang.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(por73914 @ Jan 27 2009, 02:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 27 2009, 01:33 PM) *

Yep...but it can be done.
Mark Henry
I'd also make sure the switch is getting power.
underthetire
Good luck. I had a 70 that someone made a slant nose and moulded in the front bumper. The cable broke so I had to sawzall a hole to get to the latch. mad.gif
r_towle
Push on lid...hope it pops
Look for cable.
Look for itty bitty hole about where the lock would be....insert long allen wrench and push to pop lid.

Then....lots of extensions...
I had to do it...it can be done.
If I can do it....you can too...I am a moron and it really pissed me off.
I had my trunk full of stuff...that took a while to get the stuff out of the way so I could see.
Open up both little cups, shine the light in one and look/fish through the other one...
Yes it sucks...its about 30 minutes of swearing to get two bolts off the latch...they are 10mm and you will need every extension you have, and then some...its almost 4 feet.

Rich
PanelBilly
Pushing the truck down would be my first fix. Taking the load off the release will make it easier to open.
PeeGreen 914
A 914 I had the PO had a hole just big enough to put a coat hanger in and pop the latch.
Shade Tree
I've been waiting for this subject to come up!!! Both of my 914's have the reflector on back but no trunk latch at all. What do you guys use? I was planning on finding a suitable replacement and the pick a part and installing a cable latch. popcorn[1].gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Jan 27 2009, 07:03 PM) *

I've been waiting for this subject to come up!!! Both of my 914's have the reflector on back but no trunk latch at all. What do you guys use? I was planning on finding a suitable replacement and the pick a part and installing a cable latch. popcorn[1].gif

http://engmanparts.com/specialtyparts.php
Shade Tree
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 27 2009, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Jan 27 2009, 07:03 PM) *

http://engmanparts.com/specialtyparts.php

Perfect. Thanks!
maf914
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep...but it can be done.
[/quote]

You might want to tape those extensions together! idea.gif laugh.gif
por73914
Thanks for all the replies!...I am going to give it a shop tomorrow. We are thawing out from major ice storm
Jeffs9146
You can also drill a very small hole in the trunk floor from the bottom and use a coat hanger to pull down on the release arm!

Trunk Release Thread

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.