Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 th gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
Has anyone found an easy way to get 5th gear off the pinion shaft?
None of my gear pullers are anywhere near long enuff to get on the thing.
I "tapped " off smash.gif a shot one but don't want to do that with a good one....or was this shot one an aberration....badly overheated.
Dr Evil
The little grooves on the gear can be used to guide a machine chisel between the gear and the thrust washer. Work it around and it will push the bearing up without damaging it. The bearing is what is holding the whole deal on.
J P Stein
The only thing left on the shaft was the bearing & the gear.......the gear was as tight on the splined shaft as the bearing on it's shaft section. I can get both off at once by tapping the shaft thru the bearing while the bearing edges are supported on a big vice. The bearing was hard up against the pinion gear less one shim. Sacraficing the bearing to get the gear off is an option, I guess. It looks like a 2 inch pipe & a press would be the hot ticket in that case.....naturally I didn't have the pipe or a press in my stash.
J P Stein
A pic.
The *pinion* shaft is in the lower left with the weapon of choice next to it....and #5 well & truely stuck on there at that point.
Dr Evil
Ah, sorry, for some reason I thought you wrote input shaft, not pinion. Why are you trying to get it off? Heat the gear and taps with a brass hammer are the best way.
r_towle
Heat the gear.
Pick up the shaft with welding gloves (cause you REALLY heated the gear...two cigarettes of time)
Then on a wooden bench...slam the shaft onto the bench...on the end without the bearing...do it hard on wood, the wood wont win the fight.
It is a quick a large shock that helped me get it off.

BTW, I had to use a friggen huge ass wrench to get the input shaft nut off after heating it.

Or, considering all the use it would be to you....cut it in half with a grinder.

Rich
914Mike
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 31 2009, 05:26 PM) *

A pic.
The *pinion* shaft is in the lower left with the weapon of choice next to it....and #5 well & truely stuck on there at that point.

I've always had luck using the slide hammer method... WTF.gif

blink.gif Get a big block of solid wood and slam the end of the shaft down as hard as you can, repeat ad nauseum... Dropping the shaft onto the block from a height also worked once... confused24.gif

The gear and bearing eventually slid off.

If it's not moving now it must be cocked on the shaft, try tapping gently with a brass or lead hammer to straighten it out. (Steel is not the material of choice for tapping on hardened steel...)

The pipe would be your best choice, you can use a big hammer to drift the bearing down to the gear, which should straighten out the gear and get it moving.

Good luck! popcorn[1].gif
TimT
Then on a wooden bench...slam the shaft onto the bench...on the end without the bearing...do it hard on wood, the wood wont win the fight.

Thats how I do it.... though I have found you don't need to heat the gear...

just grab the pinion shaft by the gear, and hammer the end of the pinion shaft against a piece of wood...Once you get the gear moving it becomes easier to remove
J P Stein
I got that one off. The pinion, bearing & gear were toast before I started...practice is gud, it's the next one I didn't want to hurt.

I have a new plan. It's good to have extra trannys.

Thanks fellas, I'll give Tim's method a shot when it counts.
Dr Evil
I use the shaft against the wooden bench method normally, if it is stuck I then use the heat and mallet method.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 31 2009, 06:46 PM) *

I use the shaft against the wooden bench method normally, if it is stuck I then use the heat and mallet method.

That's a good back up plan iff'n the other don't work, thanks.
I've always been partial to "heat N' beat". biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Took apart the "good" tranny and the 5th gear slid right off like the rest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.