Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheel Replacements...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
Greetings all..

As some of you may have read, I'm soon to purchase a lovely '73 1.7 litre in pretty spiffy condition. mueba.gif

Having driven the cars before I know the only thing that would bother me long term is the steering wheel. I'm used to driving small sports cars with smaller racing wheels, and the larger wheel in the 914 just feels a little clunky to me (although Im sure id get used to it)

I was wondering what all of you guys have done in terms of steering wheels, and how easy it is to get a replacement. Do MOMO kits work well? Are there Porshe Badged replacements that work?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing what y'all have done!

Doug cool.gif
Jeroen
Go here: TC Racing
They have nice wheels and hubs at decent prices

cheers,

Jeroen
ChrisReale
I have a Momo Monte Carlo wheel and Momo hub adapter. Works for me. Its Momo's cheapest wheel, but it serves the purpose... boldblue.gif
Curvie Roadlover
I love the MOMO, plus being smaller than the original, it gives you a bit more leg room when getting in and out of the car. I wish it was a couple of inches closer to me though. I sometimes inadvertently turn on my wipers or trun signals during spirited driving. Anybody know of an available spacer fror a MOMO hub?
kevinseven
I've always used Momos but I'm a bit dissappointed at this last one I bought. It's the "Racer" model and after only a few months some of the seams had spli down in the corners. The area where the leather meets the wheel face has shrunk to reveal some nasty, crusty brown glue. It seems that they just want to glue the whole thing together instead of having exposed stitches.

Maybe it's theses harsh Georgia summers that are too much for the delicate manufacturing process Momo uses these days. An interesting (and pehaps more expensive) alternative might be a Porsche stock sport(?) wheel out of a 930 or something.
Dave Cawdrey
Here are my two. Left: New, typical eBay "deal", although I didnt get it there biggrin.gif Dont get me wrong, I love the 'bay. Keeps me "Off the Streets", if you know what I mean...
Right: In the middle of resto, a Personal (?brand?) made in Italy. I'm leaning toward this one driving.gif
campbellcj
I have a Personal "Fittipaldi" wheel, which was previously in my 911 (sold). It's a 350mm wheel IIRC, and I like it a lot, better than the Momo Monte Carlo's I've also had. The quality is superior IMHO, although the Nardi/Personal hub adapters are quite a bit harder to find these days than the common Momo/Sparco types.
Dave Cawdrey
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 29 2003, 02:14 PM)
I have a Personal "Fittipaldi" wheel, which was previously in my 911 (sold). It's a 350mm wheel IIRC, and I like it a lot, better than the Momo Monte Carlo's I've also had. The quality is superior IMHO, although the Nardi/Personal hub adapters are quite a bit harder to find these days than the common Momo/Sparco types.

So is mine a Fittipaldi as well? "Personal" is stamped on the front. Also has a crown over the "S & O". Came w/ the hub. Traded for 2 sets of rod bearings clap56.gif

Nice pedals btw... The accl. looks like a Spitfire "#1" logo cool_shades.gif
Jeroen
If you're looking for Nardi / Fittipaldi / Raid hubs, check the link above... that's what they sell
At 30 pop a piece, you can't go wrong biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
StratPlayer
My new wheel,, the ebay wheel,, I like it very much and the price was right.
anthony
My new favorite wheel is the 930s wheel. There was a 914-6 at the Roadglue breakfast this moring with this wheel installed. It looked sweet.
anthony
BTW, it looks less shiney in real life.
dagdal1967
Hey,

Some very sweet wheels here!

I'm leaning toward some of the Porsche wheels at the moment as they just look like they are meant for the car... I guess I'm a bit hedonistic in that I like to have the Porsche badge staring me in the face so I am constantly reminded that I am driving my dream!

I'll let you know what I end up with.. Once I'm back to the USA, I'll post pics of my baby and any mods I make to her..

At this point its really only gonna be the Wheel and AirCon.. (A must have in Texas for a daily Driver!)

Thanks again for all the info! biggrin.gif
madd_dogg_914
Here is mine, it is a MOMO Competition series. It has a textured look that really complements the basketweave interior of the 914. And I agree with the gotta have the Porsche emblem staring at you so you are reminded of what you drive, so I put them everywhere! One on the wheel, one on the shift knob, one on the center console, and for passangers that don't remember what the model is I say please refer to the ash tray!
campbellcj
QUOTE(korijo @ Mar 29 2003, 02:50 PM)
So is mine a Fittipaldi as well? "Personal" is stamped on the front. Also has a crown over the "S & O". Came w/ the hub. Traded for 2 sets of rod bearings clap56.gif

Nice pedals btw... The accl. looks like a Spitfire "#1" logo cool_shades.gif

AFAIK "Personal" is a brand of Nardi, which has been around for ages. Nardi makes the spendy wood steering wheels on the 356's, Ferrari's etc. The crown is the Personal logo/crest. My wheel is officially a "Personal Fittipaldi E3". Sounds like a sweet trade you worked...the wheel+hub was almost $300 when I bought it many years ago.

The pedals are the AJ-USA "race" versions. I like 'em a lot. The alloy shift knob is a Momo.
ChrisReale
Heres my interior. Dont mind the hanging wires... laugh.gif Its a Momo Monte Carlo, and the shift knob is a Momo sphere I think
SirAndy
not the best of pix, it's a old MOMO (maybe as old as the car).
i like it better than the newer ones, just needs some new leather ...

http://www.sirandy.com/pix/914/interior2.jpg
Curvie Roadlover
Gentlemen,
If you have a MOMO steering wheel with the MOMO horn button (like I had in the pic above), here's a place that sells the Porsche horn buttons - cheapest I've found. I see them go for $60+ regularly on evilbay. $40 is a good price (IMHO).FVD-USA
jonwatts
Opinions on this momo wheel. They are discontinued and going cheap(ish). It's grown on me a little.

IPB Image
seanery
Looks like a 944 or 996 type wheel.

I think it might look a little, er, too modern for our cars.

a 3 spoke 911 wheel is always good in a teener.
jonwatts
For a stock 914 I'd probably agree. But it might look nice on a slightly massaged 914 like, oh, this one fer example:

IPB Image
anthony
My favorite Momo wheel is the "Race" model. I think it would look great on my silver car.
Jeroen
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Mar 31 2003, 03:16 AM)
Gentlemen,
If you have a MOMO steering wheel with the MOMO horn button (like I had in the pic above), here's a place that sells the Porsche horn buttons - cheapest I've found. I see them go for $60+ regularly on evilbay. $40 is a good price (IMHO).FVD-USA

That's a big rip-off
The same horn-button sells for 25 euro's at FVD Germany!
My guess is that you can just order these through the dealer
They are a standard issue on the GT3 Cup/R/RS cars...

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.