Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 V8 tach replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914junkie
What aftermarket V8 tachs will fit the stock hole with little or no modification? Any suggestions?
TC 914-8
QUOTE(914junkie @ Jan 29 2009, 09:55 PM) *

What aftermarket V8 tachs will fit the stock hole with little or no modification? Any suggestions?

Couldn't say, but Auto Meter makes one that looks close.

You can send your 4 cyclinder tach to North Hollywood Speedometer, or Palo Alto Speedo, they both advertise inthe PCA Panorama, and they will retro it for the V-8. Give them a call for a price. I kept the factory unit, a 911 would be better with the individual turn sig, imdicators.
914junkie
I should look into that, I'll give em a call. It would be nice to keep the stock one in it. Even the redline is about the same. I do like some of the new Auto Meter tachs though with the small shift light in the face.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(914junkie @ Jan 29 2009, 10:14 PM) *

I should look into that, I'll give em a call. It would be nice to keep the stock one in it. Even the redline is about the same. I do like some of the new Auto Meter tachs though with the small shift light in the face.

If your car is the one in your avatar, check out ebay( Iv'e seen a few time to time) for a white faced 911 tach, spedo, etc and have then converted for V-8, that would look prety sharp.
underthetire

Can you gut the stock one and mount the internals with the shift light from the new one in the old can with the stock face ? Should work with a little labor.
914junkie
Hmmmm...never thought about it but thats an interesting idea. I'd like to have a shift light just not one of those big ones.
rick 918-S
Marks914

Mark will do it. No hassle, fast turn-a-round great pricing. Mark can add the shift light to a custom face of your choice.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1127782 check his link in his signature.
914junkie
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jan 29 2009, 10:21 PM) *

If your car is the one in your avatar, check out ebay( Iv'e seen a few time to time) for a white faced 911 tach, spedo, etc and have then converted for V-8, that would look prety sharp.

Yeah, it's the one in the avatar, it was a white car originally but thats all white primer on it now. HA! I really need to paint it. But I do like the look of white face guages. Nice car BTW. Are there pictures of it on here somewhere? aktion035.gif
914junkie
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 29 2009, 10:32 PM) *

Marks914

Mark will do it. No hassle, fast turn-a-round great pricing. Mark can add the shift light to a custom face of your choice.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1127782 check his link in his signature.

Thanx for the link Rick. I'll check it out. Whoa! Checked it out, he's got it go'n on in the gauge dept, all kinds of options. Now I just have to make up my mind on which one! Nice, thanx again.
DBCooper
I have one of Mark's quad guages, and there's nothing else that compares. But for aftermarket the VDO X-Treme series aftermarket tachs fit, and they use the same font as the stock guages. You can tell they're a different style, with glossier paint, cleaner glass, bolder font, but it's closer to stock than the Autometer and looks a lot less NASCAR.

IPB Image

The bezels are like all VDO gauges, so they can be finished to match. That control tab on the right attaches with a ribbon connector so it can be put anywhere on the dash. I put mine on the edge of the gauge panel, above and between the tach and speedo. That nub above the VDO logo is a built-in LED shift light that's discrete but bright, and doesn't look ricer. They're all programable, four, six or eight cylinder, and some models even do data recording of up to, if I recall correctly, about two minutes. Best is that they have all modern internals, so the needle is fast, accurate, and rock steady.
marks914
We do V8 tachs all the time. We figurwed that there was no reason to spend $200+ on an aftermarket tach that doesn't fit, so we developed ours. We take the 914 tach can and put brand new VDO guts in it. We can do whatever you want.
Like I said, why pay more for something that just isn't right?

Mark

More on our website:
http://www.newvintageusa.com

Everyone: Thanks for your support!
computers4kids
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 29 2009, 10:32 PM) *

Marks914

Marks914 does excellent work...I wanted the stock look...sort of laugh.gif He added water temp, oil pressure, recalibrated tach, volt meter and few minor needle changes. His work very reasonable and top notch.
IPB Image
914helo
Bigmark also did my guages for my Suby 6 cylinder conversion.
Gauge thread
cobra94563
Sun meter also fits.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(marks914 @ Jan 30 2009, 03:49 AM) *

We do V8 tachs all the time. We figurwed that there was no reason to spend $200+ on an aftermarket tach that doesn't fit, so we developed ours. We take the 914 tach can and put brand new VDO guts in it. We can do whatever you want.

Mark

More on our website:

Wow, Mark,

You do have it going on. I will forget about the NoHo and PA guys and refer anoyone who asks, to you. I'm sure I'll be sending you a gauge or two in the future myself, soon. I dig your LED setup.

Tony
andys
NH Speedo is a good outfit with a good (AFAIK) reputation; been doing it for years. Nice to deal with, but their prices high.

Mark (New Vintage USA) is doing a quad gauge for me as we speak. Answered all my questions, and his email response is fabulious! Everything is made to order, clear choices, nice WEB site.

I'm fortunate with my V8 swap, as the LS1 sends a 4 cylinder signal which allows me to use the stock tach.

Andys
914junkie
QUOTE(marks914 @ Jan 30 2009, 03:49 AM) *

Mark

More on our website:

Sounds good Mark, I'll be in touch soon. Paul.
914junkie
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 30 2009, 03:18 AM) *

I have one of Mark's quad guages, and there's nothing else that compares. But for aftermarket the VDO X-Treme series aftermarket tachs fit, and they use the same font as the stock guages. You can tell they're a different style, with glossier paint, cleaner glass, bolder font, but it's closer to stock than the Autometer and looks a lot less NASCAR.

IPB Image

The bezels are like all VDO gauges, so they can be finished to match. That control tab on the right attaches with a ribbon connector so it can be put anywhere on the dash. I put mine on the edge of the gauge panel, above and between the tach and speedo. That nub above the VDO logo is a built-in LED shift light that's discrete but bright, and doesn't look ricer. They're all programable, four, six or eight cylinder, and some models even do data recording of up to, if I recall correctly, about two minutes. Best is that they have all modern internals, so the needle is fast, accurate, and rock steady.

Thats a good looking tach with some nice features. Wouldn't look out of place on a stock dash at all. That with a quad gauge would make for a great set up. I'll take alook at VDO's website. Thanx for the info.
marks914
Here are a few examples of what we can do with our tachs:
add a gauge
move your redline,
custom colors or fonts
add a shift light
the coices are endless
and at a fair price

Mark

And thanks again for all the support over the years, with the auomotive world in turmoil (my day job), my wife staying at home, and two more mouths to feed, this side job had helped to pull our family through.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.