Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak, strange spot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Error401
I finally got my 74 2.0 running, but now have an oil lean. Thing is, I'm pretty sure it's not the engine. The oil is dripping from the bracket on the tranny that has the pulley for the clutch cable. Forward of that it's dry. I'm going to pull some maintenance tomorrow, so I might get a better look, but is this unusual (ie should I be worried)?

Whitt
ericread
How much oil and tell us about the oil. Consistancy, color, etc.

Could be a number of things, but the amount of oil that is leaking is important to know

Eric
Error401
Ok, best I can remember, it's a dark brown and is definitely not engine oil (that is pretty fresh <1K mi.). It is thicker than 40wt, and the book calls for 90. As for how much, in three weeks of daily driving, there's a 6" spot under where it's dripping where it's parked at night. Parked for an hour or two looks like it yields a drop or two.

I reviewed the transmission manual and it looks like the magnetic drain plug is just below and behind the clutch cable pulley center and behind a plate. The filler plug looks like it's just above and fore of the same point. If that's correct, one or both may not be torqued correctly, since that's where it looked like it was leaking.

I'll definitely have some harder answers tomorrow when I can get a better look.

Thanks
Whitt
ericread
Great! If it's the fill/drain plug then good for you. except the transmission should not be filled aove the drain plug idea.gif

Please post some pictures tomorrow.

Eric wavey.gif
Error401
Will do. Here's the most recent pic of my 914 (about a week ago).

And no, the plates don't mean it's got carbs, I'm the company IT guy.

IPB Image

And this one is circa 1988, when it was my dad's.

IPB Image

Whitt..
ericread
I kinda meant a picture of the oil leak area biggrin.gif
McMark
My vote is output shaft seals. Pretty standard leak and not a difficult fix.
type47
QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 31 2009, 09:27 PM) *

except the transmission should not be filled above the drain plug idea.gif

usual advice about this is to make sure you can remove the fill plug before draining the trans oil. a terrible thing is to drain the trans and not be able to refill it because you can't remove the fill plug! trans should be filled until fluid level in trans drips out of the fill plug (drain plug should be at lowest place in trans to allow all of oil to drain)

where in VA are you located?
Error401
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 1 2009, 12:25 AM) *

My vote is output shaft seals. Pretty standard leak and not a difficult fix.

If this is what a bad one looks like, you're a winner.

IPB Image

The other tell tale was this:

IPB Image

I think CSI calls that "cast off". The driver side looks fine. When you say easy to fix, can replacing that seal be done without dropping the engine?

One other thing, maybe I was reading the exploded diagram wrong, but on my first pic, are the two plugs the reddish spots to the left of the output shaft? I didn't see any plugs where I thought the diagram showed.

@type47 I'm in Roanoke. Vienna is up north of me?

Thanks,
Whitt
McMark
Yup, dead output shafts. Call GPR to get replacements.

The reddish plugs (use a 17mm hex to remove them) are the fill plug (on top) and the drain plug (on the bottom).
Gint
agree.gif But he meant dead output shaft seals, not the shafts themselves. Just so there's no confusion there. smile.gif

They're easy to replace. Don't forget the smear some gear oil on the seal to shaft mating surface of the new seal when you install them and before putting the output shaft back in. If you leave them dry, they'll get fubar'd and won't seal.
ericread
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 1 2009, 03:57 AM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 31 2009, 09:27 PM) *

except the transmission should not be filled above the drain plug idea.gif

usual advice about this is to make sure you can remove the fill plug before draining the trans oil. a terrible thing is to drain the trans and not be able to refill it because you can't remove the fill plug! trans should be filled until fluid level in trans drips out of the fill plug (drain plug should be at lowest place in trans to allow all of oil to drain)

where in VA are you located?

Oops rolleyes.gif You are sooooooooo correct. I meant to say the fluid should not be filled above the fill plug.

Sorry for any confusion that may have caused... unsure.gif
type47

[/quote]

@type47 I'm in Roanoke. Vienna is up north of me?

[/quote]

way north, near DC. keep an eye out for the 914 gatherings at Hershey (late Apr... maybe 25th) and the East Coast Cookout/Mid-Atlantic Mid-Engined Ramble mid Sept.
Error401
[quote name='type47' date='Feb 1 2009, 01:33 PM' post='1128716']
[/quote]
way north, near DC. keep an eye out for the 914 gatherings at Hershey (late Apr... maybe 25th) and the East Coast Cookout/Mid-Atlantic Mid-Engined Ramble mid Sept.
[/quote]

Will do. I was just in Chantilly this past Thursday for work.

btw, is this seal problem serious enough to not drive it until it's fixed? Topping it off every couple days isn't a problem for me until I get the parts in. Also, I kind of figured it was fill the top hole till it can't take no more, not the bottom one. beerchug.gif

Whitt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.