Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Not too much left to remove... and you think 914's rust?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
This is my friends Mercedes. I think I got carried away with this one. confused24.gif screwy.gif shades.gif
championgt1
Holy crap. Is that a 190?
Todd Enlund
It's not a 190SL.

Based on the one piece of sheetmetal that is left, I'd guess 450SL?
plymouth37
That will buff right out, just spray on a couple coats of high build primer and she will be good as new!
smontanaro
Interesting scaffolding underneath (what's left of) the car. Is that homebrewed?

rick 918-S
The car is a 280SL Here's how it started. It was going to be a simple job of repairing some hack brazing work that rusted around the fender attachments around the hood opening. The front fenders and quarter panels were replace probably in the late 70's or early 80's. These cars rust bad enough on their own without added a toorch and brass to the equation. When you see a nice 280 don't be fooled they are all like this until you poke and prod around the edges. Oh the fixture is home brewed. I built it to help control sag.
buck toenges
Can you get repro metal for them?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Feb 1 2009, 08:36 AM) *

Can you get repro metal for them?

Yep, and you can still buy OEM. And what's not available form the dealer you can get in the after market.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.