Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RPM's for stock Pushrods?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
justme
So.....

How high can you go for regular use with stock pushrods? The 1911 I'm putting together should see 5500-6000 rpmon a somewhat regular basis.
Is this ok or do I need chromoly rods?
What are the advantages of going with steel?

Thanks,
Phil
Al Meredith
My experience is that stock springs will only hold up until about 5000RPM I think Heavy Duty single springs will go to about 6000. Someone who knows more about this will add something I'm sure
Jake Raby
What dictates the omission of stock pushrods is the fact that they can't be utilized to alter valve train geometry when one of the 11+ variables that dictate the geometry are altered..

I have used stock pushrods in engines that turned 7,000 RPM back when I was too dumb to realize the risks.. Yes I had failures, but there isn't much I haven't broken over the years.

You should view my camshaft and valve train presentation, then you'lkl understand component compatability better and why the stock pushrods create compromise.

The general rule with valve train is "Overkill Engineering" is the best policy, when valve train parts fail its really nasty and with no apparent symptoms prior to a boom that could make your engine look like Hiroshima inside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.