Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Local race shop for alignment / tire mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Looking for a local race shop that knows 914s that I can take mine to do an alignment. It's been four years since I got the car, never aligned/corner balanced so i figure its time. Plus I can have them check the bushings and whatnot, everything looks tight to me though.

I also have a fresh set of 205/50/15s to mount on a set of Panasports. Most tire shops refuse to touch that size, especially a race compound.

Any suggestions in North Jersey or New york west of the river?

I've been to Eurotire before, good work but a little pricey. Hard to schedule time too. Any other ideas?
So.Cal.914
Is Rockaway township to far? Powertech is next door to my Cousins property. I went over to say hi. It looked like a very nice shop. On fridays I would see them leaving in their truck and trailer with their race car. I think Raby knows the Guy, maybe he will jump in.

Home page link
TimT
Powertech is good.

You could always take a ride out to Long Island and we could take care of you.

Shop is just off of the Meadowbrook Pkwy off Merrick Rd.
TimT
BTW, Keith at Powertech has one wicked fast 914
tod914
I don't think you'll find a reasonable shop in NJ. Most are $100 an hour.
yarin
I've heard great things about powertech as well. Had some dealings on the 944 side a few years ago.

It's just hard to justify spending $125 to mount tires that cost $500. Know what i mean?

Thanks Tim!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(yarin @ Jan 31 2009, 07:34 AM) *

It's just hard to justify spending $125 to mount tires that cost $500. Know what i mean?

You want mount & balance for less than $25 a corner?
Would you like some 39-cent premium to go with that?

Mount & balance is gonna be $100 pretty much anywhere you go, especially if you're doing valve stems.

After that, it's just a matter of how much experience and 'ambience' you want for your money. If you want the comfort factor of dealing with a professional shop that will not damage your wheels, a slight premium is a small price to pay (say - less than replacing a wheel, for sure...)

If it's the differential cost that's bugging you, you could always spend more for tires...
rmital
StableEnergies in Garfield.

you'll find no one more familiar with the 914 and will do a great job.
...cash could be a factor, not the cheapest guy on the block
TimT
I know Bob @ Stable is a 914 guy, I didn't think he did and service or set up work though... except on his own car...

Bob ans Laurette are good people..

Stable is one of the my go to places when I need stuff
rmital
QUOTE(TimT @ Jan 31 2009, 09:32 PM) *

I know Bob @ Stable is a 914 guy, I didn't think he did and service or set up work though... except on his own car...

Bob ans Laurette are good people..

Stable is one of the my go to places when I need stuff

...did an alignment on my 914 a few years ago.
Replaced the oil cooler seals too. But the bill definitely motivated me to learn how to do my own work since.

but you get what you pay for...great work!
turboman808
Thats great that there is a place that close to me in Garfield.
auerbach
NNJr is having a program at Stable Energies on 2/14. I have to miss it for the wife, but if you want to meet there during the week -- i'm game. I need a new helmet and some other toys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.