Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket ABS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
ABS (at least on my Volvo) is an independant ECU.
It relies upon four hall sensors, one on each wheel.
Assuming the Hall sensors can be mounted properly and can be made to affectively send a signal, is there an aftermarket ECU system specifically for ABS brakes?

Rich
McMark
You need the ABS 'pump' and electric valves at each wheel. It wouldn't be too difficult, if you could get a stand-alone ECU working.
sww914
I'd be concerned about finding room for the trigger wheels out at the hubs. I think it's possible. PITA to find some trigger wheels that will fit that are also cheap.
turnaround89
You must do a lot of driving in the snow to want ABS biggrin.gif . Sounds difficult, but WTH, go for it if you really want ABS.
jhadler
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jan 28 2009, 11:23 AM) *

You must do a lot of driving in the snow to want ABS biggrin.gif . Sounds difficult, but WTH, go for it if you really want ABS.

Have you autoxed a car with really good modern ABS? It's too cool! Just keep your foot in the go pedal way longer than you think you should, and then bury the woah pedal. And a really good system will even let you trail into a turn with the car staying perfectly poised and balanced. No lock up, no over rotation, just tuck right into the turn right up to the apex. Then it's right back onto the go pedal again...

I've thought about it a number of times. It is a competitive advantage.

Not that a non-ABS car can't do the same, but it's soooo much easier... biggrin.gif

If it wasn't a competitive advantage, why would F1 teams (among others) have tried to incorporate it into the cars before it was banned?

-Josh2
J P Stein
Bosch sells a set up for about 6-7K

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/content/do...Brochure_en.pdf
turnaround89
ABS would give an advantage in autox, but aren't people driving 914's in autox and winning without ABS, maybe they aren't, i don't really know. thats a complete guess.

How many types of racing banned ABS?

6-7k is a good chunk of change though.

r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 27 2009, 11:04 PM) *

You need the ABS 'pump' and electric valves at each wheel. It wouldn't be too difficult, if you could get a stand-alone ECU working.

Aside from finding a specific ECU for this...which must be out there somewhere.
I figured to pillage all the rest of the parts from a junkyard.
Our rotors are pretty standard size if you look at alot of the smaller cars, volvo included.

Yes, I do drive in the snow.
I also Ice Race...ABS is awesome there.
More interested in using it at an autox...it really allows you to brake later.

Rich
Joe Ricard
If it wasn't an advantage then most rule books would not have applied a weight penalty for it.

Like Josh said get a good one and it will help.

Get a cheap one and you are just toting more tonnage.
type11969
Is there a megasquirt type diy ecu for ABS? It would be worth asking over on the megasquirt board.
banger
Most of the VW and Audi abs systems have the ecu built into the back of the pump. Basically you would need the abs pump unit, sensors and wiring harness. It shouldnt be too expensive to pick up a used unit.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jan 28 2009, 01:40 PM) *

If it wasn't a competitive advantage, why would F1 teams (among others) have tried to incorporate it into the cars before it was banned?

Because it's not about ABS, really, it's about traction control, and if you have an ECU that can independently control braking at each wheel, it's but a very simple and subtle hack to make that work like traction control (which is how it works in my Titan...)

But the hard part is not the sensors and ECU - it's finding an ABS setup that was not designed to work with power brakes. Or finding a way to retrofit power brakes into a nonpower car. When Porsche finally went to power-assist brakes in the 911 they needed to make the move to suspended pedals - no more floor-mount pedal cluster.

The vacuum booster gizmo is big. And you need to get vacuum to the front...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.