Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 6 coming soon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Nana's_914
The engine is coming out next week. 3.0 in place of the 1.8.
Here's the car. My grandmother got her new in '74.
Click to view attachment

Here's the engine. '78 SC 3.0l.
Click to view attachment

Here's the trans. WEVO915 with GT 60/40 LSD. Keeps the 3.6 option open. idea.gif
Click to view attachment
pete-stevers
That is a three alright!! Wha Hoo!!!
if you are running the cis mount it down one inch it will save you a lot of greif
you are one up on me with that 915
next its is flares and eights out back
when will it end...eh? idea.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com

sure is ashamed to spoil a nice family heirloom car like that.
Nana's_914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 29 2009, 04:56 PM) *

Spoil? How so? I don't intend to cut it up.
Nana's_914
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jan 29 2009, 04:54 PM) *

That is a three alright!! Wha Hoo!!!
if you are running the cis mount it down one inch it will save you a lot of greif
you are one up on me with that 915
next its is flares and eights out back
when will it end...eh? idea.gif

I'm getting pretty excited about it. My 914 was left for dead 10 years in Palm Desert. It barely made it out alive. The 911 donor car was ignored in my friends warehouse for 4 years because of electrical and body issues. Put the two together and a 914/6 is born.
john grier
I am kind of torn on this one.
At first I agree with George, as the 914 looks pristine and is a family treasure.
But at the same time I would want to dump the 1.8 and at the least put in
a 1.7, better yet a 2.0 type four.
This is your car after all and you have the bucks to get the 3.0 then go for it.
Although I have never driven one with a six, I have heard they are less nimble on the lower gears because of the added weight.
Its your car do what is best for you.
John
carr914
That set-up looks stout. Keep the pictures & info coming

T.C.
SirAndy
I'll take the WEVO 915 off your hands if you decide to stick with a /4 ... biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif Andy
Nana's_914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 29 2009, 06:58 PM) *

That set-up looks stout. Keep the pictures & info coming

T.C.

Thanks for the WEVO kit!

I'll take as many pictures of the progress as I can.
Nana's_914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 29 2009, 07:04 PM) *

I'll take the WEVO 915 off your hands if you decide to stick with a /4 ... biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif Andy

So that's the game...HaHa
Talk me out of it and bargain bin my parts.
Justinp71
You're gonna love it!!! driving.gif

You can also flip the CIS system so it clears better (180 degree turn), but you have to do a little fiberglass work to the engine shroud...

Also I would recommend the MSD 6al setup with a high vibratory coil, for ignition, you'll need something with the 3.0 Distributor.
So.Cal.914
I just don't see the sin, these tubs were designed for a Six. Nothing looks more natural in the engine bay.

Now back to the subject..."Damn Your Eyes!" biggrin.gif
Nana's_914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 29 2009, 08:53 PM) *

I just don't see the sin, these tubs were designed for a Six. Nothing looks more natural in the engine bay.

Now back to the subject..."Damn Your Eyes!" biggrin.gif

agree.gif I especially like the fact that even the /4 cars have dimples in the sheet metal where you are supposed to put the /6 oil tank. It's almost as if Porsche wants us to turn them all into /6's. poke.gif
PeeGreen 914
drooley.gif Very nice. This sounds like a very fun project. aktion035.gif
burton73
If you are not in the know on CIS boxes, you should get a backfire valve so you do not blow the box in a backfire. It is simple like a toilet flusher. You can get one at AA or Pelican or any fine parts supplier. They are not much compared to the repair in terms of the part.

A 3.0 is a great engine for the street. Your going to love that car.
hwgunner
Looks like fun. Love the white with the black script. driving.gif
McMark
Very cool! What motor mount are ya gonna run? Come to the Breakfast in Fremont this Sat. and see SirAndy's 3.6 up close.
Nana's_914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 30 2009, 12:21 AM) *

Very cool! What motor mount are ya gonna run? Come to the Breakfast in Fremont this Sat. and see SirAndy's 3.6 up close.

Thanks! Got RJ's bulkhead mount. The breakfast sounds like a fine idea. When I was looking for a donor 911 I found a targa with front end damage converted with a 3.6. I offered the guy what he was asking and he said no. He then tried to raise the price. confused24.gif I walked on the deal, but still think about having a 3.6. drooley.gif
Wanna9146
Ha! I've embarassed more than a few people in their "sports cars" with my 914/6 (2.4l). It still has the stock 914/4 tranny, too (tailshift). I've never driven a 914/4, and couldn't imagine my car with any less HP.

Take a peek in the "For Sale" section.

QUOTE(john grier @ Jan 29 2009, 03:53 PM) *

Although I have never driven one with a six, I have heard they are less nimble on the lower gears because of the added weight.
6freak
QUOTE(Nana's_914 @ Jan 29 2009, 02:06 PM) *

I wont be cut up but you will have ever seem in the car riped with that kind of power and torque..then you will have to weld stiffners here and there.hence cut up ...BUT its is your car so good luck ..and it is very nice the way it sits and worth more money...dont forget bigger brakes
Justinp71
QUOTE(Wanna9146 @ Jan 30 2009, 08:34 AM) *

Ha! I've embarassed more than a few people in their "sports cars" with my 914/6 (2.4l). It still has the stock 914/4 tranny, too (tailshift). I've never driven a 914/4, and couldn't imagine my car with any less HP.

agree.gif

I blew the doors off an M coupe the other day...
Nana's_914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jan 30 2009, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Wanna9146 @ Jan 30 2009, 08:34 AM) *

agree.gif

I blew the doors off an M coupe the other day...

Being faster than an M coupe would be nice. Honestly I hadn't aspired that high yet. I mostly would like to be faster than average cars and SUVs. It kinda sucks getting put in your place by a woman in a Camary. ar15.gif
Nana's_914
QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 30 2009, 11:59 AM) *

I wont be cut up but you will have ever seem in the car riped with that kind of power and torque..then you will have to weld stiffners here and there.hence cut up ...BUT its is your car so good luck ..and it is very nice the way it sits and worth more money...dont forget bigger brakes

Granted, the car will need a few cuts here and there. The upgrade path is quite well laid out for these cars. What works is know and has been time proven. Time proven solutions to know issues will likely be applied when needed, be it cut or weld. Though the car took a nice photo, I would not say it is pristine. The dealership already had their fun with this car cutting holes for the A/C. sawzall-smiley.gif
I certainly wouldn't want to destroy a historic vehicle, but I don' think this case applies. Ultimately the car would be worth more to me with a six and I don't have plans of ever selling it.
Justinp71
Do It!!! Do It!!! Do It!!! biggrin.gif

The only suggestion I would make, is to get all your parts before starting, so atleast the car is drivable for the mean time...
Nana's_914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jan 30 2009, 02:54 PM) *

Do It!!! Do It!!! Do It!!! biggrin.gif

The only suggestion I would make, is to get all your parts before starting, so atleast the car is drivable for the mean time...

I have just about everything already.
I just need to figure induction issues out. It would be nice to just use the CIS, because it fits the personality I would like the car to have. The poor fit in the 914 bugs me though.
JoeSharp
Follow your hart and don't look back. Drop the engine an inch and look into an Audi airbox. There was a thread about it here.
jkp2240
Joe
FYI your link did not work, interested to read it.
John
Nana's_914
QUOTE(jkp2240 @ Jan 30 2009, 04:24 PM) *

Joe
FYI your link did not work, interested to read it.
John

Some links:

AUDI airbox

CIS doesn't fit

Dropped the three 1"
Justinp71

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jan 30 2009, 12:23 PM) *

Follow your hart and don't look back. Drop the engine an inch and look into an Audi airbox. There was a thread about it here.

Do Webbers!!! biggrin.gif

I love em, but they need to be setup correctly, for awhile you could find deals on webbers (when gas was high). I average around 17mpg.

Some times you can find a good deal on motronic too...
Nana's_914
I have lost interest in trying to get the 3.0l to fit "well". I want to sell it and get a 3.2l.
Van914
3.0 fits great in mine. I dumped the CIS and I am running PMO's
Van914
barada
Sweet looking car. Everyone has an opinion of course.
On the 3.0, I would look into metal fuel lines instead of the rubber ones. Pop off valve is a must as if that box blows it will not want to make it home.
That tranny is very nice!
ConeDodger

Are you sure that isn't an LE? White without sailfin vinyl... Hmmm... Nevermind the heirloom but if it is an LE!!!
Zundfolge
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 18 2009, 07:59 PM) *

Are you sure that isn't an LE? White without sailfin vinyl... Hmmm... Nevermind the heirloom but if it is an LE!!!

He said it was a 1.8, weren't all the LE's 2.0s?

So if it IS an LE and someone along the way swapped out the 2.0 for a 1.8, I'm thinking stuffing that 3.0 in it is only going to enhance the value of it.
Nana's_914
Sailfin rolled off in the desert heat, white e-tape is now covering the holes for the chrome trim. And it is a 1.8 for sure, incredibly reliable though...undeniably. The optional wheels and missing front airdam may have thrown you off with the LE call. If this is a rare car by all means please tell me now.
Nana's_914
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ May 18 2009, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 18 2009, 07:59 PM) *

He said it was a 1.8, weren't all the LE's 2.0s?

So if it IS an LE and someone along the way swapped out the 2.0 for a 1.8, I'm thinking stuffing that 3.0 in it is only going to enhance the value of it.

agree.gif
Thank you.
Nana's_914
QUOTE(barada @ May 18 2009, 07:17 PM) *

Sweet looking car. Everyone has an opinion of course.
On the 3.0, I would look into metal fuel lines instead of the rubber ones. Pop off valve is a must as if that box blows it will not want to make it home.
That tranny is very nice!

Thanks. I know it's odd to have a trans worth more than the engine, but that is how this project is gonna roll. happy11.gif
May do some power upgrades later. idea.gif

P.S. - Got SS fuel lines installed. The old vinyl ones scared the sh*t out of me. Especially with moving to a front mount high pressure pump.
Nana's_914
I sold the 3.0 and got an '85 3.2 DME. It arrived today. aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
Nana's_914
Anyone try flipping the intake 180° on the 3.2 to retain the stock airbox?
Al Meredith
I have a real 6 and have the proper engine from it. I would like to install a larger engine when I rebuild the car. MY QUESTION?? can I run a 2.4 L without an external oil cooler. I don't want to cut any metal out of the origional 6. Al
jt914-6
Al. I would think that you get by without an external oil cooler with the 2.4 as long as you don't do DE's or hard driving in hot weather. At least ues a temp. gauge. One option would be to put a small cooler under the rear trunk with ducting or a fan. I'm sure someone out there would have some pics of that type of cooling.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Nana's_914 @ Jul 30 2009, 04:26 PM) *

Thats Awesome! Did you get all the parts for the EFI? I think you need an 02, a flywheel sensor and an adaptor harnesss...
Nana's_914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jul 31 2009, 01:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Nana's_914 @ Jul 30 2009, 04:26 PM) *

Thats Awesome! Did you get all the parts for the EFI? I think you need an 02, a flywheel sensor and an adaptor harnesss...

Thanks. Yes, I got everything to run the DME with the motor and since the motor is an '85 it came with the right flywheel to work with my 915. I had the bellhousing notched to accept the timing pickup. I still need to mod the muffler to work with the WEVO...a few points of interference. The "to do" list is getting short.
Nana's_914
Hello again everyone. It's been a little while since updates.

Trial fitted the engine and trans. Fit nicely. Pulled it right back out. Here's how it sits.
Click to view attachment

GT oil cooler, Vertical spare and Battery are being placed in front. There is a huge hole in the front trunk from factory A/C that needs to be closed up a bit. Found some rust in the rear trunk. Removed the battery tray and found more rust. Luckily hell hole rust is only superficial. More superficial rust on the other side too.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
johnnie5
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 29 2009, 01:56 PM) *

dumbass.gif rolleyes.gif He should be ashamed..... It would be A SHAME to NOT put a kick ass Porsche six in these cars, they beg for it! Hopefully one day my car will have one...
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 29 2009, 03:56 PM) *

I'm sorry... did I miss some part of this where you should give a fuck what he should do to his car?

it's HIS car, HIS family, HIS project. if he wanted to put one of AA's 9014 kits on it would you still shame him? I doubt it. if he wanted AA's Kinesis Rims for it, would you refuse to sell because it would be "a shame" ?

I think it's a kick ass project, and will be a truly great car his whole family can be proud of and enjoy for years to come. it keeps another 914 on the road.

I'll enjoy watching the progress popcorn[1].gif

dakotaewing
Gee Wayne, how do you really feel...??? LOL!!!
tat2dphreak
sorry, the comment put a quarter in my slot... if someone told me the vision I have for MY car was "a shame" I'd be Livid.
johnnie5
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 5 2009, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 29 2009, 03:56 PM) *

I'm sorry... did I miss some part of this where you should give a fuck what he should do to his car?

it's HIS car, HIS family, HIS project. if he wanted to put one of AA's 9014 kits on it would you still shame him? I doubt it. if he wanted AA's Kinesis Rims for it, would you refuse to sell because it would be "a shame" ?

I think it's a kick ass project, and will be a truly great car his whole family can be proud of and enjoy for years to come. it keeps another 914 on the road.

I'll enjoy watching the progress popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif Amen...
Zundfolge
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 29 2009, 02:56 PM) *

Isn't it ironic to see that comment from a guy that has long made what I assume is a decent living selling parts to "spoil" these cars? poke.gif
(hopefully the good doctor will take that as the friendly, light hearted ribbing it was intended).

At any rate, these aren't like Super 90s or 550 Spyders ... unless it happens to be a factory 8 I can't see how putting a larger Porsche engine in one would be considered anything close to "spoiling" (unless you're talking about spoiling the driver biggrin.gif ).

I, for one, wish I could spoil my 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.