Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odometer Mileage on new engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jarbuthnot
Reading another topic about cars with high mileage, made me wonder: when I get my 914 back with it's new engine, will the odometer be changed back to 0? Does the mileage go with the engine or the car?
DuckRyder
It will not be reset to "0" (unless some one is looking to do some federal time)

You would not want it to be reset any way, just keep your recipt showing the mileage it was installed at.
sj914
I don't mean to kijack the post, but does getting a new speedo/w odometer at 0 violate any laws.
jd74914
agree.gif DuckRyder's right!! The OD goes with the car. Then, just document the mileage. (Unless you're loking for quality time in the big house). beerchug.gif
DuckRyder
QUOTE(sj914 @ Feb 19 2004, 09:31 PM)
I don't mean to kijack the post, but does getting a new speedo/w odometer at 0 violate any laws.

No as long as it is represented as such and the car isn't sold as mileage correct.

They usually have a tag that is to be placed in the door jamb with the pertenant information.
sixerdon
Guys,
Every state is different.
Joan, check with your state MV for clarification first. I have a car without original mileage. No problem. There are plenty out there and legal. Also, in every car I own or have owned I've kept a running dated log of everything that has been done to the car. Minimum, starting with oil changes and keep an organized folder with all your receipts. The next owner will be happy you did.
Hope this helps.
Don
jarbuthnot
Thanks everyone. Guess I'll check with my MV as Don suggests. Was just curious.
JWest
As long as you never swear that the mileage is original once it is changed, you have not broken any laws. If you were to sell the car then you just state that the mileage is not actual.

That said, people expect the mileage to be of the chassis, and if the engine is rebuilt just document the mileage at the rebuild.
DuckRyder
Irrespective of State tampering with an odometer (altering the displayed mileage) is illegal.

That does not mean that you cannot replace a defective one, or replace the speedometer, but tampering with the unit itself to cause it to read anything other than what it already reads, is a NO NO.
Porsche Rescue
I suggest leaving the odometer as is. You saw it turn to 00000 and have documentation on actual mileage of the car. Do ask your mechanic to record the mileage at time of overhaul.
In Oregon the DMV only records mileage of cars less than 10 years old. I suspect Maine won't care one way or the other.
I hope the car gives you lots of smiles when spring comes (but I do feel badly that together we used the last 6000 miles the engine had to give).
jarbuthnot
QUOTE(jim9146 @ Feb 20 2004, 12:11 PM)
(but I do feel badly that together we used the last 6000 miles the engine had to give).

Yes, but think of the fun I'll have in putting another 100K on the new engine! And I won't have to worry about it. Another plus is that it happened at the beginning of winter, so no driving time was lost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.