Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: this weekend's projects
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
I spent some time in the garage this weekend and finally finished some long over due projects on my 914.

1. I got the 964 OBC (On Board Computer in the tach) to switch between modes by pulling the 914 windshield washer stalk. I've had the OBC installed for years, but it was always stuck in the MPH mode as I had no method to switch between modes. I installed a small push-button switch in the stalk to switch modes. So far works great!

2. For whatever reason, the steering wheel adpater and extension that I used left a big ugly gaping hole in the steering column. Not my best work, but I cut, JB welded, and painted a PVC pipe cover. Not great, but certainly better than before...

3. Rebuilt my center seat pad with a metal brace to support more weight. Several years ago, I made a small wood/foam/leather cover for my between the seats. It covers the brake bias adjuster and some relays. It also holds the seat heater controls. When I first built it, I overlooked how much weight this actually supports when getting in out of the car and it cracked a while ago. Anyways, some left over sheet metal, a vice, and pounding and it's very, very strong now. And heavy. sad.gif Hmmm... I should have drilled it out. Anyways, it's shape is back and it can serve as a very unsafe 3rd seat again.

4. Painted turn signal and windsheild wiper (and now OBC) levers.

5. Removed stickers (was fun for a little, but needed a change again), and am back to pure signal orange.

I don't think I ever posted photos of my front trunk with the [pretty] new spare, so here are some photos of it too.

Operate OBC via stalk:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Painting:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Spare:
IPB Image

Making the box:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

All done:
IPB Image

IPB Image
siverson
Here is a video of the OBC via 914 stalk in action. Not a great video, but you get the idea...

IPB Image

LarryR
QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 1 2009, 11:00 PM) *

Here is a video of the OBC via 914 stalk in action. Not a great video, but you get the idea...

IPB Image

Very cool! I like having an outside temp guage. I would have never thought to put one in the teener but very cool .

PeeGreen 914
Nice work. Looks as though you are rather crafty beerchug.gif . Nice Monster too aktion035.gif
Gint
Nice work Steve. What gauge is that sheet? Looks pretty thick in the pics.
Michael N
pray.gif
rick 918-S
Top notch as usual Steve! aktion035.gif
jd74914
Nice!

That looks like .100 sheet.
siverson
> Nice work Steve. What gauge is that sheet? Looks pretty thick in the pics.

I'm not sure. It was left over scrap metal in the garage... Probably 12 or 14 gauge.
McMark
Super cool. Nice work.
Eric_Shea
Wow. smilie_pokal.gif

Off the wall question. How is the spare afixed? I see the center cap so... makes me wonder.
siverson
> is the spare afixed? I see the center cap so... makes me wonder.

I moved the stock 914 "spare wheel nut holder" (for lack of a better term) from the floor to the trunk wall, and then just made a really long "wheel bolt" out of threaded rod and a spare steel wheel nut.

I could have mounted the spare facing the other ways and it actually would have been easier since the wheel bolt could be much shorter, but it wouldn't look as pretty this way when I get gas. smile.gif

-Steve
Eric_Shea
I moved the stock 914 "spare wheel nut holder" (for lack of a better term) from the floor to the trunk wall, and then just made a really long "wheel bolt" out of threaded rod and a spare steel wheel nut.

Ahhh... wheel bolt. I did the exact same thing with my "spare wheel nut holder" (we'll run with that) biggrin.gif but I have the hold down that goes in the center cap. I have mine mounted the other way as mentioned and that's exactly why I was asking... lol3.gif

Did you weld the rod to an old 914 style lug bolt or... ??? Because the thread pattern isn't the same if I recall.
siverson
> Did you weld the rod to an old 914 style lug bolt or... ???

That would work, and that's actually what I did first - welded cut 914 lug bolt to a 911 wheel stud.

But I'm really anal retentive sometimes, and didn't like how the stud changed diameter mid-way. So, I found a 3' length of threaded rod that matches up with the 914 end. We have a great local hardware store (Marshalls in San Diego if anyone cares) that seems to have EVERYTHING.

Then, I just wrapped the threaded rod with some tape to center the 911 wheel nut on the rod (the 911 nut is too large for the threaded rod) and then welded the nut on the end of the rod (and the tape all went up in flames). With lots of grinding and paint my weld actually looks nice. wink.gif

I'll look for some photos...

-Steve
Eric_Shea
With lots of grinding and paint my weld actually looks nice.

LOL... I see we have a lot in common. No need for pics. It gave me an idea. Thanks! wink.gif
siverson
Here you go...

siverson

rjames
What paint did you use on the signal levers?
siverson
> What paint did you use on the signal levers?

Home Depot's finest gloss black. smile.gif Semi gloss or even flat may be even better...

Mine were worn, and I also wanted to cover up the "wash" label.
Steve
Steve,

Car looks great. Curious your web site still shows the Vellios kit. I thought you switched over to the wevo. Also curious what shifter are you using with your 915? I have the same OBC in my 96 993 Tip. Love it!! It would be nice to dump the bouncy gauges in my 914.
Dr. Roger
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
siverson
> Curious your web site still shows the Vellios kit. I thought you switched over to the wevo. Also curious what shifter are you using with your 915?

Nope, always used the Vellios. I did the conversion pre-Wevo, which is probably a much better way to go now.

It's the Rennshift, which also looks like it's been updated since I did the conversion:

http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/911/rennshift_911.htm

Steve
Steve,

Are you happy with the Vellios trans kit? Does it shift well? I have heard nothing but bad things about the vellios kit.
TC 914-8
Excelent job, Steve, on the interface of the OBC and gauges. Your car looks very sharp, mechanicaly and appearance.

How about some engine picts?

Steve,

It's been several years since I've seen your -6..still looks great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.