Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter/solenoid wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AlanR
Here's my problem. In my enthusiasm over dropping the engine on my 1974 FI 1.8 914, I neglected to properly note some wireing connections. Fortunately I have been able to find what I need from various sources, including this forum. But, I haven't found what I need concerning the starter/solenoid connections.
Here is what my setup looks like:
The solenoid has 5 connections on the end - 2 are the nuts and 3 are male spades with 2 above the nuts and one below. The nut next to the starter has a connection into the starter body.
Attached to the end of the starter is a small box with 5 male spade connectors like
One on each side and one in the middle.
Is anyone out there familiar with this setup? And if so, how should it be wired?
Thanks,
Alan
Cap'n Krusty
A stock starter has 2 posts, one for battery power and one to the starter motor, and 2 tabs on the top, side by side, for the #51 wire, the yellow one with the push on connector. Occasionally there'll be a single tab on the bottom, which is unused in our application. The "box" on the end is a relay, intended to correct a "hot start" problem. It's a band aid for the problem, but it generally helps. The 2 tabs across from each other (they form a T) are for a battery connection (usually taken directly from the battery terminal of the starter), and the wire to the #51 tab. The wire formerly attached to that tab now goes to one of the 2 tabs parallel and across from each other. The remaining tab of that pair is grounded. If you have 5 tabs on the relay, the one in the middle (an extra 87) is unused. Here's the numbers and wires:

30 = battery supply voltage
87 = output to solenoid #51, is usually at a right angle to the others
85 = key start position power (wire #51)
86 = ground

You may reverse 85 and 86, no problem

The Cap'n
AlanR
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 29 2009, 09:09 PM) *

Since this doesn't remotely resemble a stock setup, it would be best if you posted a picture. A stock starter has 2 posts, one for battery power and one to the starter motor, and 2 tabs on the top, side by side, for the #51 wire, the yellow one with the push on connector. Occasionally there'll be a single tab on the bottom, which is unused in our application. The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n I'll take some pics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.