Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need some advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
i love porsche
so, i have this roller sitting in my garage, ive got lots of parts for it, ive got sweet wheels. the roller is completely stripped and primed so it wont rust..but it needs tons o body work.

ive had this car since high school..it was my dream to restore it and race it....i graduated college in may and have put some money into it...but the total amount that i will need to even get it back on the road is quite intimidating to say the least. I definetly have an emotional attachment to the car..but i also somewhat have regret for not buying a running project in the first place....yeah, ive never ever driven it, or another 914 for that matter.

so im going through this in my head....im looking to move out of my parents place in about a year (saving as much as i can now) ill have my truck paid off in about a month, and i want a second car that is fun. since i sold my 924S, i really miss being in a porsche and REALLY miss the left pedal.

im very tempted to dump this project and save up for a bit then get another 914...that would be the sensible thing to do right? but the rising prices of the 914s have been a bit intimidating to me...i dont want to spend a fortune.....but i know i want to be in a 914.

i feel like im rambling now...i have this urging to get rid of my project car and go buy a running car....but im just reluctant to...i think i need some convincing.

oh yeah, did i mention that ive never driven a freaking 914! whats up with that!
Mark Henry
I've restored many cars, as I was in the biz and never did I see a project come out cheaper than if the person just went out and bought a good running car. In the past I even told peeps to go get a bank loan so that they could get a finished runner. At least they would be driving and even with the interest most would still be ahead.

I think 914 prices have stalled for now...I'd sell it (keep your wheels) and save, beg or borrow and get a car that is for the most part sorted, on someone else's dime.

My .02 cents...but that is in Canadian dollars.
ericread
Please post some pics.

Q. Do you have all the parts necessary to get the car running safely, or are you in a situation where substantially more money is required to get her on the road?

If you have the parts, I would say to go to a local scuff and paint shop and spend $200-$300 for a cheap coat of paint. Assemble the beast and start driving her. At that point you can always work on the body as you get time. At the same time, I believe that a running 914 will almost always be worth more than a tub with parts should you decide to sell her and start over.

And putting her together for the road doesn't mean you need all the latest gadgets and parts. The new parts and gadgets are fun, but driving your 914 is even more fun. driving.gif

Anyway, that's my $.02 (in $US)

Eric
So.Cal.914
IMHO from what I have heard it is hard to find a 914 in the north east that has not been eaten by rust. And if you do find one the cost could choke a horse. To get one here and ship it out is also going to cost. How bad is yours?
You should make one of the runs there in your neck of the woods and ask to drive one of their's. If it means that much to you I would keep it.
i love porsche
hrmm...

the body needs A TON of work, i guess shell would be a better way to describe it than roller.

and i dont see this car getting on the road for less than 6 grand...and even then....maybe

i guess its time to start gathering what i have, take some pictures and hit up the classifieds.....i shoudl be able to get a halfway decent down payment for the next car....i honestly would rather have a running project than a restoration project....there, i answered my own question...look at that
turboman808
Main thing is to finish school then you can buy whatever you want.
PanelBilly
How much $do you have into it now and can you walk away from that investment? You could go into the parts business, but I'm not sure that is worth your time.

Sometimes I just give up on projects and write it off. Maybe sell it really cheep to someone local who wants to take over the task and then you can still get some enjoyment of of seeing it finished. They might even let you drive it when its finished.

mein_tag
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Dr. Roger
in hindsight, it would have been smarter for me to buy a converted runner than a shell.
as stated above, the cost of building from scratch will be substantially higher.
someones labor inevitably is not seen in selling price and it can and will get pricey in labor.
if the car comes first, education second, the car will sit and collect dust.
education first, car second, the car will get done. eventually. LOL ;-)
i love porsche
well i am out of school and have been working full time.

what do i have into it? well..labor wise, only about 1500...but ive probably spent a few grand on parts...that can all be resold though

pictures..yes, i have to get pictuers...maybe if it wasnt hailing outside
jonferns
A running driving 914 is always better than an empty shell. I just sent you a PM, but I forgot to include a link to a local 914 for sale that runs and drives, I'll send that now. bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.