Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
Hello: I have a 914-4 engine out of the car, ready to swap into another car. Engine was a good runner, but, when it got warm, (freeway speed on hot day) the oil pressure got a bit low, not dangerously low, but lower than i like (about 35-40 psi at 3500 rpm as I recall) (my other 914 engine stayed higher at 50-55 psi)

Since the engine is out of the car right now, I'd like to pull the oil pump to inspect it, and replace if its worn.

1. what's the best way to pull the pump without spliting the case? and recommended puller?

2. Might I find oil leaks around the pump after I replace it? (ie is it difficult to reseal the pump once removed?

I ask this, because I recall once someone told me that they are a **itch to remove if you do not split the engine case, and that I would find problems with resealing the pump, unless I split the case to re-install the pump.
Is this a fact?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks dave
Mueller
Hey Dave,

glad to see you back in action, I heard about your work injury.......

I tried to use a slide hammer to remove the pump while the case was still tight and I couldn't get it to budge.
I believe there is a special "bug" tool that will work and is not too expensive.

Got any good running motors? I might be in the market if my rebuild takes too long sad.gif
2-OH!
If the engine is out of the car and if the pump is fully accessable...Loosen all the bolts on the front of the case (just loosen them do not take the nuts off)...You should be able to spin the washers and you know its loose enough...

Use two large screw drivers/blocks of wood on each side and carefully apply pressure on each side and walk the pump out of the case...Very slowly...Be very careful not to break the ears off the pump...If they start to move without the pump, you will have to loosen the case more and eventually split it if all else fails...

Don't forget, after repair (or replace) and it's back in the case, retighten the case to specified torque values...
mightyohm
agree.gif

Loosen the case a little and it will make life easier. You can do it without but you are in danger of breaking off case bits.

Use a rubber mallet to tap the pump as you pry it off. It will make a big difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.