Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyway to test a 1.8 air flow sensor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I have two 74 1.8 pars cars (I know, its a sickness) both cars are beyond running, but the air flow sensor looks to be in great shape. I would like to verify that they are working and other than installing them on a running 1.8 how can I test them?

yes I plan to sell them, but I don't want to sell non working parts.

Thanks
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 2 2009, 03:23 PM) *

I have two 74 1.8 pars cars (I know, its a sickness) both cars are beyond running, but the air flow sensor looks to be in great shape. I would like to verify that they are working and other than installing them on a running 1.8 how can I test them?

yes I plan to sell them, but I don't want to sell non working parts.

Thanks

most every time they just mechanically fail with the flap sticks. Make sure that you test it hot after it expands as the flap may not stick cold but may hot.
r_towle
It must send a voltage signal based upon flapper location.
First, Like the Doctor says, make sure the flapper works.
Then, look for the pinout (check the L-Jet site in 914Info at top of page)

Feed it with the right voltage on the right pin, it should provide a scale of voltage as the result.

Rich
ejm
Inside the AFM there is a fixed resistance, a variable resistance and a switch. With an ohm meter and a diagram these components can be tested. The switch should close when the flap is opened slightly and the resistance should vary smoothly. The Dr. pointed out the common mechanical failure. On the electrical side the usual failure is wear of the wiper components causing bucking or flat spots. If the black cover has been removed someone may have tried adjusting it and it may never be right again.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.