Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upon installing a newly acquired door handle...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnnie5
I received a 'new' handle from a fellow 9World teener in the mail yesterday, but it has a broken 'actuator' in the exact spot where my old one is broken.

I removed the old handle and compared one to the other, they looked the same... both broken. My actual metal handle (hinge) is broken as well, which is why I am replacing it in the first place. I was not previously familiar with how the actuator functions inside the door or even how it is supposed to look unbroken. It was only when I re-installed the 'new' handle that I realized I had a problem... it didn't open the door! I had initially dropped the allen bolt inside the door, and found the broken piece of the original actuator when searching out the hardware. It was only after further inspection (after un-installing the new handle) that I realized the the new handle has a broken actuator as well... Ironically in just about the same spot.

I would have to think the seller is also unaware that this piece is broken. I am very happy with the condition of the handle, especially for the price he gave me. Unfortunately, the handle is useless with a broken actuator.

The dealer does not sell this part seperately... does anyone have a 'spare' one of these they can rescue me with? Perhaps the gentleman I bought the 'new' handle from?

Shade Tree
I visited this guy's shop yesterday... http://www.wwautowerks.com
He has all kinds of used 914 parts. His name is Bruce and seems like a really nice guy. I haven't made a purchase from him yet. But I'm hoping to meet up with him this afternoon and pull a rear trunk latch.
pete-stevers
ury (paul )is the door handle guy, he might be able to fix that
shoot him a pm...
one of his famous threads is always near the top in the sandbox...but don't get to sidetracked biggrin.gif
ericread
EDIT: Oops - I was referencing hte wrong part...

Never mind.
johnnie5
Eric,
Thanks for the heads up . I will check Pelican and Auto Hot-lanta.

Pete,
Thank you as well, I will check with Ury if I cannot procure one from either of the previously mentioned vendors.
pete-stevers
i think ury is way cheeper....than trying to source a new one
i can't rember but something in the back of my head says less than 30 bucks
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Jan 29 2009, 01:50 PM) *

Eric,
Thanks for the heads up . I will check Pelican and Auto Hot-lanta.

Pete,
Thank you as well, I will check with Ury if I cannot procure one from either of the previously mentioned vendors.

FYI--I just went through a similiar repair. Pull the entire door mechanism out and check to see whether it's gummed up. My door handle broke because the mechanism didn't work smoothly.

johnnie5
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jan 29 2009, 01:56 PM) *

i think ury is way cheeper....than trying to source a new one
i can't rember but something in the back of my head says less than 30 bucks

I hope its less than $30, thats more than I paid for the whole handle!!
johnnie5
~ Called a 'door latch cam' ~

Pelican parts - $14.55

Auto Hotlanta - $13.20

Couldn't believe Auto Hotlanta was cheaper than Pelican...

Glad they are not unobtanium!

Just ordered 2 from Pelican (located in So Cal vs Hotlanta, faster shipping).
sww914
I think GPR might be less that either AA or PP, give them a try. They have a banner ad on this website.
Cap'n Krusty
GPR carries them, and Mark and Jonathan are both members here. As a startup, they could REALLY use your business. The Cap'n
johnnie5
Now you tell me!
markb
Yup, got them in stock & ready to ship.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.