Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JB weld? - 928 screw up....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
Was at a Superbowl party where a pal showed up in an older, fairly beat 928. We started tinkering but primarily just did some cleaning. It was a nice day, so we did some degreasing of the motor - it actually came out pretty darn nice. As I was wiping off the intake, I took a small wire brush around the silver Porsche crest located on the top just to get some last remaining yuck out of the pours of the intake. I didn't even get the chance to actually scrub - the crest came off with litterally no pressure.
It is not a mechanical fit and you can see the remnance of some type of clear/yello epoxy.

I felt terrible. Will something like JB weld work to repair this? Any other suggestions? I am concerned about the heat. I dont want to add to this guys pain by having this crest fall into the belts later on -although it was pretty clear that this was close to happening already.

I just used Simple Green to clean the thing - I cant imagine that would have eaten away at that epoxy.

Here is a pic.

Thanks -
Scott S
mightyohm
I think it would be worth a try. JB Weld is rated to very high temperatures.
You have to clean everything very thoroughly first. If both surfaces are somewhat porous that should give the JB Weld more "bite".
brant
JB weld should work
make sure you de-grease the mating surfaces to get it to stick

another option might be RTV
its heat, gas, and oil resistant and sticks well to stuff

b
Eric_Shea
JB would be my choice.
anderssj
I've had very good luck with "Marine-Tex Gray"--but it takes longer than JB to set up . . .
Joe Ricard
JB weld works great IF. You say to your Buddy "Hey Hold my beer"

What it works everytime for me.

Dang that almost looks like my old car. Except the washer tank filler spout isn't broken off.
rick 918-S
I would use Yamabond 4. Get the silver stuff. It looks like aluminum so it will blend well if a little should show at the edge of the crest. It drys like hard rubber or vinyl. I would use JB hi-temp if you don't have Yamabond.
charliew
That intake will probably never see 250 f so I would think a good silicon gasket maker like the yamer hammer bond or honda bond will work good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.