Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! My blinkers won't blink
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
I'm trying to get the electrical straightened out in my 70' project. I have full lights, no flashers and no blinkers. I've checked and double checked all connections and everything is right. I know the bulbs are good. If the key is not on, and I move the indicator left or right the indicator light comes on (not blinking, just solid) in the lenses. I have also replaced the flasher relay with a good known relay. Any ideas? I also don't have dash lights yet. That's the next trial.
SirAndy
Buy a multimeter ...

shades.gif Andy
Nana's_914
Haven't tried this before, but maybe this will fix it.
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=...p;products_id=6
ahdoman
Got a multimeter already, been using it.
SirAndy
Check and rotate the fuses ... Check the grounds ...

Are you getting 12V to the blinker relay?
idea.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Jan 29 2009, 06:55 PM) *

I'm trying to get the electrical straightened out in my 70' project. I have full lights, no flashers and no blinkers. I've checked and double checked all connections and everything is right. I know the bulbs are good. If the key is not on, and I move the indicator left or right the indicator light comes on (not blinking, just solid) in the lenses. I have also replaced the flasher relay with a good known relay. Any ideas? I also don't have dash lights yet. That's the next trial.

They are suppose to. I think its a parking thing.

Ideas
Check your ground again, check the resistence between the ground wire and the tub itself. Did you clean the paint away where it screws to the tub so you get a good connection?
jim_hoyland
Steve,

This link covers all the blinker issues:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=47236&st=0

Jim
904svo
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Jan 29 2009, 06:55 PM) *

That's normal with the switch off, see if your 4 way flashers work with the key off
this will tell you if the flasher is good, if they don't work check for power on fuse #11 both sides while your at it, check fuse #7 (dash light power) with the key on.
Let us know the results.

ahdoman
Paul - checked, cleaned and tested all grounds so I know they are good.
Jim - I think that's it! Thanks! The car and harness is a 70 but the steering column is newer. Also, the Tach is from a 914/6 so it has the 2 indicator arrows. I also think there may be 2 different flasher relays (one early and one late?) but I can only find one in the PET. Not sure of the difference.
underthetire
Wait, let me get this straight. If the turn signal switch is pushed one way or the other and you turn the key off, the turn signal is supposed to stay on ? Mine does this. Is this a crazy Dr. Porsche idea to sell more batteries?
ahdoman
No. My understanding is that it was a European thing. The idea was that if it was foggy and you didn't want to get your car hit on the street you could flip your signal, turn the light on and be seen so that you wouldn't get sideswiped. Not sure how true that is but it was what I was told many years ago.
zambezi
In Europe when you park your car on the street you are supposed to put the turn signal light on the side of the car that is in the street. This leaves that side illuminated to warn drivers by that your car is out in the street. This is especially usefull when parking on narrow roads (as is often the case in europe) and you may even have to park half on and half on the sidewalk. Most post 70 european cars have this feature. Even my 996 has this feature.
JIM
underthetire
Thanks. I just figured it was something else to get around to fixing. piratenanner.gif

Now I know it was for AAA to make frequent visits for a dead battery!
zambezi
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Jan 29 2009, 10:54 PM) *

No. My understanding is that it was a European thing. The idea was that if it was foggy and you didn't want to get your car hit on the street you could flip your signal, turn the light on and be seen so that you wouldn't get sideswiped. Not sure how true that is but it was what I was told many years ago.

Exactly and it is true. I was stationed in Germany for 2 years and had to do this many times. As long as the battery and charging system is good on the car then the small draw from the parking lights on just one side doesn't cause a problem.
JIM
SirAndy
QUOTE(zambezi @ Jan 29 2009, 09:00 PM) *

As long as the battery and charging system is good on the car then the small draw from the parking lights on just one side doesn't cause a problem.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.