Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter spring replacemrnt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rascobo
How do I replace the shifter springs? I pulled mine to replace some other parts and have been struggling for hours to compress and slide the retaining pins back in. So far no luck. Any Tips?
degreeoff
Hey man...turn down the volume!

I believe I started with one of the pins sticking through the hole enough to engage the end of the spring then using a putty kniffe I pryed it in by using the inside of the other side of the housing slowly pushing the pin in to keep the spring striaght as I went....

If that doesnt make sense I appologize but its been a long day and I see it perfectly in my mind!

Josh
rascobo
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jan 31 2009, 06:57 PM) *

Hey man...turn down the volume!

I believe I started with one of the pins sticking through the hole enough to engage the end of the spring then using a putty kniffe I pryed it in by using the inside of the other side of the housing slowly pushing the pin in to keep the spring striaght as I went....

If that doesnt make sense I appologize but its been a long day and I see it perfectly in my mind!

Josh

So Sorry, I'll try, but
if I do then can't see. laugh.gif
johnnie5
I put zip tie's through the springs with the pins in them. Compress springs and cinch tie's as tight as they will go then install pins into shifter plate. Then cut zip tie's and remove.
Hope that works for you, it did for me!
roadster fan
The manuals say to modify a flat head screwdriver so it has a "nub" that fits into the center of the spring so you can push it into place as you slide the pin thru. I dont have a pic handy, hopefully someone will post one for you.

Jim
rascobo
Thanks Guys,

Great Ideas all. I'll attack it again this morning, with better results I'm sure.

Growing older....it's not for wussies!

In the twenty years I've had this car I believe the only component I have'nt personally torn down and reassembled (at least once) is the trans-axle, The irony is, much of the knowledge gained during those years has been slowly dripping out the gaps in memory that have formed over the same period. headbang.gif ......On the plus side, I can re-read the same 'who done it' about every three months now! av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.