Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swapping HE from stock '75 1.8 to SS early 1.7/1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledtechguy
I'm wanting to remove the stock '75 1.8L HE and install a nice set of S/S HE (1.7/1.8 style) I ran across a year ago. Will I need to use an early rear hanger or will my late hanger work??

Also, when it comes to S/S HE how can I tell what brand I have?? I don't see any markings on these. The outer shell is fairly shiny S/S. The pipes are non-magnetic but not the shiny S/S. The muffler flanges are not S/S (they are magnetic). Any ideas??

Thanks guys.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 30 2009, 09:47 AM) *

I'm wanting to remove the stock '75 1.8L HE and install a nice set of S/S HE (1.7/1.8 style) I ran across a year ago. Will I need to use an early rear hanger or will my late hanger work??

Also, when it comes to S/S HE how can I tell what brand I have?? I don't see any markings on these. The outer shell is fairly shiny S/S. The pipes are non-magnetic but not the shiny S/S. The muffler flanges are not S/S (they are magnetic). Any ideas??

Thanks guys.

must change the muffler bracket (to early 1.7 1.8 style) the j pipes the warm air elbows the branch pieces and of course the muffler gaskets! Don't know anyone else other than John at Stainless Systems who ever made stainless steel for the 914
rhodyguy
you will also need the correct L&R warm air guides. they attach to the hes and the bottom of the case. the earlier style drivers side piece is specific for either side or tail shift trans linkage.

k
aircooledtechguy
Thanks guys. I just knew it wouldn't be as simple as I had hoped. . .
rhodyguy
easier to install than a stock 75-76 setup and the components should be relatively easy to source.
aircooledtechguy
Hey, I think I have the parts I need after all except for the hanger. Here's what I have, plus not pictured I have the 2 tubes that go vertically for the electric fan feed and the passenger side under cylinder tin. I'm assuming I can reuse my flapper valves (please say yes, please say yes smile.gif )
rjames
I'm assuming I can reuse my flapper valves (please say yes, please say yes

Yes you can. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.