Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheels restored UPDATE wheel 3 done
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
The GT Clone and the Great Pumpkin will get restored steering wheels...

I think they came out pretty good...

first attempt:

Click to view attachment

second one:

Click to view attachment

first two:

Click to view attachment

WHEEL # 3

Click to view attachment
r_towle
That looks great...

Two suggestions...take them or leave them.
If its leather...spray mist it with water and then use a hair dryer or a very controlled heat gun to twist and shrink the wrinkles out.

If its Vinyl, use just the heat gun, no water.

Rich
Joe Bob
I agree....looks a little wrinkled in the tight corners......needs a Botox treatment....
dflesburg
They are leather.

Lets see the ones you did...
r_towle
I think they look great, really.
Its not an easy thing to do...get all the stitching right and get the thing to sit the right way....awesome work.

Leather is great...when it gets wet and you heat it up it shrinks nice and tight....
Depending upon how tight the item is that is being wrapped, using pre-soaked and really wet leather is another trick..(bit late for that one in this case) but its cool. You would put together the item with wet leather....after a few days of drying, or a few hours in a low heat oven, its super tight...

Rich
agentblr
Great work,looks good. Did you cut your own leather or did you buy a kit??
So.Cal.914
Looks Great. Was it a kit?

He's right about wetting the leather. Its not easy to get leather tight.

dflesburg
made them from scratch.

made my own pattern, cut, scraved, punched, etc.

got the idea from a friend that is in the RGruppe here in Dayton.

Looked at his. Then started on the first one. ( bat wing )
The second one got better ( the GT )

now working on the third one.

They keep getting better, the more I do the more I learn.
dflesburg
bump.
ConeDodger
Amazing craftsmanship! I am very impressed that you did this yourself. Mine was redone by AGLA a couple years back. The leather was a little loose feeling but tightened up nicely over the next year or so...

Very cool!
messix
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 28 2009, 09:57 AM) *

made them from scratch.

made my own pattern, cut, scraved, punched, etc.

got the idea from a friend that is in the RGruppe here in Dayton.

Looked at his. Then started on the first one. ( bat wing )
The second one got better ( the GT )

now working on the third one.

They keep getting better, the more I do the more I learn.

good job
flippa
Wheel # 3 looks awesome. Are you interested in some buisness? I need work on a few steering wheels.
dflesburg
There is a guy in Tx that does them for $300

I couldnt afford that so I did my own.

The third one took about 20 hours of my time. I couldnt charge enough to make it worth while.

Sorry.
mein_tag
any tips for other DIY'ers?
dflesburg
Perhaps I could train Erik and he could do wheels for you guys.

What would you guys be willing to pay? (you must supply the wheel and pay shipping.)
Grelber
Who is the guy in Texas that will do them for $300.00?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 1 2009, 08:18 PM) *

The third one took about 20 hours of my time. I couldnt charge enough to make it worth while.

Sorry.

I think mine cost $350 from AGLA. Maybe what you could do is show how you did it in photographs and instructions so others can follow your path?

Be warned though guys, he cannot be kidding about the 20 hours. All that stitching is tiny and tedious!
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 2 2009, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 1 2009, 08:18 PM) *

Sorry.

I think mine cost $350 from AGLA. Maybe what you could do is show how you did it in photographs and instructions so others can follow your path?

Be warned though guys, he cannot be kidding about the 20 hours. All that stitching is tiny and tedious!

I bought an AGLA kit and it fit real nice, Yes stiching is a bit tedious but go slow and it doesn't take tool long. Cost about $80.00

Click to view attachment
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Grelber @ Mar 2 2009, 08:00 AM) *

Who is the guy in Texas that will do them for $300.00?

Here,

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/

Just sent mine in yesterday.

Warrenoliver
dflesburg
That looks pretty nice and you probably cant beat that price unless you do it the way I did and make your own pattern.

It appears that you put the cover directly over a stock plastic wheel. I would have padded the wheel first, then again the kit wouldnt have fit after that.

I prefer the beefier padded feel.

Dallas offers this too.

Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 2 2009, 12:43 PM) *

That looks pretty nice and you probably cant beat that price unless you do it the way I did and make your own pattern.

It appears that you put the cover directly over a stock plastic wheel. I would have padded the wheel first, then again the kit wouldnt have fit after that.

I prefer the beefier padded feel.

Nope shades.gif this was an original foam grip leather wheel. Yes, a little thicker grip is nice. I don't think the AGLA kit would streach enough to add extra padding.

Paul
Grelber
Warren: Thanks for the Dallas Steering Wheel linky. Is yours going to be padded under the leather? Cost? (if I may ask).

r_towle
That third wheel looks great.

RIch
tom2k
Wow...you spent 20 hours for sewing the leather? I don't really have that patience. Hope you have couple pics of the process steps like making patern, how to sew...etc. that would be helpful.
ChicagoPete
The wheels are turning out fantastic...

There are two guys on the early911s bulletin board who have gone and done the same thing you are embarking on...although they probably won't give away all their trade secrets perhaps if you had any further questions they might be able to help with getting the details just right.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/sho...=steering+wheel

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/sho...=steering+wheel

Keep up the good work.

Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.