Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fried alternator in V6 car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
i have my second dead alternator in a converted engine 914 (V6 powered) It is a stock 914 alternator. I was wondering if maybe the lack of the forced air cooling (from the original 914 fan via the rubber boot) might have something to do with the short life of the alternator. Does anyone know if running a 914 alternator without the forces air cooling leads to a shortened life?

thanks dave
boxstr
Very well could be your problem, no air, but then you haven't listed your location so all of the factors are not there. You are going to have to pull the alt, get a new one that is OEM for the motor and adapt it to work in the 914. Problem solved and you have a warranty. Also do a complete electrical system check, battery and all ground straps as well as the fuses and any relays. It is just a a step in keep your car running as well as charging and not leaving you by the side of the road.
CCLINOPTIMA
jhs914
I have a V6 in my 914 with the original alternator. Never had a problem. It can get mighty hot under the hood of a modern water cooled car in stop and go traffic, but alternator failures are rare.

I think it is likely a battery or poor ground problem. I fried two alternators in my Chevy truck because the stupid GM sidepost battery had leaked acid on the cable and corroded it. The circuit was not getting a good ground and the alternator must have been working constantly. As soon as I replaced the battery and cable, no more alternator problems.

But then again, I may not know what I'm talking about! wacko.gif
3d914
Dave,

Was the first one you put on new?
And did you put the back cover from the orig alternator on the new one?

If so, the back cover can short against some of the newer rebuilds. Inside it can rub against some big washers and fry itself. I went through three before I discovered this.

Good luck,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.