Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTF, stupid parts monkies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I decided that one of my rod bearings looked dodgy and figured I would buy a new one. Well, I see that they are $7 per rod and figured I would just replace all of them since I am being over cautious and didnt like using the ones I have that are new, but that were conditioned with a scotch brite pad (different story). So, 1 rods worth is $7 and that means that 6 rods worth would be $42, right? So I order 6 of them....the parts monkeys email me and tell me that they are for individual and if I would like a set I can buy the Clevite (others are GM) set for $67...WTF.gif dry.gif So much for getting the stuff in the mail today. This is for the corvair engine, in case ya'll were wondering.
VaccaRabite
So you would be the smart parts monkey?
Zach
Wilhelm
The parts guy was probably confused and thought you had the Corvair 9 and 2/3 cylinder engine. elvira.gif
Dr Evil
"So you would be the smart parts monkey?
Zach"

GET MY BEER! Boddington's is the lubricant that will get your car done poke.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 2 2009, 03:14 PM) *

I decided that one of my rod bearings looked dodgy and figured I would buy a new one. Well, I see that they are $7 per rod and figured I would just replace all of them since I am being over cautious and didnt like using the ones I have that are new, but that were conditioned with a scotch brite pad (different story). So, 1 rods worth is $7 and that means that 6 rods worth would be $42, right? So I order 6 of them....the parts monkeys email me and tell me that they are for individual and if I would like a set I can buy the Clevite (others are GM) set for $67...WTF.gif dry.gif So much for getting the stuff in the mail today. This is for the corvair engine, in case ya'll were wondering.

By any chance do you need a Corvair clutch disc? I bought the new GM parts many years ago and have no use for it.
Bruce
Dr Evil
Nice of you to offer, but I am doing a power glide auto so no disk needed.
Thanks, though! smile.gif
Wilhelm
So is the corvair engine going in a 914, the bus or some other project? My uncle built a bug with a corvair engine some 25 years ago or so. IIRC he got the kit from JC Whitney and it may have involved a reverse rotation camshaft .
sixnotfour
I know its for your corvair engine , But FYI Porsche sells the halves individually, but they come boxed as a set. The dealers have been struggling with that for years sometimes they are 1/2 price, sometimes they are twice as much.
ericread
So tell the monkey "no thanks" and buy six individual units. You're back to $42.00.

There was an old, old movie where Jack Nicholson wanted wheat toast.

It happens in a roadside restaurant. Jack orders wheat toast, which is not on the menu. But the waitress insists they do not have toast because it is not on the menu and she should strictly stick to the rule of the restaurant.

Jack: "You make sandwiches. So you have bread, don't you? I guess you have a toaster of some kind?"

Waitress: "I don't make the rules"

Jack: "Give me a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, which is on the menu, no lettuce, no mayonnaise, and a cup of coffee."

Waitress: "A chicken sal san, hold the mayo, the lettuce and a cup of coffee. Anything else?"

Jack: "Yes, Now I would like you to hold the chicken, bring me the toast, charge me for the sandwich, and you have not broken any rules."

Waitress: "You want me to hold the chicken, too?!"

Jack: "Yeah, I want you to hold it between your knees."

======================
I knew watching old movies would some day pay off!

Eric wavey.gif

Dr Evil
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Feb 2 2009, 07:48 PM) *

So is the corvair engine going in a 914, the bus or some other project? My uncle built a bug with a corvair engine some 25 years ago or so. IIRC he got the kit from JC Whitney and it may have involved a reverse rotation camshaft .

This is the 3.1L that I am building for the 74 westy smile.gif
Wilhelm
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 2 2009, 06:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Feb 2 2009, 07:48 PM) *

This is the 3.1L that I am building for the 74 westy smile.gif

So......... Where does the powerglide fit in? Is this gonna be some sort of front engine westy, mid engine westy or some sort of Powerglide-Toronado-transaxle-or-V-Drive-FrankenWesty???
Dr Evil
The PG will be mated to the corvair engine just as it was in the corvair confused24.gif
charliew
A friend has two corvairs setting in his pasture with about ten type III's One with a 2180 t1 with a roller crank. He's moved on to old tractors.
sww914
I think if you buy 6 bearings you'll end up with enough for 3 rods.
Dr Evil
Um, read what I wrote, one RODS worth. Not 6 bearings, 6 RODS worth. rolleyes.gif
sixnotfour
agree.gif
Wilhelm
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 2 2009, 07:14 PM) *

The PG will be mated to the corvair engine just as it was in the corvair confused24.gif

Dumb me, I had only seen manuals in corvairs, sure makes sense they would have had an automatic trans for these. Can the corvair automatic take much juice without grenading?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Feb 2 2009, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 2 2009, 07:14 PM) *

Dumb me, I had only seen manuals in corvairs, sure makes sense they would have had an automatic trans for these. Can the corvair automatic take much juice without grenading?

IIRC, it is a cast iron Powerglide based transmission. The cast iron Powerglides are Bulletproof. Crank 6 or 700 horses through them and then don't even flinch. Great drag racing transmissions.

Dr Evil
Yup, cast iron pig of a box that could be used to run a tank smile.gif It is cheap to rebuild as well, $200 for all the parts.
Wilhelm
How about the diff in these? Whats the diameter and can they take any abuse. Seem to recall with the manuals the weak point was the main input shaft. IRRC there was a manufacturer that made a replacement mainshaft, maybe Crown? Same uncle with the bug with corvair engine also built a Chapparal http://www.chaparralcars.com/2e.php which was essentially a mid engine kit car from the 70's. He had a 327 in it. Also IRRC the diff was prone to wearing out as it ran backwards rather than inverted.
Dr Evil
So, I get an email that my package has shipped....total $17. I guess they refused to sell me 6 single sets rolleyes.gif What ever, I only needed one set of 2 anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.